Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping wide glide to fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 05:55 AM
harley0101
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping wide glide to fatboy

I'm possibly looking to swap my wide glide for a fatboy. Mainly for comfort on longer rides. It moves my legs down to a more comfortable position. At least for me I think. Anyone ever gone from wide to fatboy? Any regrets? Positives? Negatives? I don't have the ability to take a long ride on the fatboy before hand so I'm trying to make a decision off shorter rides. Thanks for any advice.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:02 AM
Blake USMC Vet
Tourer

I didn't go to a fatboy; went to a slim from a wide glide. No regrets, nothing negative. Positives: with my short legs i fit better and am not all stretched out, i am more comfortable on the slim, floorboards are awesome, and with my 16" hangers no lower back pain and feel like I can ride for hours.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:16 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,810 Likes on 3,315 Posts
Default lengths

Not so sure about the WG but I'm only 5'8" and for long rides I wish I had more leg room on my fatty. I have running boards and to be able to stretch, I have to put my heels at the front of the boards with my feet pointed outward I have thought of forward controls but not so sure. Have you thought about that as a solution? before a swap out...

Old 11-22-2014, 08:25 AM
harley0101
Intermediate

It currently has forward controls but feels like my legs are so stretched out and up in the air after longs rides it's uncomfortable. It also just has pegs. I feel like having my legs more in a down position feels like it might be better on a long ride. Also I believe floorboards may help as I could move around a bit. I could be completely wrong however and regret the switch. I was hoping someone else has been through this same scenerio. Thanks for the input.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:35 AM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

I ride two bikes with forward controls, another with floorboards.
I prefer the floorboards.

I am also short legged, and with the forward pegs , my feet are trying to be blown off the pegs at higher speeds. causes me to keep pressure on the pegs.

No problem with the boards. ride all day at speed, and can change position of my legs/feet to move butt pressure points.

Hope this helps

Old 11-22-2014, 10:38 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

You might want to take a look at Kuryakyn Mark IVs. Allows you to really stretch out. You can continue to ride with with foot on rear or front of the footboard. Or heel on front of footboard/toe on peg. Whole foot on peg. Or back of your heel resting on top of peg with your feet in the wind. Gives at least 5 different foot positions which comes in handy on long rides.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:26 AM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Not many regrets here in the softail family. I owned a 07 Dyna low rider than got a Road King Classic. Both bikes were awesome but I never got use to the top heaviness and the shake of the rubber mounted engine on the Dynas and tourers. The softail line are the only motorcycles Harley make with counterbalanced air cooled engines. If you want a more comfortable motorcycle you may want to check out the the touring family.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:08 PM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Not so sure about the WG but I'm only 5'8" and for long rides I wish I had more leg room on my fatty. I have running boards and to be able to stretch, I have to put my heels at the front of the boards with my feet pointed outward I have thought of forward controls but not so sure. Have you thought about that as a solution? before a swap out...
I know most Harley guys don't like engine guards, but the only reason I have a guard is so I can have highway pegs. Makes a big difference on long rides. I have them set up so my heels rest on the front edge of the board and the ***** of my feet rest on the pegs. Btw, I bought a black guard so its not so noticeable.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:30 PM
nascarfan
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the Mark IV's on my Fatty also and I couldn't have said it better.

Originally Posted by Daytona Fat Boy
You might want to take a look at Kuryakyn Mark IVs. Allows you to really stretch out. You can continue to ride with with foot on rear or front of the footboard. Or heel on front of footboard/toe on peg. Whole foot on peg. Or back of your heel resting on top of peg with your feet in the wind. Gives at least 5 different foot positions which comes in handy on long rides.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:21 PM
Piloto
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 18,461 Likes on 5,663 Posts

I went from a Dyna LR to a Fatboy. Hands down, the Fatboy is a hellova lot more comfy than the Dyna was. As was said, you can always put highway pegs on it if you want more riding positions. I love the floorboards. I had forward controls on my Dyna, but so far, do not miss them. I find my bladder needs emptying before my legs cramp up, so it is not an issue with me. With a good seat, you can stay on the FB all day.

Cons... Not many. The FB is a little heavier, and does not feel as sporty. The comfort makes up for it though. Think of going from a Camaro to a Cadillac. The FB still performs though.

Quick Reply: Swapping wide glide to fatboy