Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motherwell rack fitment

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 09:35 AM
kneesinthebreeze
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
just out of curiousity, why don't you use the notches that are on the thumbscrews? that's where my motherwell rack mounts directly in to, and doesn't move or shake loose or wobble or anything. just think it might free up some threads since it looks pretty stacked there
I take my seat off when I clean my bike so mounting the rack under the seat just saves a little time of not having to remove the rear rack bolt, plus I like the look of the seat rack on top. The knurled nuts have plenty of threads to hold tight.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:50 PM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

On the rear seat bolts makes the rack sit up to high off the fender for me. Bolted under the seat bracket on the front and directly to the fender(with rubber washer) on the rear makes the rack hug the fender and it sits the same height off the fender from front to rear. I know, to ****, but its in the DNA.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:56 PM
steamybob
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cocky
Mustang makes chrome nuts #78032 for $8.00 that looks way better than the stock nuts. They also have the slot for the pillion if you so desire. I also bought a mustang mini bib for about the same price, but I can not make it work the way I would like. It has braided trim that matches the seat and saddlebags. If only the 1/4 x 20 studs that come up through the fender were a little longer, I could make it work. Maybe I will try again tommorrow when brain is more fresh.
Did you ever get around to extending the seat studs? Advice please!

Old 08-28-2016, 02:57 AM
my56pan
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seat Stud Lengthening

Extending the length of the seat studs is an easy fix. Remove the plate that holds the current studs. The studs are basically a press fit, so take the plate to your vice/anvil and just pop them out. Replace with bolts 1/4" longer than stock length and add a spot weld with your mig welder for good measures. Then drop a thin wire or string down through one of the plate mount holes, attach it to the plate and pull it up into place. Replace the plastic washers that hold it in place and vallah! your all set. I had the same issue when I added the Motherwell fender rack. Total fix time about 30-40 minutes. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
steamybob (08-28-2016)