Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Deluxe Build Begins...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 09:20 PM
kizzletruck
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2012 Deluxe Build Begins...

Well, the build is officially underway. This one will be a bit slower than the Night Train build, but at least it's moving forward. Yesterday I kicked it off by picking up the headlamp and passing lamp trim rings with visors - easy add on, but when I bolted on the head lamp trim ring I noticed that there was a ton of flop and would vibrate and clang around like a '82 Isuzu if I didn't do something. With some padded foam tape on the inside of the ring, it's a snug fit now.

Also ordered the 18" Chubby apes today. Going to have to wait a couple weeks before ordering the cables/risers/grips though. I forgot how expensive doing it piece by piece is! (On the Night Train, I already had the bars and risers). Ah well, hopefully by the time spring rolls around I can have the apes installed and the fishies mounted up and ready to roll. Here comes bike build #4........

Old 12-18-2014, 10:21 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by kizzletruck
Well, the build is officially underway. This one will be a bit slower than the Night Train build, but at least it's moving forward. Yesterday I kicked it off by picking up the headlamp and passing lamp trim rings with visors - easy add on, but when I bolted on the head lamp trim ring I noticed that there was a ton of flop and would vibrate and clang around like a '82 Isuzu if I didn't do something. With some padded foam tape on the inside of the ring, it's a snug fit now.

Also ordered the 18" Chubby apes today. Going to have to wait a couple weeks before ordering the cables/risers/grips though. I forgot how expensive doing it piece by piece is! (On the Night Train, I already had the bars and risers). Ah well, hopefully by the time spring rolls around I can have the apes installed and the fishies mounted up and ready to roll. Here comes bike build #4........
I have the 18" Chubby Psycho Apes on a Heritage. You will like those apes. High quality! They are on the wide side (40" from tip to tip). SJ Ron

Old 12-19-2014, 04:37 AM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

LOL I'll be watching this one. Bought a'12 Deluxe also a couple mo's ago, and when we budgeted for it I convinced the wife to add 5K for upgrades.

I've got all the parts, but had shoulder surgery 2 weeks back and have to wait now. It's always something...

Old 12-19-2014, 06:19 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

Do a search on the head light trim ring, everyone has had that same problem including me. Foam tape is the trick. Took me several tries with different widths to get it right. Good luck with the build. I am almost done with mine. If I can get it back from the dealer today, I can finish this weekend( hes trying to get the poping out).

Old 12-19-2014, 07:49 AM
kizzletruck
Tourer

Originally Posted by SanJuanRon
I have the 18" Chubby Psycho Apes on a Heritage. You will like those apes. High quality! They are on the wide side (40" from tip to tip). SJ Ron
I must admit.. I didn't spring for the Wild1 Chubbies. I actually purchased the same brand I had on the Night Train build I did. They were manufactured by Khrome Werks, which if I remember right is owned or affiliated with Ultima. Either way, I had good luck with them on my Night Train, and the price was right. Plus the fit was great for me, seeing as I am 5'10", a set of really wide 18" apes could get uncomfortable. The apes I picked up are only 37" tip to tip, are pre-drilled, and are 1 1/4" diameter. For 99 bucks. Actually, when I bought the same set in 2011, they were only $79, so in 3 years they have gone up 20 bucks. Not too shabby.

Originally Posted by Steel Wheels
LOL I'll be watching this one. Bought a'12 Deluxe also a couple mo's ago, and when we budgeted for it I convinced the wife to add 5K for upgrades.

I've got all the parts, but had shoulder surgery 2 weeks back and have to wait now. It's always something...
It's always something, ain't it? I can't wait to really get plugging away on this one. I'm not sure how long it will take me to finish this build - but hopefully I can have it done within a couple years. I've got my list together, and it seems like everything I check something off (already), I add two more items. Plus I have got a couple of things I want to sit down with a friend of mine and custom make. Make a swift recovery so we can see a picture of this warlock when you are done.

Originally Posted by cocky
Do a search on the head light trim ring, everyone has had that same problem including me. Foam tape is the trick. Took me several tries with different widths to get it right. Good luck with the build. I am almost done with mine. If I can get it back from the dealer today, I can finish this weekend( hes trying to get the poping out).
I think I have got it set up pretty good with the foam tape I used. I wonder if it has something to do with/if the actual lamp assembly being thinner than the earlier Harley's? I have no idea, but the foam tape I had laying around sure cured it.

I'm still struggling on whether or not to black out the front end, or go chrome. The fiancee says chrome, but I want to be a little different from the norm. Tough call. Does anyone know if the Arlen Ness Retro Fork Boot Covers will work on the FL Softails? I have seen them on bikes doing image searches, but wasn't sure if there was a special modification that needed to be done. Thought about adding the black diamond cut ones to add some contrast if I do decide to chrome the front end.

As of right now, I'm trying to unload some of the factory add-on's that the previous owner had (Slip Ons, Windshield, Hard leather bags, Risers & Bars). So if you guys know of anyone, send 'em my way.. Let's accelerate the funding for this project!

Old 12-19-2014, 08:25 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Post up those before and after pictures.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:11 PM
kizzletruck
Tourer

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
Before:

Old 12-19-2014, 02:20 PM
Dutch101st
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
He is right...no pix, it didnt happen

Old 12-19-2014, 10:28 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by kizzletruck
Before:

Aw jeeze, I love the befores so this should only get better right?

Old 12-20-2014, 07:22 AM
kizzletruck
Tourer

Originally Posted by Sleeko
Aw jeeze, I love the befores so this should only get better right?
That's the plan! Got the bags sold, so I will finish up ordering what I need for the apes, and then it is on to the 36" Samson's. Slowly but surely!

Quick Reply: 2012 Deluxe Build Begins...