Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beware J&P cycles risers

Old 01-18-2015, 10:55 PM
Pete3323
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Beware J&P cycles risers

Installed their 4 1/2 inch risers on my 2k Heritage. Love what they do for the bike. Fits me perfect now. 2 weeks after install i was adjusting the bars and a chunk of riser came off! Obviously cheap pot metal. Called J&P and was told no refunds without the part so they could determine if it was bad. Not sending in the part and have bike down til they "determine" that. Three bolts will have to do for now. BEWARE J&P Cycles risers!

Old 01-18-2015, 11:28 PM
Poppawhiskey
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Why don't you at least take some pictures and send them in. Hopefully they will agree with you and you can work out an agreeable replacement schedule. Good luck.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:20 AM
Beltdriven
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't it make sense to buy parts from your local Independent instead of making already rich mail order house richer.You build a good relationship with the Indy and he takes the part back no questions and you aren't bothered with mailing the part to JP.I would say JP would prolly replace the part but would want shipping.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:40 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

J&P Cycles sells a lot of different risers.

Just saying...

Old 01-19-2015, 04:34 AM
gusotto
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

J&P is very generous (forgiving) with returns and will work with you.
Check out their Scratch and Dent section. People return items that are visably damaged and/or missing parts.
You have to do your part and return the item.

If a different part trips your trigger, order it, then return the "defective" part. They'll work with you.

I deal with them all the time for parts. Easy when I'm only 40 minutes away.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:51 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why won't you send the broken part back?

Old 01-19-2015, 07:23 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete3323
Installed their 4 1/2 inch risers on my 2k Heritage. Love what they do for the bike. Fits me perfect now. 2 weeks after install i was adjusting the bars and a chunk of riser came off! Obviously cheap pot metal. Called J&P and was told no refunds without the part so they could determine if it was bad. Not sending in the part and have bike down til they "determine" that. Three bolts will have to do for now. BEWARE J&P Cycles risers!
Why would they give you a refund without having the part? That is silly to think that any business would do that. What torque value are you using when installing the bolts? I would definitely not be riding with 3 of 4 bolts keeping your bars on. Especially when a part of the riser has already been compromised. Sounds like a quick way to get a face full of car in a hard stop scenario.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:22 AM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by 24v
Why would they give you a refund without having the part? That is silly to think that any business would do that. What torque value are you using when installing the bolts? I would definitely not be riding with 3 of 4 bolts keeping your bars on. Especially when a part of the riser has already been compromised. Sounds like a quick way to get a face full of car in a hard stop scenario.
I agree DO NOT RIDE THE BIKE.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:52 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 783 Likes on 596 Posts

In order to help protect others regarding a possible life and death situation consider identification of the specific item by manufacturer product code, specific name or maybe a link.
A picture would probably help J & P cycle to identify a possible threat of potential injury and would also help fellow motorcyclist avoid the same problem.
Riding the bike with the reported broken part that is responsible for steering input would obviously not be advised.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:19 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Beltdriven
Doesn't it make sense to buy parts from your local Independent instead of making already rich mail order house richer.You build a good relationship with the Indy and he takes the part back no questions and you aren't bothered with mailing the part to JP.I would say JP would prolly replace the part but would want shipping.
Although I sense I am opening a huge can of worms here...

In some cases there is a reason a company grows big and rich. J&P has never sent thugs into my house and taken my money at gunpoint. Nor have I ever heard of them doing that to anyone. What they have done is give me consistent quality customer service and reasonable discounts on just about anything I've ordered from them. A large rich company like J&P also has more room to eat the costs of something like this and more likely to resolve the problem as quickly as possible.

On the other hand, I've tried indies and have run into a number of issues along the lines of what everyone is trying to avoid here...

And indy is just that; an independent that is not under some larger corporate umbrella with huge financial backing. When they fail to deliver on expectations, chances are they have a lot more to lose in order to rectify the problem. And when it comes to buying parts from them? I've yet to visit an indy shop that has anywhere near the inventory on hand. Then's there's the likelihood that the only keep brands of products in stock that they have a biased towards. So what's been the case when I've been in an indy and they don't have what I need? Chances are they reach under the counter and pull out a big-@$$ J&P and start flipping pages to find what I need. At which point I figure that I don't need this middle man trying to make a dime off the same part so I just go and order myself.

Originally Posted by Next In Line
J&P Cycles sells a lot of different risers.

Just saying...
Exactly. They are a supplier of all types and brands of parts. They are also one of the major go to sources for the Indy shops. Just because you bought something from them doesn't mean they made it and thus are responsible for the items quality. As long as they make good on it then they've done their bit.

Originally Posted by peg20
Why won't you send the broken part back?
Exactly!!! I can't remember the last time I got a refund from ANYONE by simply telling them that what they sold me was defective.

Just spare yourself some more frustration and send the parts back. It'll spare you some grief in the long run.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Beware J&P cycles risers