Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Deluxe Build Begins...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 09:19 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Subscribed !

Old 12-20-2014, 05:28 PM
kizzletruck
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The build is underway... Just dropped $500 on Amazon for the following items:

Burly 18" Cable/Wire kit - Stainless ($247)
Hill Country Customs 1 1/2" risers ($59)
Hill Country Customs Poly Riser Bushings ($14)
Avon Air-Cushioned Grips (Black, Knurled w/ throttle boss) ($56)
TechFlex Expandable Braided wire sleeving (1/4"x25') ($16)
Electric Hot Knife (for cutting the braided wire sleeving) ($37)
Heat Shrink Variety Pack (I already have one, but may need more) ($9)
3M Super 88 Electrical tape (as a filler to get free shipping) ($14)
Knitted women's long arm fingerless gloves (I figured I had better get the woman something too) ($11)

Can't wait to start running wires, and clamping down the bars.

I ordered the stainless cables simply because I am torn on chroming or powdercoating the front end. I guess either way, the cables will either blend in with the chrome, or provide an interesting contrast if I decide to go with a blacked out front end. Seems like everyone has a chromed out deluxe... So maybe that means I'll have to go black? Too early to tell yet.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:00 AM
kizzletruck
Tourer

Today I was finally able to get into the garage and start the tear down, to get ready for the parts deliveries that should all come within the next week. I wasn't sure how far I wanted to go, but once I got started I just kept plugging away. I managed to get the front end (headlamp/passing lamps/cowlings/bars/risers/switches/riser bushings) all pulled out.

Next I went to work on the tank so that I could pull all of the switches and wiring off and set it all aside. Having done this once before on the Train, and knowing there was about three gallons of fuel in the tank.. I figured I was going to make a mess. After some thinking, I learned a trick for cutting the crossover line for the fuel tank. What I did was take two needle-nose vise grips and clamp the line on each side, as close as I could to the spigot that comes out of the tank. After trying to reach between the frame, I couldn't get at the line with a razor to cut it in the middle - I needed a longer blade.

I rummaged through my toolbox, and found my Leatherman. After finding the right angle, I was able to go between the down tubes and after a few "slices", there was a nice clean cut. All I had to do was CAREFULLY lift off the tank (vice grips still clamped on the lines), and bring it to my gas can. I stuck one side of the fuel line into the tank, released the vise grips, and viola. Repeated for the other side and the tank was empty. When I reassemble, I will do the same as I did on my Night Train, and use a longer section of line with a splice in the middle. Easy.

I also pulled the exhaust, in anticipation that I will have my fishies on order soon... After that, I think I'll be done for a little while until I save up some more money. But, the two most important things will be covered: Apes and sound. Everything after that is an "item at a time". Here are some pictures. I don't have much room to work (with two antique tractors in a 1 1/2 stall garage), but you gotta do with what ya got! Enjoy.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:31 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

Man, those are some big tractors. Good luck on your build. I am sure lots of folks will be watching. Lots a pics, pleze.

Old 12-23-2014, 03:02 AM
kizzletruck
Tourer

Originally Posted by cocky
Man, those are some big tractors. Good luck on your build. I am sure lots of folks will be watching. Lots a pics, pleze.
Thanks.. I get that a lot. Especially since I live in a townhome. Big or small, though.. As long as I can get my machines in the garage, that is all that matters.

I've got enough room and warmth right now (since I live in MN) to keep going... But much later into the year and it is going to get awfully cold in the garage.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:02 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,438 Likes on 4,132 Posts

Dude, you're making me nervous leaving that front fender on while working on your front end. Good luck.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:07 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I hear you on the cold weather brah. I do all my work in a detached shed/garage with no heat at all. In the winter I basically stay out there until I can't hold the tools anymore cause my hands are numb.

It's amazing how high my tolerance to cold weather has gotten from working in that shed. Last year I barely lasted an hour. I can pretty much stay out there as long as I want now.

you are gonna be selling this thing once you're done with it right ?

Old 12-23-2014, 11:03 AM
kizzletruck
Tourer

Originally Posted by AJSHOVEL
Dude, you're making me nervous leaving that front fender on while working on your front end. Good luck.
I was a little nervous myself, so I have got three soft t-shirts folded up on top of it. There is a lot of padding there. Only reason I left it on is because I don't have a lot of places to stick it right now to keep it genuinely safe. I don't think the fiance will want it in the house.

Originally Posted by Alain
I hear you on the cold weather brah. I do all my work in a detached shed/garage with no heat at all. In the winter I basically stay out there until I can't hold the tools anymore cause my hands are numb.

It's amazing how high my tolerance to cold weather has gotten from working in that shed. Last year I barely lasted an hour. I can pretty much stay out there as long as I want now.

you are gonna be selling this thing once you're done with it right ?
Yeah, I know all about cold... For some reason we have this warm rainy spell that seems to be sticking around. "Warm" at 35 degrees, that is... We already have been well below zero, but that weather took off. I would rather have winter be winter, personally... This rainy crap sucks. As far as selling the bike... Nope, not this one. I'm going to ride it for a long time.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:50 PM
garsam
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before ya put the tank back on maybe check out a goodridge quick connect for the fuel line. Never have to worry about spillin' fuel when you remove (you know you will be) the tank again. One of my favorite (cheap) up grades yet. Meanwhile we want more pics of the build!

Old 12-25-2014, 08:04 AM
kizzletruck
Tourer

First, MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

Second... USPS and FedEx dropped off my bars, risers, cables, and poly bushings yesterday. Unfortunately, I didn't get around to them until just now - just got home from work and threw them up quick to see how I like 'em. They fit me PERFECT. Risers look great, and the bushings are nice and stiff. Enjoy the two quick photos I snapped. Pulled them back off to run my wires. Won't be able to do that until I get the wire covering that I ordered, though. I'll get them all extended today, though. I've got the house to myself - went to the fiance's parents yesterday, and going to my mom's tomorrow. Just me, the Deluxe, and the dog at home. I can deal with that though having new parts in the living room!

Originally Posted by garsam
Before ya put the tank back on maybe check out a goodridge quick connect for the fuel line. Never have to worry about spillin' fuel when you remove (you know you will be) the tank again. One of my favorite (cheap) up grades yet. Meanwhile we want more pics of the build!
I'll have to look into this quick connect. Not a bad idea! I though about just putting a capped "t" in the replacement line so that I can drain it by pulling a cap, and removing the hose. Thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited by kizzletruck; 12-25-2014 at 08:10 AM.

Quick Reply: 2012 Deluxe Build Begins...