Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking good vs. Riding comfortable

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 08:20 PM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts
Default looking good vs. Riding comfortable

been thinking about changing up the setup on my bike to go from looks to function and comfort. I love the look of apes but it really does effect my highway ride and the tiny spring seat provides little comfort as well. I do enjoy the bobber look but think there maybe a better way to get both looks and comfort. I been debating about swapping out the 18" apes for a set of 12 inch custom bars (i am 5'5" tall). I am also thinking of going to the rsd tracker fender with their seat but they don't look much more comfortable than the spring seat I am sitting on. Everyone I see with that fender has their bike slammed to the ground to make the tire looked tucked. I Imagine of your not on bags and you hit a large bump you risk putting that tire in the fender. the other way i was considering was going with an extended fat boy fender but my struts are cut for the bobber fender. not sure if it would be tough to go back to a stock style fender. Anyone else feel the same as me when it comes to the sacrifices in ride comfort to obtain a certain look?

Last edited by stal94gt; 12-14-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:28 PM
Jaburg1
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I debated that for a while, but ended up with the perfect blend for my bike and the type of riding I do. I love narrow seats that don't over hang the frame, and the spring seat I have allows that to be comfortable. Decide on what you want from the bike and the type of riding you do determine how to blend total comfort and total cool. You cannot have both and it'll always be a compromise when you have just one bike.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:30 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Yeah dude I totally agree. That's why I have two softails. The Heritage classic for comfort and the other softail for looks and customization.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:33 PM
stal94gt
Road Master

Originally Posted by Tailsfrommycrib
Yeah dude I totally agree. That's why I have two softails. The Heritage classic for comfort and the other softail for looks and customization.
that is the other option I been thinking is getting another bike. but all I see is another addition for me to get crazy about. unfortunately the look that I am always drawn towards is never comfortable so I fear I would have to bikes that are uncomfortable to ride.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:37 PM
Ragnar
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For me, my bike has GOT to be comfortable for me to ride for the purpose I have it for. (I am fortunate in that I have a Slim and a Road King, and each has it's strengths and weaknesses.)

In the case of the Slim, there was a lot put into making it good for me. I'm 6'2" and stocky. Controls went forward, apes, Shotgun, monotubes, seat. I like the way it looks, but if it didn't finally suit me so that I can ride it how/where/as far as I need it for, it would have to go - I can't have a bike I can't ride, no matter how "bad-***" it was.

That said, *I* like the way it's set up from a looks standpoint, too. Still some work to be done to get the look I want out of it, but that's always the case.

In your case, your apes are 2 inches higher than mine, but I'm 9 inches taller than you, so I'm guessing you're overextended and reaching up to find them? The spring seat probably raises you up a bit, but then you're possibly reaching to the ground? Dropping down on the apes should help, while still maintaining the general look. That satisfies comfort while still keeping with the style you had in mind. Seek THAT balance, and you will probably be a happy guy.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:44 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

I have mastered the art of being comfortable and looking good doing it. I bought a Heritage.

Last edited by checkers; 12-14-2014 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:45 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

The balance between form and function is there, as stated above, compromise is needed on the form side.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:46 PM
stal94gt
Road Master

a lot of people freak out when they see how tall my apes are and cant figure out how I ride with them. My spring seat is narrow so i plant the ground just fine with stock height. the seat does pick me up a bit so the height of the bars is more like a 15" ape hanger so they fit decent. problem is wind and the ape hanger wobble at highway speeds. plus the fact that i am sitting on a maxi pad does not help my bottom

Old 12-14-2014, 09:07 PM
Pete3323
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by checkers
I have mastered the art of being comfortable and looking good doing it. I bought a Heritage.
👆👆👆 yep!

Old 12-14-2014, 10:41 PM
FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
NOT A MODERATOR
Received 20,402 Likes on 7,991 Posts

My bones is pretty comfortable....other than being lowered (a bit more harsh ride). If I want comfort...I'll buy another bike so I can have both.

Quick Reply: looking good vs. Riding comfortable