Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jack's Night Train winter build in the Dirty Bear Garage

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 03:40 PM
gatorfrey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jack's Night Train winter build in the Dirty Bear Garage

I am starting a general thread on a make over on a 2008 Night Train.
Since I am a little into it, I had better start with who Jack is, and what is done so far. Hopefully, it will help others on different points. Much I learn as I go, some, I learn from this forum.
First, who is Jack???
Here he is.

Attached Thumbnails Jack's Night Train winter build in the Dirty Bear Garage-p7060056.jpg  
Old 10-26-2014, 03:49 PM
gatorfrey
Cruiser

Jack came from the One Eyed Jack website in Sturgis.
We let him into the home even though he had a history and a record.
I have caught him smoking and drinking, he swears, and whistles at girls when they walk by, sometimes saying crude things. But he loves to ride.
A week after we let Jack into our home in northern Arizona, Bike Week happened.
Literally on the drive back, I resolved to take a ride to Colorado and pick up a 2008 Night Train with 7,500 miles on it. Jack had told me about it, so I went and picked it up the next weekend.
Northern Arizona in the White Mountains is beautiful riding, so the rest of the summer, Jack, Teddy (my lady friend) , and I rode (I ride with the bears).

Attached Thumbnails Jack's Night Train winter build in the Dirty Bear Garage-p4150010.jpg   Jack's Night Train winter build in the Dirty Bear Garage-p4150015.jpg  
Old 10-26-2014, 03:59 PM
gatorfrey
Cruiser

I had a short in the handlebars, later I would find out why, and changed out the seat for my lady friend, with a bar I had powder coated. I also changed out the tail light to the tribar led, and added black levers. The tank got a lift and the coil got relocated, both courtesy of DK, who makes some nice stuff.
The pegs and grips looked good, but on a long ride, I found alloy grips and pegs are not so cool after vibrating a while. So, I started ordering parts, and resolved to change out the handlebars for comfort and cool also, while solving the short in the old handlebars.

Attached Thumbnails Jack's Night Train winter build in the Dirty Bear Garage-p7060059.jpg   Jack's Night Train winter build in the Dirty Bear Garage-p7060058.jpg   Jack's Night Train winter build in the Dirty Bear Garage-p7060061.jpg  
Old 10-26-2014, 04:19 PM
gatorfrey
Cruiser

So, she's going black at every turn. I ordered Flanders 10 inch mini apes, in black, drilled for internal wiring. I took the old handlebars off, and found my wiring problem. The old grip had a bearing on the end that made the throttle grip fit about 1/2 father out. That would not be a problem on external wiring, but it moved the brake lever housing into a pinch mode that shorted out my wires so bad, the front brake line started smoking and melted the plastic over the braided line!
So I took the new handlebars in the house, laid them on the dining table, and completely rewired the wires with color matched,soldered, and double heat shrink wrapped. And length is correct. I found a link for the braided plastic wire sheathing that , among others, Harley Davidson gets theirs from, and covered everything. BTW, the actual running the wires internally took only a few moments. I saw where someone questioned on another thread the charge a dealer does. I see it. Being ****, I would charge a grand to do that wiring job again!! But, it is right.
I added 3 inch LA Chopper risers with new urethane bushings. All is good.
Added Kuryakyn Iso grips, and the palm thingie for hand-to-bike contact and comfort.
Then I raised my cables to mount, and found I am short. So, LA Choppers again, sending 7 over cables, UPS has them, so we will see soon if they fit.
If yes, I can remount my tank and start going together there.
You will see lots of things off the bike. More on that later.
And I did install Progressive 422's, set at 2 inch drop, and set for 2 up weight. It was easier with the exhaust off. Exied's are on BTW. We will see how that does.

Attached Thumbnails Jack's Night Train winter build in the Dirty Bear Garage-pa120012.jpg   Jack's Night Train winter build in the Dirty Bear Garage-pa260022.jpg   Jack's Night Train winter build in the Dirty Bear Garage-pa260023.jpg  

Last edited by gatorfrey; 10-26-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:33 PM
gatorfrey
Cruiser

Now we are nearly current.
Today I put on the ring led front turn signals. It was not hard at all.
I had wired the harness together and previously removed the old turn signals. I got to do like the TV show and toss the old blinkers across the garage
The top bolts were taped all over, so as not to scratch them. They come loose very easy. Then the lower tree on the back side has 2 bolts that get loosened. Not bad.
Then you grab the fork and slowly twist them down (bike is in the air), and it dropped right down. Slipped the ring on, and tighten everything back up. No problem, unbelievable! I always run into some thing, but this went very easy.
I did test these before I put them on. They are bright as heck. I also have the diode package for daytime running lights in the harness, so it cannot be seen. The headlight, lower tree, and foot peg stuff were all powder coated with the shifter and brake levers. The highway peg extension is also Kuryakyn, and had to be done in black. some bolts are off and at the coaters at this time.
We are now somewhat current, and I will add as things change. Any questions I will be happy to answer.

Attached Thumbnails Jack's Night Train winter build in the Dirty Bear Garage-pa260013.jpg   Jack's Night Train winter build in the Dirty Bear Garage-pa260014.jpg   Jack's Night Train winter build in the Dirty Bear Garage-pa260015.jpg   Jack's Night Train winter build in the Dirty Bear Garage-pa260016.jpg   Jack's Night Train winter build in the Dirty Bear Garage-pa260017.jpg  

Last edited by gatorfrey; 10-26-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:37 PM
gatorfrey
Cruiser

More pictures of the ring install.

Attached Thumbnails Jack's Night Train winter build in the Dirty Bear Garage-pa260018.jpg   Jack's Night Train winter build in the Dirty Bear Garage-pa260019.jpg   Jack's Night Train winter build in the Dirty Bear Garage-pa260020.jpg   Jack's Night Train winter build in the Dirty Bear Garage-pa260021.jpg   Jack's Night Train winter build in the Dirty Bear Garage-pa260001.jpg  

Last edited by gatorfrey; 10-26-2014 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:47 PM
gatorfrey
Cruiser

A couple of powder coated parts.
You will see I removed the passenger peg mount, and filled the hole with a fender strut bolt cut down. I won't need them on the strut. Changes coming there, and where the passenger foot rest will be.
So, that is loosely it up to today, 10/26/2014. When the thread kicks back to the top when I add something, I hope it is interesting to a few.
Now, I need to get back in the house. I think Jack is rooting around in the medicine cabinet!

Attached Thumbnails Jack's Night Train winter build in the Dirty Bear Garage-pa260026.jpg   Jack's Night Train winter build in the Dirty Bear Garage-pa260024.jpg   Jack's Night Train winter build in the Dirty Bear Garage-pa260027.jpg  
Old 11-01-2014, 02:38 PM
gatorfrey
Cruiser

Today Jack wanted to install the new cables from Barnett. These are platinum cables 7 inch over for 10 inch mini apes and 3 inch risers.
I went with throttle cable only before ordering the rest, in case of a length problem.

Attached Thumbnails Jack's Night Train winter build in the Dirty Bear Garage-pb010001.jpg   Jack's Night Train winter build in the Dirty Bear Garage-pb010002.jpg  
Old 11-01-2014, 02:47 PM
gatorfrey
Cruiser

I got the cables on and adjusted out. I then glued in my new passenger side grip and sat where the seat is supposed to be and tried side-to-side turning.
The cables ride against the upper tree.
The hard truth, I think, is they are too long. a $150.00 guess on length. I would guess maybe 4 inch over. Which will be my next move, while I am still waiting on my powder coater and some vendor work on other parts.
What do you guys think? Reorder, right?
Also remounted the tank with the DK 2 inch lift front,1 inch rear.

Attached Thumbnails Jack's Night Train winter build in the Dirty Bear Garage-pb010003.jpg   Jack's Night Train winter build in the Dirty Bear Garage-pb010005.jpg   Jack's Night Train winter build in the Dirty Bear Garage-pb010004.jpg   Jack's Night Train winter build in the Dirty Bear Garage-pb010007.jpg  
Old 11-02-2014, 12:29 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

I have 12" TODD's that I want to install with 1.5" Black Covington risers.

What length cable kit do you recommend for my bar and riser selection?

Quick Reply: Jack's Night Train winter build in the Dirty Bear Garage