Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Night Train springer bobber styled

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 09:57 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

E-mail sent Ink. Check your spam folder LOL

Old 06-26-2016, 04:08 AM
Ink83
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Got it thanks Splatt

Old 07-07-2016, 07:22 AM
Ink83
Road Warrior

Got a bunch of changes happening this fortnight, some work on the tank and to be repainted with the custom fabracting rear fender that's almost done. I'll keep the picks coming as **** gets done

Old 07-07-2016, 07:39 AM
MFC
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

why did you put those fittings on the tank????

Old 07-07-2016, 11:09 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been gone for a while. What are you up to now ?

Old 07-07-2016, 06:49 PM
Ink83
Road Warrior

MFC had an issue with this tank in the fact it has no overflow line, it uses a 2 way valve in the cap. This caused two problems, one if I filled the tank only 3/4 full, fuel would splash back out around the cap. I need a full tank and with out the splash back.
Secondly the 11:1 compression I need to run our 98 pump fuel here, and being I also work away a lot there periods of time I don't use it. Even left sitting for a week the fuel has already started to lose its quality and the bike runs like **** then. Unlike a carby where I could pull the fuel hose and drain it, it's not that simple with the internal fuel pump.

So I've added two lines which both will have taps further down the line. One is a drain line to make draining shitty fuel nice an easy. The second line has a tube attached on the inside and runs up along inside top of the tank up to the highest point, and that's my overflow line and vent to vent the gasses out. I will make a new gas cap that only breathes in, so now it will work much like you factory tanks, only I won't have a valve on the out vent line, I'll have a tap instead that I can manually shut off when the bikes stored away.

Now the tank can't breathe while sitting there and in theory I shouldn't need the drain line now, but I also found some of the more quiet fuel stations that don't get fresh fuel as regular, a tank of fuel from them straight up made the bike run ****. I figured it'll be best to just keep the drain line in. Part of the problem is the bike has not been on the dyno for a proper tune yet but the high compression is going to be an issue with our shitty fuels here regardless, so I'm going to also run an octane booster

So instead of tapping the lines in underneath the tank somewhere, I thought running them both together out the rear like a frisco carby tank because plain and simple I think it looks good there haha. There were no real clean way to run the two lines down from the tank to the ground so I figured if I can't hide it I will make it a highlight.

Hey Alain, hope your good man. Just making some changes to the bike on a few things I have discovered to be things I didn't like since doing the test rides

Last edited by Ink83; 07-07-2016 at 06:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MFC (07-08-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 07:52 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

So isn't a poduct like Stabil able keep your ful frsh. Guessin it ain't. So damn! That blows.
But worth the hassle

Old 07-07-2016, 09:26 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm good ink. Stinks you ran into this issue with the tank. But I'll tell you what, I like the way the two connections come out of the back of the tank. Looks bad ***. Keep grinding bro.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:41 PM
Ink83
Road Warrior

To be honest I've never seen anything like that here Splatt, sounds like a good product, but for me that would mean something od have to regularly order in, and another thing I'd have to carry with me if I were to leave the bike somewhere else then home. I'd rather just to be able to seal the tank off at the flick of a tap.

Cheers Alain, to be honest I like it too. I got the Aeroflow anodize fitting and braided lines hooking up to them. I knew when I got the bike going if find things I'd need to changed or modify to improve.

Messing around with a new tailight today, the new light looks HEAPS better

Old 07-07-2016, 10:30 PM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts

11-1 compression is not high enough to need 98 octane. It sounds like the tune is off and needs to have the timing dialed back this will allow you to run premium 93 octane. In addition to that if your tank was not venting correctly you could have had low fuel pressure issues. Harley's use a dead head fuel system which means the fuel pressure regulator is before the injectors so you may want to do a fuel pressure test to make sure you are getting 55-62 psi.

Quick Reply: Night Train springer bobber styled