Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H straight shots slip ons for Heritage?

Old 12-02-2014, 07:09 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Pete3323
Checkers, have you used these guys yourself? Wondering how long it took to get pipes back and can u choose which baffle they install? Thanks.
If you use the search function, there are many reviews on them. The company is out of the Hartford, CT area. I have a set of take offs I am sending them this winter. It is about a 7-10 day turnaround. I like the fact they use the the stock mufflers for their quality and under the radar appearance. You can also buy a set of premade pipes from them and keep your stockers, or send them after for a credit.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:46 PM
Pete3323
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

So I decided to go with the American Custom pipes. Ordered them today. They only sell the loud ones, you have to order the mid and quiet baffles separate. So I bought the loud ones and I can always quiet them down later if I want. Never installed mufflers before...any advice on the installation?

Old 12-04-2014, 05:00 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts

The night before you install,loosen the muffler clamps and and spray some pb blaster where the stockers meet the headpipe. After removal ,,slide new mufflers on and tighten the new clamps to spec. If the carb is stock try a 46 low jet. Get to the mixture screw and give it 1 turn clockwise. You can fine tune it later. I would get one of the other baffles and install them now. If it comes with what the company says is loud, you can bet they will be annoying........

Last edited by bklynbob; 12-04-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:55 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

So I decided to go with the American Custom pipes. Ordered them today. They only sell the loud ones, you have to order the mid and quiet baffles separate. So I bought the loud ones and I can always quiet them down later if I want. Never installed mufflers before...any advice on the installation?
Pete, take Brooklyn's advice, also you will want to install the top muffler first and then the lower muffler. If you put the lower muffler on you wont be able to access the top muffler clamp, the lower muffler will be in the way. When you tighten the small bracket bolts, do not overtighten, they will stretch and snap off. Only reuse them 1 time. Take a picture of the clamps and take note of what direction they are installed and pry them open and reinstall on mufflers before sliding them on to headpipes.
After install and ride, update this thread with the results, thanks.

Last edited by checkers; 12-04-2014 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:49 PM
Pete3323
Road Master

Thanks for the great advice Brooklyn and Checkers. A lot to absorb for a newbie to working on bikes! Brooklyn, are you saying the carb will definitely need jetting with just slip ons? I thought that would only b necessary if I did hi flow air cleaner as well? I have no clue about re-jetting. Checkers, appreciate the heads up on the clamps. Maybe I should just get new ones? As far as the loudness, American Custom says V&H with baffles are way louder than their loud option...we'll see. Again, thanks u guys. The help on this forum is invaluable!

Last edited by Pete3323; 12-04-2014 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:10 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts

Thanks for the great advice Brooklyn and Checkers. A lot to absorb for a newbie to working on bikes! Brooklyn, are you saying the carb will definitely need jetting with just slip ons? I thought that would only b necessary if I did hi flow air cleaner as well? I have no clue about re-jetting. Checkers, appreciate the heads up on the clamps. Maybe I should just get new ones? As far as the loudness, American Custom says V&H with baffles are way louder than their loud option...we'll see. Again, thanks u guys. The help on this forum is invaluable!
I would say yes,not hard to do. Probably plenty of you tube tutorials on this. If not an indy could do this .

Old 12-10-2014, 07:55 PM
Pete3323
Road Master

Ok. Got the American Customs "bomber" slip ons installed on the Heritage. Taking my time the job took me a couple hours. That PB blaster is my freind! The back one was off and new one on in a jiffy. I'm thinking "piece of cake". Well the front pipe was more of a bitch coming off and installing. After wrestling with it a bit, got it on and all tightened up. Time to crank it up! Oops..smoke coming from that damn front pipe! Time for a beer. Back to garage in better frame of mind and I see the obvious mistake. Clamp was not positioned correctly. Loosen heat shield and clamp, reposition. Let's try this again. Everything looks good! Except...it's too LOUD! (Just as Bklyn said, lol) Took it for a spin today. Very little if any decel popping, so I don't think any carb adjustment will b necessary so that's a good thing. I'll b ordering the mid level baffle tomorrow and see how that goes. Thanks to all for the help!

Old 12-10-2014, 09:45 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

for a great DEEP sound please look at Rush slip ons.. had mine for 8yrs and I still love them.

not the best for Peak Numbers, but they are among the BEST for sound and durability for looking like new yr after yr... and they will give you the Deep sound most are looking for while not TOO loud at constant cruising speeds..

Old 12-10-2014, 10:40 PM
Pete3323
Road Master

...a little late there, 49. Lol. The deal has been done! I pretty much expected that the "deep growl" would be too loud but that's how they came without spending the extra $ for baffles. Worth a shot...now I'll pay the extra for the baffles. Plus if I ever want to annoy the neighbors I can always take em out!

Last edited by Pete3323; 12-10-2014 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:49 AM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Ok. Got the American Customs "bomber" slip ons installed on the Heritage.
I had been checking out American Customs site. What baffle did you end up choosing? I am looking at the mid-baffles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: V&H straight shots slip ons for Heritage?