Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buying first bike in January

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 08:16 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by amkaos
having never ridden a motorcycle, i signed up for the MC safety course july 2013 ..
they provided 250 cc MC's.
rented a heritage 2 weeks later..
bought used heritage in aug .
wouldnt change a thing..

i believe in getting what you want and learning how to use it properly..
study and take your time to do so..
MC Safety course Aug 2013
They provided 250 cc
Rented Honda 700 cc to prepare for licensing (test)
Bought 2014 Breakout Sept 2013
Wouldn't change a thing.

Anyone who claims to have a pat answer as to the most appropriate bike purchase for beginning riders, is ignoring the vast differences between people's abilities and self discipline. IMHO, its far more about the rider than the bike he buys. Know yourself, educate yourself, be patient and ride your own bike. We didn't all start at the age of 16 with decades of trade-ups in our futures. It is not uncommon for Baby Boomers (for example) to take up riding late in life, on a machine they intend to stick with, and not get killed doing it. "Not uncommon at all".

Old 11-22-2014, 10:05 AM
brockND
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by klbhammond
I have been looking at the blackline for a couple months now. This is my first motorcycle only have a little experience riding a dirt bike and rode my dad's sportster 1200 once got me hooked. Was wanting to double check that this will be a good bike for me to start with and keep for a while before I made the purchase I wanted some input from seasoned riders
I would like to start by asking, how big are you physically? (Height and weight?) I worked in sales for a few years (in a metric dealership, which is where a lot of people start before a harley) and i cant even begin to count the number of ppl that wanted to "learn" before they bought a harley. If you are not a huge person I recomend picking up a honda shadow 750 for like 2 grand and get real comfortable on it. I guess my reasoning for that is from what i have noticed, once they depreciate down to that price they dont really loose any value if you dont damage it. I have seen tons of people own one for a month and then cash out of it and some times make a couple bucks.
~and no i dont work in a metric shop anymore so this isnt a sales pitch. haha.
I also highly recommend rider training courses. I am not sure if ABATE exists nation wide but I felt that it was a good course.
Wish you luck and hope you enjoy it. Life with motorcycles is way better than without

Old 11-22-2014, 10:36 AM
GadgetBandit
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brockND
I would like to start by asking, how big are you physically? (Height and weight?) I worked in sales for a few years (in a metric dealership, which is where a lot of people start before a harley) and i cant even begin to count the number of ppl that wanted to "learn" before they bought a harley. If you are not a huge person I recomend picking up a honda shadow 750 for like 2 grand and get real comfortable on it. I guess my reasoning for that is from what i have noticed, once they depreciate down to that price they dont really loose any value if you dont damage it. I have seen tons of people own one for a month and then cash out of it and some times make a couple bucks.
~and no i dont work in a metric shop anymore so this isnt a sales pitch. haha.
I also highly recommend rider training courses. I am not sure if ABATE exists nation wide but I felt that it was a good course.
Wish you luck and hope you enjoy it. Life with motorcycles is way better than without
I agree. I hadn't ridden for 25 years. while raising a family. I got on a Shadow RS for 2 years and then got my Heritage. A year or two on a 500 lb bike with 40+hp is a good idea. The purchase and resale value make them good trainers. I also took the Ride Like a Pro class for slow drive, since anyone can go fast, in s straight line. Be patient and ride safe.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:49 AM
09heritagerider
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the Blackline. I started on a Softail and never had issues...why wait 2 years on a bike you don't want and then have to deal with getting rid of it? Make sure you take the MSF Basic/Advanced rider course as it will pay dividends and you'll be able to gauge if you are ready to start on a big bike.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:03 AM
brockND
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do also agree with the possibility of having a hard time getting rid of the "trainer bike" depending on where you live. I live in the heart of moron oil country where you can sell anything you want whenever you want for almost what ever you want so i forget how it may be other places. going back on what i said earlier, the blackline is not a hard bike to learn on either. It is a little heavy but it shouldnt be to bad. I currently have the Slim which much of the same bike. Taking into account the A-Hole sales man that i first spoke to said the Slim would be a better bike for my wife, it is probably a great leaner bike as well.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:56 AM
Super38
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23
Anyone who claims to have a pat answer as to the most appropriate bike purchase for beginning riders, is ignoring the vast differences between people's abilities and self discipline. IMHO, its far more about the rider than the bike he buys. Know yourself, educate yourself, be patient and ride your own bike. ...
And your own ride.

I agree, assuming the bike ergonomically fits you, you can take rider training (before you get the bike) and can exercise some self discipline there is no reason someone can't start on and successfully ride a Softail.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:21 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

I've learned how to ride on a '67 Harley Sportster chopped - right side shifter, no front brake, longer front end without any frame rake...

2nd bike was a Fatboy (still have it). Woke up one day and wanted a change so I picked up a used Ducati Monster 620.

I realized that I didn't know how to ride a motorcycle when other motorcyclist were passing me in the roundabouts.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have picked up a 500cc or less sport bike (naked, not supersport) and spent a year riding that instead of getting the approval from a bunch of strangers in a bar.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:41 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,817 Likes on 3,319 Posts
Default The choice

You know your abilities and you've said you rode an older sportster so you have an Idea. i would say that a softail which has a lower center of gravity, is a good choice and well balanced. Congratulations and good luck.....

Old 11-22-2014, 03:47 PM
Carolina Joe
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go ahead and get the bike you want. Just recognize that you have a big, powerful motorcycle that demands respect even after you become experienced on it. The Blackline is a great bike and you will enjoy it. Before you buy go down to your local Harley dealer and check out the inventory, new and used. Sit on a few bikes. You may decide you like another Softail better. Enjoy your journey.

CJ

Old 11-22-2014, 05:18 PM
klbhammond
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carolina Joe
Go ahead and get the bike you want. Just recognize that you have a big, powerful motorcycle that demands respect even after you become experienced on it. The Blackline is a great bike and you will enjoy it. Before you buy go down to your local Harley dealer and check out the inventory, new and used. Sit on a few bikes. You may decide you like another Softail better. Enjoy your journey.

CJ
Tha k you for all the help guys. All in all I think I am going to stick with a blackline. I also plan to take the riders safety class

Quick Reply: buying first bike in January