Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wet sump and starting

Old 12-06-2014, 02:06 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Wet sump and starting

05 Fatboy here. Changed the oil prior to storage. Been sitting about 2 months now and the dipstick is dry. No oil on the floor and I am sure its all drained into the crankcase.
No sense running it now but in spring do I just start it and let it idle and pump up into the tank? I have read about leaving the plugs in the cases alone.
I have an old Norton that does this all the time and I drain the sump before starting.
Will just starting the HD and idling do any damage? Blown seals etc? Will the oil seep into the primary over the winter?
Anyone?
Thanks

Old 12-06-2014, 02:41 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Oil seeping into the crankcase is normal. Just start the bike and keep an eye on the oil pressure indicator light on the dash. A few points:

-Engine oil will not seep into the primary as long as the crank seal is in good condition.

-If you occasionally start and idle the bike, allow it to run long enough to reach full operating temperature to expel condensation.

-It's normally not necessary, but if the bike has sat for a very long time, say 6 months, I like to pull the spark plugs, pull the fuel pump fuse, connect a battery charger and spin the engine over a few minutes to circulate the oil.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:57 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 3,777 Posts

I have never seen one do it all the way below the the stick. Did you do oil change. Remember to top off for filter? When you peer into the oil bag, can you see oil? If it truly did this, probably be OK if it take a while to do it but my guess is the o-ring in the oil pump is bad maybe from broken metal damage. How many miles? Has oil pump been out? If you check for sumping, you do it after a run..not setting weeks and even then, I have yet to figure out what is too much. They have about 20 oz in the bottom counting the cam galley since the sump oil lubricates the inner camshaft bearings slung by the flywheels of the crankshaft. Leave the tapered plugs alone. If it does this regularly, I would check oil pressure with a screw in gage at the sending unit.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:28 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
I have never seen one do it all the way below the the stick. Did you do oil change. Remember to top off for filter? When you peer into the oil bag, can you see oil? If it truly did this, probably be OK if it take a while to do it but my guess is the o-ring in the oil pump is bad maybe from broken metal damage. How many miles? Has oil pump been out? If you check for sumping, you do it after a run..not setting weeks and even then, I have yet to figure out what is too much. They have about 20 oz in the bottom counting the cam galley since the sump oil lubricates the inner camshaft bearings slung by the flywheels of the crankshaft. Leave the tapered plugs alone. If it does this regularly, I would check oil pressure with a screw in gage at the sending unit.
Topped it off and ran it. Checked the level, all is good. It only does this if it sits for extended periods.
Its at about 30,000 miles and has had the cam tensioners replaced. Nothing done to the pump. There is oil low in the tank. I am just concerned about the first start. Long as I run it every few weeks, the oil stays where it belongs.

Old 12-06-2014, 03:34 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,531 Likes on 3,054 Posts

I have seen it below the dip stick after sitting for a long period. Be prepared to hold the bike at a fast idle and maybe see some blue smoke while its pumping the oil back into the tank on bikes with that much oil in the crankcase.

Old 12-06-2014, 05:38 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 3,777 Posts

If it has oil in the tank, you should be OK. Pump will catch up and return it. Let it idle a few minutes and keep the speed down for a mile or so. Maybe I just seldom keep up with checking it after sitting. When mine sets months, when I start it, all I want to do is go. Just went out and checked it. Been couple weeks since I rode. As a scale I know it was about 3/4 up from the lower line about a month ago. Been over a year since I changed it and I had topped it off when it was hot hot to the top line. It has use this small amount in a year. However two weeks of setting has dropped it to 1/4" above add. I never really ever park it but it will set 3 months shortly Jan-March. Be interesting to see where it is then. Obviously it does leak back. Guess it's leaking all the way up thru filter..Harley probably designed it that way to keep the crank main bearing oiled...in fact, I am sure that's what they did? HA..mine has 45K on it and other then me checking, has never even had tensioners changed.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:16 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

A side note that is not really off subject but food for thought. THIS IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE AND REASON FOR AN OIL PRESSURE GAUGE!!!

Old 12-07-2014, 10:29 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

OOOPS, double posts, sorry!!!

Old 12-07-2014, 01:44 PM
rol427
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Deadman,
There needs to be enough oil in the tank to continue to feed the oil pump. For what it's worth I noticed less oil in my sump when I add Lucas oil treatment. A parts manager at my local dealer suggested it and it seems to help.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:16 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by rol427
Deadman,
There needs to be enough oil in the tank to continue to feed the oil pump. For what it's worth I noticed less oil in my sump when I add Lucas oil treatment. A parts manager at my local dealer suggested it and it seems to help.
I dont know about the Lucus oil but seeing oil low in the tank would make sense.
Where does the oil pressure guage go in the engine?
It wont be started til most likely March at the earliest. No reason to mess with it now. I just dont want to cause any damage that I can prevent.
I would drain the sump and reload the oil tank if i could but I see bad mojo about messing with the plugs in the cases.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wet sump and starting