Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone move specifically from a FatBob to a Breakout?

Old 10-27-2014, 02:02 PM
HyperM3
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Anyone move specifically from a FatBob to a Breakout?

I currently have a 2013 FatBob which I really love and have modified it to where its "mine". It handles fantastic for a cruiser and even though Ive had sport bikes in the past, Im happy with the lean angles though scraping on this thing.

Yesterday, I went to the local dealership with my best friend because he is finally thinking of giving up either his Monster or Street Triple for a cruiser. Ive been trying to get him into one for a while now. Last time we were there he took out a sportster but that just didnt do it for him. This time, he took out the new Low Rider and he loved it.

Since I was going on the demo ride with him I decided to take out a bike also. I saw a beautiful FatBoy Low and took that out. Wasnt really in the market for a new bike but wanted to see what a softtail rode like.

Needless to say, other than the cramped seating position for me, I really Liked it. It was very compliant over the bumps in the road which I wasnt expecting and the engine was buttery smooth. The only thing that was super unnerving to me was how terrible the lean angle was. On every turn I felt like I was looking down at the floorboards so I wouldnt scrape. This would drive me nuts if I owned this bike. I like to corner carve.

So I started doing research and I saw the relatively new Breakout which has what I like about my bike, drag bars and forward controls, on a softtail chassis. Even though Ive read that it has a tendency to scrape on cornering, it seems its mostly the 1" long feelers(that can be removed) that do most of the scraping. Or I can just change pegs entirely.

What I really want to know is if anyone has specifically moved from my bike to the new Breakout and if they are happy with the move or regret getting rid of the Dyna.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:42 PM
saddlebag
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperM3
I currently have a 2013 FatBob which I really love and have modified it to where its "mine". It handles fantastic for a cruiser and even though Ive had sport bikes in the past, Im happy with the lean angles though scraping on this thing.

Yesterday, I went to the local dealership with my best friend because he is finally thinking of giving up either his Monster or Street Triple for a cruiser. Ive been trying to get him into one for a while now. Last time we were there he took out a sportster but that just didnt do it for him. This time, he took out the new Low Rider and he loved it.

Since I was going on the demo ride with him I decided to take out a bike also. I saw a beautiful FatBoy Low and took that out. Wasnt really in the market for a new bike but wanted to see what a softtail rode like.

Needless to say, other than the cramped seating position for me, I really Liked it. It was very compliant over the bumps in the road which I wasnt expecting and the engine was buttery smooth. The only thing that was super unnerving to me was how terrible the lean angle was. On every turn I felt like I was looking down at the floorboards so I wouldnt scrape. This would drive me nuts if I owned this bike. I like to corner carve.

So I started doing research and I saw the relatively new Breakout which has what I like about my bike, drag bars and forward controls, on a softtail chassis. Even though Ive read that it has a tendency to scrape on cornering, it seems its mostly the 1" long feelers(that can be removed) that do most of the scraping. Or I can just change pegs entirely.

What I really want to know is if anyone has specifically moved from my bike to the new Breakout and if they are happy with the move or regret getting rid of the Dyna.
I haven't but I've ridden them both and know exactly what you're talking about. I'm not a particular fan of the looks of the Fatboy, but it is my favorite Harley for its fit and ride...except for that lack of lean angle.

One thing that I think might cure that is replacing the floorboards with some of them deneutered Breakout footpegs. They both ride on the same chassis afterall. The other option would be putting the Breakout CVO handlebars on the base model. The stock drag bars put me into a C-clamp position that doesn't work for me. Not a fan of the fat tire on the Breakout, but it is a damn good looking bike.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:15 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Welcome to the STF. If you like Dynas just keep what you have or get a different Dyna or even a tourer which has better lean angle than softails. I had a 2007 dyna low rider and the softails are completely different. Dynas are Harley sport cruisers for those who want a sportier traditional Harley. The softails are design for an old schooled chillaxed ride. Softails rock! I love both my softails but they have their limitations.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:48 AM
paulmj
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I haven't owned either a Fatbob or a Breakout - yet. My BO is on order. But when I chose I test rose the BO, the Slim, the Fatbob and the Fatboy extensively - back to back. For me, I just found that the BO was the best combination of everything. But the clincher was that the slight lean forward on the BO just made it the most comfortable at speed.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:20 AM
HyperM3
Road Captain

Thanks for the replies. Maybe its just me and how I get bored after a couple years with a bike. I tend to get one, modify the hell out of it and then say Im done. I dont think Ive had anything longer than 3 years.

The dealership said they should be getting one in that I can demo sometime next month. Unfortunately the day I was there just a few hours prior they sold the only one they had.

I just cant stop researching the BO now. Videos, reviews etc. Its such an awesome looking bike.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:48 AM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior
Received 255 Likes on 158 Posts

listen i test rode a bunch before i pulled the trigger and the 2 minute test ride doesn't give you what you need to make a decision like this. luckily i LOVE my BO and wish i had gotten it sooner. try to get out to a "demo" day, supposedly they go out for 15-20 minute rides. that would give you a much better idea of the bike.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:53 AM
HyperM3
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Jersey Drew
listen i test rode a bunch before i pulled the trigger and the 2 minute test ride doesn't give you what you need to make a decision like this. luckily i LOVE my BO and wish i had gotten it sooner. try to get out to a "demo" day, supposedly they go out for 15-20 minute rides. that would give you a much better idea of the bike.
My place actually gives pretty decent test drives; highway and curvy back roads. They said when the BO comes in middle of November I could probably get an extended ride since it will be cold and slow at the dealership. Looking forward to it.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:08 AM
paulmj
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

My dealership here in London is more than happy for 2 - 3 hour test rides. No problem.