Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

at what temp is it too cold to ride, for you?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 02:05 PM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If I'm riding for pleasure, I kind of think around fifty degrees or so and dressed properly. I always bring an extra layer just in case and many times I was very glad I did.
I'm up in the northeast and if we get a warm day and the roads are not covered in crap, I go for a ride to get the fluids moving and get some juice in my battery...don't put a trickle charger on it and never had a problem. My rocker is an 08 with 45 k miles and still the original battery...knock on wood...LOL. last bike, same thing.
The coldest I have ridden was 25 degrees one day...it seemed warmer, no wind. I stopped for a coffee to warm up and a guy asked me if in was nuts...LOL. when I got home my wife told me it was only 25...yikes...
Summer is a shortly helmet but spring and fall I use a 3/4 with a nice warm face shield...
Ride warm and safe.

Old 10-31-2014, 02:22 PM
Riderteck
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

14'F, -10'C is my limit during the end of riding season but in spring that's starting temperature to ride again lol!

Old 10-31-2014, 02:26 PM
chilidogtampa
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

obviously we ride all year here in Florida, but its hard to gather up a group when its colder than 55f.

my buddy swears by his heated gear and I would like to get a vest, we do have cold snaps below 50f.

Old 10-31-2014, 02:26 PM
DynaJ
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

All you guys are my heroes!! I think 55 is butt *** cold! I mean I put on chaps and 2 jackets at that temp..lol

Old 10-31-2014, 03:08 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've gone out in weather that was below freezing..i think 22*F. I'll ride all year long, but once they put that first layer of salt down in expectation of ice, I'm done for the year. That salt doesn't go away until the spring and will make a mess of your rims.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:18 PM
das56170
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Left my house in Delaware this morning at about 6am. Weatherchannel.com website said it was 37 degrees at the time. Headed down I-95 to Baltimore for a mandatory motorcycle safety day and unit ride (USMC). It was a pretty chilly ride with no windshield or anything. All the other guys down there had touring bikes. I had jeans, sweats and riding overpants on. On top I wore a sweatshirt and riding jacket with liner. I had my half helmet with fleece neck gaiter. Overall not unbearable. My hands and feet felt the coldest. Just got home a few minutes ago. Ended up doing a little over 200 miles. Once the sun came up, it wasn't too bad.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:19 PM
TVan
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

23 and sunny here in Elk River, MN. heading up to the lake now for the weekend. Heated gloves are my savior. Ride on everybody, be safe..

Old 10-31-2014, 03:26 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

I put on a HOG chapter "Freeze Your *** Off" ride on January 1.
I also do a "Blue ***** Brunch" ride every Sunday - IF - the roads are dry.
I have heated gloves/jacket liner and pants liner. Also wear chemical toe pads, a balaklava and a fur hat with ear flaps (warmest head gear I've ever worn).
Bike also has heated grips.
For those that complain about the salt = spray the bike/wheels down with S100 Corrosion Protectant in November and wash it off in March. Been doing that for 10 years and never had a spec of rust/corrosion. I love that stuff.
I'll be damned if I'm going to spend $33K+ for a bike and then store it for 5 to 6 months every year.
The only thing I have to put up with now are people constantly complaining they can't wait for summer so they can ride again. I just smile and walk away.

I even think it's safer to ride in the winter because we are an anomaly and they actually do see us now.
If you do want to try riding in the winter- just be careful, ride a little slower and watch out for road conditions. Try it - you might like it.

Last edited by GARY DYER; 10-31-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:30 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,804 Likes on 3,311 Posts
Default Cold

I think I"ve seen this thread some where else....Anyways when the frost starts to build on my helmet it's time to call a taxi...LOL.... or last call...

Old 10-31-2014, 04:46 PM
Carolina Joe
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can ride down in lower 40's as long as it's dry. I have rode down to freezing or close but don't care to do that unless I just have to.

CJ

Quick Reply: at what temp is it too cold to ride, for you?