Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Riders V Touring Riders, what a difference!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 09:16 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
Im 57 and have NO, ZERO interest in a touring bike. I would also hop on my Softail and take it from coast to coast without hesitation.
At 62, I still feel the same way.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:46 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickatnyt
we are shopping for the needed items to transform the FB from a 100 mile ride into a 300 mile a day scoot
You should be able to go from a 100-300 miler Softail at a reasonable cost.
There was just a thread on this recently.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-softtail.html

Old 10-30-2014, 11:15 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by gsgtrman
...and they also forget to pick up their hands and wave when they go by a lowly Softail...
Not me......I wave at everybody. And still have to pick the bugs out of my teeth from grinning. Love it.

2010 Limited with some stuff

Old 10-30-2014, 11:40 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,616 Likes on 2,727 Posts

I finally bought a Glide at 65, but it was an old one, '89; didn't want to have to learn new tricks with fuel injection, don't want computers on my bikes, and the first things I pulled off were the radio, CB, speakers, and a bunch of switchs; just extra weight to me. It just needs to go and stop, I'll pull over and stretch my legs when I need to navigate. And I sure don't want to fiddle with a computer screen while riding. I often want something even more basic, that's why I keep a 1200 Custom, too, without even a windshield. Thought about a softail for a while, but thought two bikes at opposite ends of the Harley scale would be even better. Us old farts do tend to like our comfort, but it's nice to live a little like the younger days sometimes, too.

The following users liked this post:
Innigray (12-20-2019)
Old 10-30-2014, 02:11 PM
Nickatnyt
Road Warrior
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven
You should be able to go from a 100-300 miler Softail at a reasonable cost.
There was just a thread on this recently.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-softtail.html
Yeah, that was a thread that I started....

Old 10-31-2014, 08:33 AM
WebmonkeyL33T
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im 57 and have NO, ZERO interest in a touring bike. I would also hop on my Softail and take it from coast to coast without hesitation.
Same for me. I'm getting close to the nickel and I can (want to) ride my softail all day long.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:46 AM
airfuel
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't lump us Rushmore Road King riders with those batwinged Inforiders.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:02 AM
10 RED RK
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm 67 and feel the same way! I had a 2010 Road King never did "get" the Touring thing. The bike was way overweight, ran hot and slow. I ride with 3 buds that have FLH's they love 'em. To each his own.

My 08 FXSTC is more comfy than my RK was (at least for me) I can ride it all day as many miles as they can - no problem.

I like the stripped down basics of my bike. JMO

Old 10-31-2014, 12:14 PM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior
Received 255 Likes on 158 Posts

so true. my 3 buddies have electras and one SG. all batwing bikes and swear they can't ride without the fairing and radio.... yadda yadda. they spend all kinds of money on stereos and speakers and iPhone bluetooth *** massagers and so on and so forth. we went out to cigars international not too long ago. about 100 miles each way. well two of them could not stop complaining about something and the third guy just wanted to upgrade more ****. and i sat back with my cigar and thought to myself, thank god i just enjoy the simple RIDE!!! i don't need all those bells and whistles to just ride.

i feel if i want a little more comfort for long rides i may add a quick detach windshield for that.

Old 10-31-2014, 02:17 PM
DynaJ
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have to agree with the OP..BUT at 40 years old I have had all the models (sporty,dyna,touring,softail) well not all because I haven't owned any classics. I have to say that I feel most at home on a dyna but I love my softail it just fits me better, I loved my street glide but man you talk about spending cash...The sky is the limit on them between wheels, stereo new shield because we all know that the wind buffeting on the batwing is worse than having no shield at all!! Anyway the only thing I noticed in the touring section is there are always over 1000 guys online year around!! The softail section is a little slow but that's because we ride not sit in a lazyboy!! I have a seat pan on my fatboy and I would not hesitate to ride 300 miles a day (thanks to the shotgun shocks) Someday I will get a touring bike again but for what I do I can't justify the cost to have bags, and a full blown bike that is made to go 800 miles a day just to go to the local watering hole...Plus the wife says I look sexier on my softail if that's the case I will ride this ting until I'm 80!!!LOL

Quick Reply: Softail Riders V Touring Riders, what a difference!