Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does changing the seat change the riding dynamics?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 09:38 AM
Sarah93003
Club Member
Received 30,067 Likes on 6,791 Posts
Default Does changing the seat change the riding dynamics?

I really love my Rocker C. Since I rarely carry a passenger I really like the idea of a solo seat. The trick seat that HD put on this bike is cool and all, but it doesn't look great when it's put away. I've been leaning toward a Danny Grey seat and I really like how they look after the conversion.

I am not quite 5'8" tall and have long legs. When I come to a stop, I have to be on my tip toes and would rather have my feet flat on the ground at stops. From what I've read removing the original seat contraption and replacing it with an aftermarket, like Danny Grey, the seat height will be lowered by 3-4 inches. I think that will allow me to be flat footed at stops.

The other issue is that when I'm going 80 mph I feel like I'm going to be blown off the bike so I have to hold on very tightly to the handle bars which eventually makes my hands numb. I think a lower seat might "plant" me more firmly in the saddle.

Since these bikes are chopped a little I am wondering if doing this conversion will change the engineering. I like how the bike rides and I feel very connected to it when I ride. I don't want to lose that. A man at my local dealership advised me against it.

I'm hoping others have done this seat conversion and can tell me if the bike rides any different, for better or worse.

When I lean just a little I can have my foot flat on the ground.

I don't like the big gap between the seat and the rear fender.

Here is an example of an after market seat. I like the look of it contouring to the rear fender and frame and I think I'd be more firmly planted.

Thanks in advance for your input and expertise.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:33 AM
Otter
Road Master
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

Yes, it absolutely does! I experience this often myself. I do 90% of my riding on a bare bones, which lowers me and sets me back, along with the center of gravity. I also have a mustang vintage that I ride occasionally. The bike feels and turns completely different depending on which seat I am riding at the time. This is fine as long as you know this and can adjust accordingly!

Old 11-16-2014, 11:34 AM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

I have to agree with you on the seat issue and I think it would look much better with the seat touching the fender than with the gap under the seat. Sitting lower would definitely help you with being able to put your feet firmly on the ground rather than just the tips of your toes, so I will vote for changing the seats. As for the issue with your hands, when I changed to Isso grips, I found that I didn't have to hold on to the grips so hard because the Isso's were larger and also had rubber cushions on them so they also gripped better. Not sure if they would help you but it might be an idea. Good luck As a side note, I also like the feeling of sitting down low on my bike rather than the feeling of sitting up on the bike but that's just me.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:08 PM
jcsshane
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree..the seat with the space between the fender will not only move you higher {meaning center of gravity is higher} it will also move you forward. Neither, to me, would be a positive result. And a cool as that higher seat looks, I believe you loose the intended low sleek line that caught your eye in the first place.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:29 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

I thought that fender on the Rocker was swing-arm mounted.? It is..I just googled it,Heartland Usa makes a kit to convert it to a regular softail rear strut setup.

Last edited by hdbob2006; 11-16-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:44 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Changing seats won't actually change the dynamics of the bike, but rather how those dynamics are felt while riding. IMO, you will feel a difference with the lower seat, but it will most definitely be a positive change. The lower seat will lower your center of gravity, making the bike feel lighter and more nimble. It will also provide more rear support making hard takeoffs from a light much more comfortable and reduce the tendency to slide back on the seat. This will also result in less effort on your part to "hold" yourself in the seat with your arms. I have a couple seats I ride with, and the bare bones in my sig pic has almost zero rear support. Long rides are much more uncomfortable as I always feel like I'm trying to resist sliding onto the fender. You'll also be much more comfortable at stops due to the lighter feel, and being able to plant your feet solidly on the ground.

The only down side is see is that the seat on the red rock looks like it sets you back a few inches as well. The forward controls may be more of a stretch. I do believe Danny gray makes seats that will adjust for this as well, but it might be worth finding someone nearby with a similar seat to test fit.

I dig your sig tag line, my girl has a Buell xb12scg and she rides it like she stole it! I have a hard time keeping up! Lol.

Last edited by jreichart; 11-16-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:52 PM
jcsshane
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hdbob2006
I thought that fender on the Rocker was swing-arm mounted.? It is..I just googled it,Heartland Usa makes a kit to convert it to a regular softail rear strut setup.

Uh oh.....good catch

Old 11-16-2014, 12:58 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
Cool

Changing out the seat completely changed the riding experience for me. My lower back was bothering me consistantly after about an hour into the ride. This new seat solved that and in the process made the handling feel totally different. Instead of balancing on a perch and holding myself up as I ride, I'm tucked completely in and can now flick the bike around without the balancing act. Takeoffs are a breeze, I don't slide back one bit. As a bonus, I like the look. Pluses all around.

Original seat;

New seat;

It's easy to see in the profile shots just how much support I actually get. Good luck!

Last edited by Sleeko; 11-16-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:01 PM
Pete3323
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Not sure about the dynamics but u will feel much more comfortable being flat footed. The after market seat looks WAY better too...

Old 11-16-2014, 01:02 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hdbob2006
It is, but Danny Gray and other aftermarket seat manufacturers make seats that sit much closer to the fender than the stocker without having to modify the fender configuration. The red rock in the pic does have the fender conversion.

Quick Reply: Does changing the seat change the riding dynamics?