Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A couple brake pedal questions (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 12:01 AM
Nivek1975
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A couple brake pedal questions (pics)

I have a 2003 Fatboy that I just swapped out the footboards for forward controls. I went with factory forward control brackets from a Night Train to keep the factory Harley look. I installed the Harley chrome and rubber custom oversized foot pegs on Kuryakyn stirrups. I love the feel of them over the footboards and to me it's much more comfortable and allows me to stretch out a little more.

Since the stirrups pushes the pegs out further, I kept the fatboy inner shift lever and used a Kuryakyn heel shift eliminator to extend the shifter out towards the pegs further and closer to my foot. It puts it in the right position so I barely have to turn my foot inward to shift gears.

Unfortunately on the brake side, the pegs are pushed away from the brake pedal and I have to turn my foot in quite a bit to hit the rear brake.

I would like to remedy that so here is my question. Do they make a brake lever with a longer pedal so I can use the longer pedal pad like the one that I took off my Fatboy?

Here is what I'm talking about. This is the pedal pad that was on the bike when it had the footboards. It mounted to the smaller pedal but there is no support under the right side half due to the shorter profile. This puts the brake in a very comfortable position for me where I barely have to turn my foot to hit the brake.

I would like to find a pedal with a longer base to mount a larger pad. If not, does anyone make an adaptor that can be used?

I figured if there is nothing on the market for it, I could always use some 1/8" or 3/16" stainless plate and cut it out in the shape of the large pedal pad, drill a hole in it, polish it and mount it between the pad and the lever to support the full length of the pad. The underside of the pad is recessed so it would pretty much be hidden. The only thing that would really show is the smaller base on pedal but it's chrome so I don't think it would look bad at all. Has anyone done this before? I guess I could also cut off the top and weld on a larger base to mount the pad. I'm a welder so that wouldn't be an issue but I figured it would be a hassle to have to remove the lever, fabricate a new piece, cut the old piece off, weld the new piece on, grind and sand it down smooth to blend it in, then have to send it off to be chrome plated and install it when it comes back. Would be much easier to make an adaptor.

One last question. Does anyone know where I can find a Harley billet slotted brake lever? I've looked all over and can't find one. I have the billet slotted shift lever and mirror stems and the Kuryakyn stirrups are slotted so I'd like everything to match if possible. I heard they were discontinued but if anyone has a lead on one I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Oh yeah, I know how you guys like to see pics so here's my bike.
These were taken before I added the forward controls.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:50 AM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts

It appears like your brake lever and pedal are one piece. On the older Softails like my 99 the pedal bolts on and you can bolt on any size pedal you want as there is a flat plate with a hole for the pedal mount. Maybe you could modify yours in some way to make the older style work on yours. I have a longer Kuryakyn pedal on mine.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:43 AM
Nivek1975
Intermediate

Jim,

My brake lever and pedal pad are two pieces, same as yours. What I'm talking about is the top of the lever where the pedal pad mounts to has a smaller profile on the brake for the forward controls. The standard fatboy brake lever has a larger profile which supports the larger pedal pad.

The larger pad bolts onto the smaller profile lever just fine, it's just not fully supported underneath which is what I'm wanting to fix. The pedal pads are thin chromed steel and without the full length support, it flexes when you apply pressure to it.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:15 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Harley sells Large brake pedals. Check the Harley accessory catalog. The part number for a large pedal with the chrome and rubber look to match your other controls is: 42478-95. MSRP = $49.95. This pedal is much longer than the one you currently have mounted. I once mounted one on a Night Train and yes, I had to add support by welding metal to the brake lever to extend it. The brake lever on my Train was black so it was easy to just paint over the welds. Since your lever is chrome, wrap wet rags around the pedal to help prevent distortion of the finish.

Last edited by olongapo1; 10-30-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:14 PM
Nivek1975
Intermediate

That's the one I ordered. I just used the old one off the bike to do a mock up to see how it would work. I ordered some 7075-T6 aluminum to make a bracket plate for it. It's going to be a 1/4" thick between the pedal pad and the lever to raise it up just a little bit closer to my foot and I'll recess the area around the lever so it'll set over it so it wont be able to move. There is a place in Nashville that does chrome plating so I'll send it to them when I finish it so it'll match the rest of the brake lever.