Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking good vs. Riding comfortable

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 10:48 PM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts

I am considering going with the Heartland bobber seat and pan setup. their seat looks to be form fit, larger, and more comfortable than the tiny seat I am sitting on. I would probably not use the springs and keep using the mini shocks that I have on my seat. they work pretty good and bumps and it makes the softail even softer of a ride. I like the bobber look and would like to stay with it as long as I can get some comfort back.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:23 PM
greenbax
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stal94gt
I am considering going with the Heartland bobber seat and pan setup. their seat looks to be form fit, larger, and more comfortable than the tiny seat I am sitting on. I would probably not use the springs and keep using the mini shocks that I have on my seat. they work pretty good and bumps and it makes the softail even softer of a ride. I like the bobber look and would like to stay with it as long as I can get some comfort back.
I like the shadetree seat, its much bigger and more comfortable, also has that old-school look to boot:

Last edited by greenbax; 12-15-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:52 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Sorry for having to ask but...

What model Softail do you have? Have you got any photos? It may help with suggestions. You mentioned going to a full Fatboy fender but wasn't sure if that meant that you actually ride a Fatboy.

I consider myself pretty lucky in that I can ride rather comfortably on a pretty stripped down bike which is how I like mine. Don't get me wrong; I've run a windshield a such and LOVE how such amenities improve a ride but I can put as many miles on my bike when it's dressed down to what most might call nothing more than a bar hopper. Funny that the most uncomfortable experience I've had on my bike was when I ran a stock Softail Deluxe seat on it, thinking that it would be more comfortable and sit me lower to the ground. MAN WAS I MISTAKEN. The problem with it was that it was SOOO freaking wide between the thighs that my legs actually cramped up after about 20 miles of riding from pressing against the sides of the seat. For that same reason, any lowering stance that the seat provided was lost because my legs had to be wider apart which meant they couldn't reach down as far.

Old 12-15-2014, 02:12 PM
stal94gt
Road Master

I have posted pictures in the past. I really like the look of my bike but it is not the most comfortable machine to ride.

Old 12-15-2014, 02:18 PM
greenbax
Banned

Thats a pretty narrow seat, I can see how it may be uncomfortable. Did you see the larger seat I posted? Its wider and rolls up in the back for support.

I have one myself, its really good quality. I am a bigger guy too, and it supports me well. The 2" springs keep me low too.

Old 12-15-2014, 02:28 PM
stal94gt
Road Master

Originally Posted by greenbax
Thats a pretty narrow seat, I can see how it may be uncomfortable. Did you see the larger seat I posted? Its wider and rolls up in the back for support.

I have one myself, its really good quality. I am a bigger guy too, and it supports me well. The 2" springs keep me low too.
I saw the seat you posted...not quite my style. I like the heartland bobber seat but I cant seem to get any one to say if it is comfortable or not.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:09 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Stal94gt, That bike looks great, but you will have a long way to go to make it comfortable. Each thing you do in the form and function area's are a trade off. Only you can decide. I would set and look at your bike for hours, I couldn't ride it for an hour. Nothing wrong with either, but it's yours.

Last edited by checkers; 12-15-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:35 PM
greenbax
Banned

I saw the seat you posted...not quite my style. I like the heartland bobber seat but I cant seem to get any one to say if it is comfortable or not.

gotcha. I cant speak for that heartland seat, but visually it looks almost exactly like the seat you currently have so my guess is you may have the same comfort issue.

maybe there is a gel-insert solution that would help?

Last edited by greenbax; 12-15-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:36 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I have posted pictures in the past. I really like the look of my bike but it is not the most comfortable machine to ride.

Again, sorry for having to ask but I don't read every single thread I come upon or know every member and their ride.

Your seat looks very small in general. Even for a bobber style, I dare say that almost looks like it belongs on a bicycle. Then on the front end you have the giant bars!

It all looks great but yeah. Even I might have an issue with that set up.

I would definitely consider a slightly wider seat and slightly lower bars. That combination alone may get you passed much of your comfort issues. Beyond that you may have to worry about compromising the current style of your ride...

Old 12-15-2014, 03:38 PM
DynaJ
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by checkers
Stal94gt, That bike looks great, but You will have a long way to go to make it comfortable. Each thing you do in the form and function area's are a trade off. Only you can decide. I would set and look at your bike for hours, I couldn't ride it for an hour. Nothing wroung with either, but it's yours.

Wrong...

Quick Reply: looking good vs. Riding comfortable