Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Color for my new fenders and tanks

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 04:40 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Color for my new fenders and tanks

Well I'm gonna be needing paint on my new fenders soon.

So I am considering painting the gas and oil tanks as well. As most of you know I have a 2008 rocker c, pacific blue pearl was the stock color.

I've changed all the chrome to black gloss and I have the CVO breakout wheels.

Joe the powder pro suggested a light silver color, either flat or gloss. See the pic, on the left its gloss and on the right it's flat.

I'd like some input from others before I decide.

Id Like to do a blue pinstripe on top of whatever color I choose in order to tie in the frame to the tins better but the problem is that I don't want to spend a lot of money on the paint. I have other things on the horizon that id rather spend the money on.

Attached Thumbnails Color for my new fenders and tanks-image.jpg  
Old 01-29-2015, 04:44 PM
kneesinthebreeze
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I like the flat colors as long as they are on the other guys bike.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:46 PM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts

I like flat colors but i feel gloss stays better looking over time. others say it is nice not not wax

Old 01-29-2015, 08:28 PM
professorzoogy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you doing a polyurethane finish or powder coat ? the flat looks cool .....but the gloss seems to make the metallic pop a little more.....they both look good actually lol tough one dude !

Old 01-29-2015, 08:47 PM
brockND
Cruiser

The flat light silver is a favorite of mine. Especially with all the black. Not positive how I feel with a blue frame and the new paint tho. Could look awesome but I just cant wrap my head around it. When I thought I was painting my bike the flat color you have there is what I was going with. Really like your bike the way it is. Not sure how it where you are but here there is a lot of the rockers in that blue so a color change would definitely separate you from the majority. cant wait to see it finished! good luck

Old 01-29-2015, 09:25 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by professorzoogy
are you doing a polyurethane finish or powder coat ? the flat looks cool .....but the gloss seems to make the metallic pop a little more.....they both look good actually lol tough one dude !
I think that specific picture is powder coat. I'm up for either spray or powder coat. I agree with you that the gloss makes the metallic pop more. That is something to consider. Thst silver is the same color of the Flames that come in the original paint work on the rocker.

Originally Posted by brockND
The flat light silver is a favorite of mine. Especially with all the black. Not positive how I feel with a blue frame and the new paint tho. Could look awesome but I just cant wrap my head around it. When I thought I was painting my bike the flat color you have there is what I was going with. Really like your bike the way it is. Not sure how it where you are but here there is a lot of the rockers in that blue so a color change would definitely separate you from the majority. cant wait to see it finished! good luck
Just like you said here, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that color on a blue frame man. That's why I'm so on the fence about it.

Anyone have any suggestions for a color other than this silver ? I don't wanna get caught with unpainted tins when the spring rolls around. And that's only 8 weeks away.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:06 PM
brockND
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Alain

Anyone have any suggestions for a color other than this silver ? I don't wanna get caught with unpainted tins when the spring rolls around. And that's only 8 weeks away.
Clear coat the straight metal. no primer. haha. ive heard ppl talk about that but ive never seen it.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:22 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

I like the gloss. I think gloss would look better with the black gloss wheels. Silver is a nice color and goes well with black. My own taste says a slightly darker shade would look nicer.

No matter what choice you make, it will look great on your Rocker.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:26 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I am a fan of satin finishes but for something like that silver I would go with gloss. Otherwise it might look too much like primer. Or at least it does in those pics. And although I would agree that you would need to accent it somehow, I am not sure that blue pin stripe flames would be it. I would think something more substantial that would separate itself from the silver even at a distance would be better.

Can't wait to see what you go with!

Good luck!

Old 01-30-2015, 08:00 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by brockND
Clear coat the straight metal. no primer. haha. ive heard ppl talk about that but ive never seen it.
I gave that option some thought as well. Like you though, I've never seen it in person and I'm afraid of what it might look like up close.

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
I like the gloss. I think gloss would look better with the black gloss wheels. Silver is a nice color and goes well with black. My own taste says a slightly darker shade would look nicer.

No matter what choice you make, it will look great on your Rocker.
I know a gloss silver and will go really well hand in hand with all the gloss black I have now. What about the blue frame though?

I also agree with you on having a slightly darker grey than what's on that picture.

I actually saw a grey that I fell in love with. Problem is that it was on a photo in a magazine so I don't know if the colors on the pictures were altered at all by the magazine when it was printed. I can't think of the exact magazine but Im pretty sure it was motor trend. They had the new Challenger Hellcat in a dark silver/grey with the black hood and black wheels. That combination was stunning, caught my eye big time.

So when I picture my bike with that same combination of colors it really appeals to me. But once I close my eyes and picture that blue frame running through it I get an uneasy feeling. Makes me second guess the scheme.

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
I am a fan of satin finishes but for something like that silver I would go with gloss. Otherwise it might look too much like primer. Or at least it does in those pics. And although I would agree that you would need to accent it somehow, I am not sure that blue pin stripe flames would be it. I would think something more substantial that would separate itself from the silver even at a distance would be better.

Can't wait to see what you go with!

Good luck!
I'm gonna say that the flat silver is off the table. Flat wouldn't go with anything else I have on the bike.

I wouldn't do flames, I'm not a big fan of them. I hated that they came on the bike to begin with.
I would do some sort of pin stripes down the top of the fenders and the gas tank. But like I said, that's gonna be a one in a million shot cause I don't have the dough to spend on that and I imagine getting someone to do it would be expensive as hell.

I'm gonna see if I can find a picture of that challenger and put it up here.

If you guys think of any other colors on the rainbow that would flow nicely on that blue frame don't hesitste to post up.

Quick Reply: Color for my new fenders and tanks