Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking good vs. Riding comfortable

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 03:40 PM
DynaJ
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by stal94gt
I have posted pictures in the past. I really like the look of my bike but it is not the most comfortable machine to ride.

I have the RSD bobber seat that's supposed to be on springs but was made to ride on bump stops. I have ridden 240 miles in a day on it, not to bad but I wouldn't do it every week! Bike looks good, hard to go back to a normal looking bike but I'm sure you will get it to where you want it!

Old 12-15-2014, 04:07 PM
FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
NOT A MODERATOR
Received 20,402 Likes on 7,991 Posts

Originally Posted by DynaJ
Wrong...

Old 12-15-2014, 04:15 PM
DynaJ
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER

Checkers knows what this is about...

Old 12-15-2014, 07:50 PM
High Roller
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by High Roller; 12-15-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:08 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm not a fan of "blacked out" bikes but you could park this one in my garage next to mine any time.

When I got this bike I knew I was only a few years from retirement, and I am now retired, and that this was probably going to be my last bike, unless I ever opted for a 2nd bike.

I have had bikes and been riding better than 40 years now and for one reason or another I was never able to do all I wanted to do, money, poor pay, injury, kids, divorce, blah, blah, blah.

So I decided to go all out on this bike. I addressed performance, looks and comfort. I think I achieved my goal. For being born a TC88, this bike runs like a raped ape. The bike is also as comfortable as can be and I think it looks pretty good. I do show it and it has always been in the top 3 no matter where I showed it.

With the exception of the bars and pipes the bike looks stock, which is what I tried to do. BUT, the only things stock on this bike is the frame, tins and tires. If you get up on it, the more you look the more you will find. I honestly think that's why it does so well when I show it.

I do ride it though, it's not a "Trailer Queen" so I knew that "just looking good" was not going to cut it. I'm getting to be an old man now with some medical issues and tons of prior injuries so I knew I had lots of work to do to get it to where I was comfortable. As for performance I knew I wanted a bike with ***** and even though I ride solo 99% of the time, I didn't want a dog when I put someone on the back.

So, with those 3 things in mind, for me and in this order is what and how I prefer my bikes. 1st, performance. If all I could do, for whatever reason, was 1 of the 3, performance would be my 1st choice. I didn't just throw parts together to get performance. I did everything so that 1 mod would enhance the other, I matched everything up to get what I wanted. 2nd would be comfort. I know most would say comfort 1st but for me, if the bike runs like crap, is a dog and unreliable, what good is comfort? 3rd is looks. We all want our bikes to look sharp but again if it runs like crap and is uncomfortable, what does looking good do?

So, the end result on this bike, finally and after all this time, I have a bike that runs as good as you can possibly get a TC88 to run, I would/could ride this bike from coast to coast in comfort and IMHO look pretty good doing it. It is a labor of love though and expensive but again, this is probably my last bike so I said F it and addressed all 3 issues. I think I will start a new thread asking people what they prefer and in what order given a chance, what means most to most people.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:32 AM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts

Tbonetony06 it looks like you nailed it with looks and comfort. I enjoy the bobber look but I really just enjoy a clasic look. It is always hard to decide which way to go when you are in the planning phase. There are looks that are just a fad and there are looks that will never go away. Maybe one day I will figure it out but for now I am just ordering parts for the sake of change.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:39 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks stal94gt. Its one thing to think you have a sweet ride but its another being told so by fellow brother riders. You will get your bike there right where you want it in time. Sometimes that's how it starts, by just adding or changing 1 piece on the bike and a certain look grows out of that. 1 day it will all click and come together. I will ask this though, of the 3, what is MOST important to you? To me, once you know that, the rest just falls in place.

EDIT: And yes, I'm an old timer and CHROME *****!!!

Last edited by tbonetony06; 12-16-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:24 AM
Mathis
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by checkers
I have mastered the art of being comfortable and looking good doing it. I bought a Heritage.
I couldn't agree more.

I bought my bike to ride, not look at (although it does look good). I can't see much of it when riding anyway.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:31 AM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts

I been working on this bike for a few years now and I have always had a vision for how I wanted it to look. I could care less what people think of my bike as long as I am happy with it. I have definitely installed parts only to change them out later. This bike has look a few different ways since I have owned it. I am so picky about how things fuction and look never settling for less than my expectations. I don't fear change and will continue to do so until it is perfect. Maybe one day I will get everything I want with one bike, or maybe I will have to build a second

Old 12-16-2014, 10:38 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Comfort, performance over looks any day of the week.

Everybody is able to look at uncomfortable bikes but nobody wants to ride them.

Quick Reply: looking good vs. Riding comfortable