Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork brace on a softail?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 10:50 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,718 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Default Fork brace on a softail?

Anybody use a fork brace on a softail? How'd it work for you?

Old 11-11-2014, 11:41 AM
Strahley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Super Brace on my '02 FXST and I absolutely recommend getting one. Besides just looking good and filling that gap, it made several improvements in handling. I could tell a difference before even getting out of the driveway

It gave better/tighter/more responsive handling and turning at both low and higher speeds, better feel while coming to a stop and slowing down, and twisties feel better. Easily a top 3 modification

Old 11-11-2014, 01:39 PM
Rayvan
Cruiser

An awesome improvement. I second everything that Strahley said.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:47 AM
hifiho
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fork Brace experience

I've attached a photo of my '01 Deuce next to my '04 Deuce. The '04 has the Screamin' Eagle fork brace. That's the way I bought it. With the longer FX (41mm) forks, it seems these should be OEM from the factory. Saddling up on one bike from the other, the stability at speed, as well as when braking is immediately noticeable. The narrow tire also multiplies the ill effects of the longer forks.

If you've ever bottomed out your suspension in a pothole or on an unexpected speed bump or bridge transition, you may have noticed that unsettling feeling of wheel wobble when recovering. That's because your forks twisted a bit, and the rotational force of the tire and wheel- combined with forward motion, are re-straightening your forks for you. Via gyroscopic effect. If nothing else, the fork brace is a good insurance policy for potholes and speed bumps. High speed stability and cornering confidence are just a bonus.

Not the best photo, but you can see how thin and spindly that front end looks. Now that I've encountered your post, I'm thinking I should get one for my (FL) Deluxe. I've been putting off getting chrome lower fork legs, but now I can add those items to my winter mod list.

I highly recommend a fork brace.

Somebody please explain how to post a larger photo here.

Attached Thumbnails Fork brace on a softail?-wp_000471.jpg  
Old 11-19-2014, 05:47 AM
SimonR
Tourer
Received 148 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by hifiho

Somebody please explain how to post a larger photo here.
Use the "insert image" symbol and upload your picture

Old 11-19-2014, 05:53 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

+1 on a fork brace.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:49 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member

Yeah I wish they made one for my '12 fatboy lo. All I can find are those Roland Sands, but they're ugly and expensive.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:34 PM
Rayvan
Cruiser

Try this; w/o forkbrace, push your bike forward, then back in your garage. Apply the brake each time you change direction.
When you brake, you can watch your front-fender twitch as you stop the bike. This is because you only have one brake on one fork-slider.
This is at walking speed. Now imagine what a high speed stop does.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:15 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Damn dude. I've been wanting to put a fork brace on my rocker for a while. Even more now that I put breakout wheels and a wide glide front end on my sled forcing me to take off the fender I had on there.

The only brace I've found that fits the rocker is the one from heartland and I think that one looks like ****.
I actually like the ones RSD makes but he says they won't fit a rocker. Not sure if it's cause the rocker's stock front end is a mid glide or it's because it won't fit on the rocker's lower fork legs. Anyone know?

Old 11-21-2014, 09:35 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member

Could be some info here:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ocker-c-2.html

"Damn dude. I've been wanting to put a fork brace on my rocker for a while. Even more now that I put breakout wheels and a wide glide front end on my sled forcing me to take off the fender I had on there.

The only brace I've found that fits the rocker is the one from heartland and I think that one looks like ****.
I actually like the ones RSD makes but he says they won't fit a rocker. Not sure if it's cause the rocker's stock front end is a mid glide or it's because it won't fit on the rocker's lower fork legs. Anyone know?" Yesterday 07:34 PM

Quick Reply: Fork brace on a softail?