Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breakout Handling

Old 01-19-2015, 02:30 AM
bl66
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breakout Handling

Hi there,

I'm very very close to buy a breakout. Got a Fat Boy Lo and a Street Glide before. Sold both and I would like the Breakout. I really like the look, but one little thing is really bothering me. I read so often, that the curve-handling is pretty poor. I also read, that putting on some new Metzeler tires changes it about 80%.

I also want a bike to ride, not only for show purpose

How are your experiences with it?
How different ist it for example to a fat boy lo?

thanks for any advice
ride safe

Old 01-19-2015, 02:43 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Why not take one for a test ride and find out yourself?

Old 01-19-2015, 02:52 AM
bl66
Novice

Originally Posted by Next In Line
Why not take one for a test ride and find out yourself?
Because it's snow here where I live. No chance for a testride. I rode one a year ago but just for half an hour. Also had the feeling, that she doesn't like to bend, but that was only a half an hour and easy test ride.

I'm asking because I got a great offer right now …*
I really wish I could test ride it but this won't be possible for the next 3 months.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:32 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

They handle fine, but the handling takes a little getting used to, just like anything with a rear tire that wide. Limited cornering clearance will be the constraint, not anything odd about the handling.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:50 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to the crew!
I agree with warp factor on this one, been though I RIDE the breakouts older brother, the rocker. Same idea and frame, tire setup.
I have had mine for six years and put on 45k.
Getting used to a new motorcycle takes a couple thousand miles...kind of like a new horse or female relationship...you have to ride them for a while, learn their how they handle, etc...LOL.
My rocker now rides like a dream and I would never get rid of it...but, I think you need to tween them a bit so the both of you are insynch. Mine is lowered in back 1.5 inches with progressive springs, New progressive spring kit in front also made a HUGE POSITIVE change only 90 bucks, stage one intake mufflers and cobra tuner with o2 sensors.
Once you ride it for a while, I'll bet we could not wipe the smile off your face...LOL.
Ride safe.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:55 AM
bl66
Novice

Originally Posted by Rodzilla6
Welcome to the crew!
I agree with warp factor on this one, been though I RIDE the breakouts older brother, the rocker. Same idea and frame, tire setup.
I have had mine for six years and put on 45k.
Getting used to a new motorcycle takes a couple thousand miles...kind of like a new horse or female relationship...you have to ride them for a while, learn their how they handle, etc...LOL.
My rocker now rides like a dream and I would never get rid of it...but, I think you need to tween them a bit so the both of you are insynch. Mine is lowered in back 1.5 inches with progressive springs, New progressive spring kit in front also made a HUGE POSITIVE change only 90 bucks, stage one intake mufflers and cobra tuner with o2 sensors.
Once you ride it for a while, I'll bet we could not wipe the smile off your face...LOL.
Ride safe.
Thanks for the reply. I know what you mean. The bike I would buy (used) already has Stage 1, very nice mufflers and a new (better) rear-tire.

I also was very satisfied with my fat boy lo. hope it's a little similar.

best regards

Old 01-19-2015, 09:01 AM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior
Received 254 Likes on 158 Posts

i feel the bike handles fantastic! it limitation is lean angle. you having had the fatboy lo i believe the lean angle on both bikes is the same. i would definitely ride it first but i will tell you the bike is very confident, it handles great! as a matter of fact it handles so well you will want to throw it in more and then you will scrape the pegs. i scraped my pegs constantly the first 2 weeks, after that you get used to it.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:48 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

If you rode one a year ago and didn't like the way it felt, why do you think a good deal is going to make it handle better?

Now if you really want something that handles well in the bends, start looking into naked sport bikes. It opens up a whole different world of riding style that is more challenging.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:42 AM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Next In Line
If you rode one a year ago and didn't like the way it felt, why do you think a good deal is going to make it handle better?

Now if you really want something that handles well in the bends, start looking into naked sport bikes. It opens up a whole different world of riding style that is more challenging.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:36 PM
Jimstang
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like any bike, you learn to trust it and learn it's limitations. I scrape pegs and boot heels on a regular basis and love every second of it. The Breakout handles excellent in my opinion.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Breakout Handling