Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slime in Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 07:58 PM
Silver Fox
Club Member
Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

I didn't seem to have a problem with the tubes holding air before I used Ride-On, and this product would have no impact on the tube holding air. It would only seal a leak where it is riding in the tire.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:07 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Don't do it.
I used to use slime and loved it, no balance problems, and it sealed several nails holes over the years.
That being said, do not use it on aluminum rims, it has pitted mine so bad on the inside that they are almost ruined.
I used it for about four five years on at least that many tires, I did not notice the damage until it was to late. I spent a day trying to neutralize the corrosion.
Use the ride on.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:06 AM
Krustee
Road Captain
Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

I use slime in my lawn tractor tires and it works great. That said, I would never put it in my bike's tires. To the OP: Why are you worried about a blowout using tubes? Seems to me that a tubed tire would be less likely to have a catastrophic failure than a tubeless.

Dan

Old 10-27-2014, 07:57 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

After watching this video below and doing some research I've thought about adding "Ride-on".
However for the price, it might not be a bad idea to also add the Slime Kit with compressor to the tool kit just in case the "Ride-on" fails.

Last edited by Bluraven; 10-27-2014 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:35 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,250 Likes on 8,383 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven
After watching this video below and doing some research I've thought about adding "Ride-on".
However for the price, it might not be a bad idea to also add the Slime Kit with compressor to the tool kit just in case the "Ride-on" fails.

Ride-On Tire Sealant = Indestructible Tires! (almost...) - YouTube
The Ride On will still do a lot better than Slime. However, they shouldn`t have done that last test as long as they did. They killed the tire with an extended burnout, and it didn`t show anything about how well the Ride On continued to seal the tire before the burnout ruined the tire.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:27 PM
amkaos
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Should I remove ALL wheel weights before using rideon?
And trust no matter what?
And do we just leave the stuff in tube when changing the tires?
Wouldn't that affect balance on new tire?
Thx

Last edited by amkaos; 10-27-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:51 PM
Silver Fox
Club Member
Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

I will probably get some stain for this, but I've used the same tube for a few tire changes. I would say it is one advantage to having tubes. Take the weights off. On the Ride-On site they say there may be a little shake till the product evens out, I have never noticed any shimmy.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:11 AM
MNtadpole
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tripleb1911
Friend of mine that builds bicycles and is a pretty big bicycle freak told me if you have tires with tubes you should put this product in there called Slime

Supposedly the tires will run cooler and will resist punctures in the tube.

Has anyone heard of this stuff?

Thanks.
@TripleB: As a huge bicyclist myself, im quite familiar with one such product. There is product out there called Stan's No Tubes Sealant, which is a liquid puncture sealant. It used micro sized particles to create the seal and then dries. Now, i have personally used this product in a specialized tubeless bicycle tire system that i have, of which the product was originally intended for...i can't really say how well it would work on a bicycle with an inner-tube. I think the product works great as advertised, and i continue to use it to this day. Check it out at www.notubes.com

Old 10-29-2014, 08:36 PM
Falcon195
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Beings "Ride On" is water soluble. Is there an issue with cold weather when you store your bike in an unheated garage?

Old 10-29-2014, 10:11 PM
UT-rckr
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Slime will not prevent a blowout, just seal a leak, like from a thorn. That's why a lot of bicyclers use it. I have in my bicycles before, but I have noticed in every tube I have ever put it in, after a while of sitting, the tube seems to lose air. I always have to pump up the tire before riding, and this is on brand new tubes. For that reason alone I would never use it on a motorcycle, not to mention the balancing issues. I can't speak to the ride on stuff.

Quick Reply: Slime in Tires