Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting the chrome swing arm project...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 03:58 PM
Bigman405
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Plvs Vltra
As this mod is on my to-do list, I really appreciate the details and information Dieselvol and Bigman405 are sharing in this topic. Thanks for sharing!
No problem just holler when you need help. Ride Safe.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:06 PM
Dieselvol
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Plvs Vltra
As this mod is on my to-do list, I really appreciate the details and information Dieselvol and Bigman405 are sharing in this topic. Thanks for sharing!
No problem, here's a big tip for you right now! BEFORE you tear your bike in half, look the chrome swing arm over well and compare it to the one on your bike. Yep, you guessed it...got the swing arm off tonight, popped down right beside its replacement, and they ain't nothin' alike! Extra holes, missing holes, similar holes, just in different places, not usable at all. Not sure yet what I have, but I know what I don't have. I'll start the process of getting it all exchanged for the right thing in the morning. While I wait, I guess I now have time to change the oil, transmission fluid, primary fluid, write a novel...

Old 01-16-2015, 12:15 AM
Plvs Vltra
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dieselvol
No problem, here's a big tip for you right now! BEFORE you tear your bike in half, look the chrome swing arm over well and compare it to the one on your bike. Yep, you guessed it...got the swing arm off tonight, popped down right beside its replacement, and they ain't nothin' alike! Extra holes, missing holes, similar holes, just in different places, not usable at all. Not sure yet what I have, but I know what I don't have. I'll start the process of getting it all exchanged for the right thing in the morning. While I wait, I guess I now have time to change the oil, transmission fluid, primary fluid, write a novel...

Ain't that a bitch! Good look getting the correct piece.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:02 AM
Bigman405
Road Master

Originally Posted by Dieselvol
Dam. Sorry to hear that. Speaking of oil changes i need to change mine as well.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:24 AM
Dieselvol
Cruiser

Got the right swing arm now but the project has stalled again. Is there a trick to getting the retaining ring out that allows you to remove the pivot bolt bearings from the swing arm? Mine will not even start to move. I called the dealer and have a replacement set ordered ($77), but that's another week wait and I can cancel if someone knows the trick. I tried knocking them through, but they weren't much interested in that either.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:38 AM
Dieselvol
Cruiser

Standard advice around here seems to be "hit it with some PB Blaster". Just did it. We'll see how it goes.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:16 PM
Bigman405
Road Master

I didn't reuse the pivot bearing I put all ***** bearing in the chrome one. I had to order a pivot bearing installer and remover from j&p cycles to install it.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:25 PM
Dieselvol
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Bigman405
I didn't reuse the pivot bearing I put all ***** bearing in the chrome one. I had to order a pivot bearing installer and remover from j&p cycles to install it.
Hmmm, didn't know we had an option. I assume there's a way to get the snap ring out, but I've not found it yet.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:23 PM
Dieselvol
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Bigman405
I'm thinking I'm going "all *****" as well, now that I've researched this all a bit more. My service manual research did not prepare me for this part of the project in any way. What pivot bearing installer did you get and did you like it?

Old 01-30-2015, 10:24 PM
Bigman405
Road Master

It's a motion pro install and removal tool from j&p cycles. Here's the link. It should work on your year model. http://www.jpcycles.com/product/911-665

Quick Reply: Starting the chrome swing arm project...