Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sissy Bar Luggage Mounted "Backwards"

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 11:37 AM
wvedec
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sissy Bar Luggage Mounted "Backwards"

Hello,

I am considering getting a medium size piece of luggage. I want to mount it using my sissy bar, but I do not have (and may not want) to put it on a luggage rack. I was hoping to mount the luggage "backwards", that, sitting on the pillion and strapped to the sissy bar. I am considering the following bags:

Kuryakyn XKursion XS 3.0

Kuryakyn XKursion XS 4.5

Kuryakyn Ultra Tour Bag

Harley Davidson Touring Bag

Kuryakyn claims that all of their bags can be mounted on the passenger seat, although I worry about the depth of the Ultra Tour Bag (15") encroaching into the rider seating area. Also, I don't know if the H-D bag can be mounted backwards (on the seat) or must be mounted on a luggage rack.

Any experiences or suggestions would be appreciated, including suggestions for other luggage that can rest on the passenger seat and be secured to the sissy bar.

Thanks,
Wayne

Last edited by wvedec; 01-27-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:29 PM
perrybell4
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use my Kuryakyn Grantour bag In reverse/back rest all the time... works great plus has an adjustable pad for your back. plenty of storage also...

Old 03-15-2016, 09:22 PM
aswoodfloors
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im having the same dilema with bags. I cant find a dealer in my area that carries them in stock to see it first hand. I ride a deuce and want to mount it to the seat at times as well. How did you make out?

Old 03-16-2016, 12:17 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,147 Likes on 6,211 Posts

Don't get the premium touring bag from Harkey. Get the roller one instead.

These are the bags I have.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...ng-touring-bag

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/tail-bag

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/sissy-bar-backpack

They seem a little pricey at first, but after having them for a while, I have come to appreciate their value and like them even more.

You can use them individually or in combination with each other in front or behind the sissy bar. The little rack behind my sissy bar was inexpensive and is well worth the money.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:55 AM
tommyglide
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If interested in real leather, Leather Works Inc makes a quality product. I use their sissy bar bag mounted on the pillion, its like settin in a easy chair all day long.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:26 PM
wvedec
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Works

I bought a large bage from Viking with an overnight bag accessory. I also bought a Harley Premium Overnight bag (1700 cc). All work fine mounted "backwards" on my passenger seat/pillion.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:04 PM
Kburgad
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

I've got a lonestar t bag with top roll that i put backwards on my sissy bar, sometimes on the passenger seat of my badlander, sometimes on my fender bib with solo, I pull my apes back 4 inches and lean back and relax on anything over 200 miles. I'm gonna put some tarp grommets in the front pocket and mount a backrest to it I think. Its comfortable but not perfect.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:19 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,399 Likes on 4,011 Posts

Take a look at the T-Bag line. You can get them for a good price if you search online...

https://www.tbags.com/

I have had a couple for many years and they are durable. I have mounted one on my passenger seat on both my bikes for long trips. If I pack it well, it doubles as a backrest.... very comfortable..

Old 03-19-2016, 01:41 PM
aswoodfloors
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just picked up the kuryakyn ultra tour bag. I compaired it to the xcursion 3.0. The 3.0 is a little taller but bevels inward at the top The opening is bigger too. Once you get to the top of the bag the ultra is definatly bigger. The pockets expand on the ultra wider than the 3.0 can expand too. So overall it looks like they might be close with storage space. Im not liking the large flap over the backrest on the ultra. I like the straps for the 3.0 better. But You can use a few extra straps to hold it down better if needed. I have not mounted it yet but all in all i bet it will be solid. The one thing I do like is that the ultra has a bunch of d rings on each side to strap stuff to it. Plus the daily bag can strap on nicely. I think Im going to be happy with this bag. Oh yea, its a 100 bucks less.

Old 03-19-2016, 03:06 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I love the HD bag on wheels. It's huge and can easily accommodate everything I need for a week or 2 of touring. I put mine on backwards on the seat, clip it around the sissy bar and use a couple bungee cords to secure it.

When I get to hotels I just unclip it, remove bungee cords and roll it into the hotel. All my friends are busy heaving heavy bags and looking for luggage carts. It is pricey but my dealer had a 20% off sale last year so I did good. I love the bag and it was worth the money. I have a smaller bag for overnights also from HD and that fits fine backwards on the seat. I still use bungee cords. The waterproof covers that come with the bags work perfectly.

Quick Reply: Sissy Bar Luggage Mounted "Backwards"