Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent Idle/running issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 05:41 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts
Default Intermittent Idle/running issues

I don't know what's wrong with my 12 Heritage with 27,000 miles on it. I'm having intermittent issues with idle or when in first gear when coming to a stop as if it's about to stall. I roll the throttle a bunch of times and the revs return and so far it hasn't stalled out.
This has been happening for about 3 months but it's very occasional but is now occurring more frequently. My local dealership couldn't replicate it, my Indy heard it and tried new intake gaskets, spark plugs and a throttle position sensor replacement but it hasn't fixed it.

I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking of trading this bike. It's spent so much time in the dealership with electrical issues, this could be another one who knows. How much should I be throwing at it for diagnostics??? It sounds like bad gas but that's obviously not the problem. No problems at speed or running through the gears, only when bike is in first either when slowing down to a signal or turn or waiting at lights, and only occasionally.
Anybody with any ideas?

Old 01-30-2015, 06:08 PM
tommyglide
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Uklauren, a quick easy check would be to observe your idle air control (iac). Take off your air flter and look at the top of your throttle body, turn your ignition on and off a few times and you should see and hear pintle moving up and down in its housing. I regularly clean mine with wd 40 or throttle body cleaner. That little riggin may well affect your idle. Good luck getting it figured.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:34 PM
tommyglide
Tourer

Hmmm, I could be wrong that you even have an iac what with your's being can bus. I've never looked down the neck of one of them.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:06 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Do you have original battery? Do you have an aftermarket tuner or XIED's installed? Have you cleaned and tightened battery cables. Have you done an wiring "wiggle" test on all connections under seat? Any indication of slow or dead spot while cranking engine? Are you running stock spark plugs? Does digital trip meter reset to odometer after shutdown and restart? Does 6th gear indicator light act erratic?

Old 01-30-2015, 08:40 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

First I was thinkin sumthing as simple as poor spark. Coil or even spark wires.
Then I thought it might be poor fuel delivery, as in pump or reg?

Old 01-30-2015, 09:05 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator

Battery is about a year old, it's always been a slow starter. The voltage reg is new (replaced recently and that's a long story), all electrics are working fine that I can see. Indy shop checked all battery terminals etc. I have Rush pipes with Dealership installed Stage 1, spark plugs are new (don't know what make but they were changed last week). It's not the fuel line it happens full or empty.

I went for a ride tonight, it was a PITA for the first 10 miles and spluttered at idle numerous times slowing into red traffic signals and while waiting for the lights to change. I just rode home after the bike cooled down and it rode with no problem. It does seem to be worse when it's warmed up.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:20 PM
eddiepoindexter
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uklauren
Battery is about a year old, it's always been a slow starter. The voltage reg is new (replaced recently and that's a long story), all electrics are working fine that I can see. Indy shop checked all battery terminals etc. I have Rush pipes with Dealership installed Stage 1, spark plugs are new (don't know what make but they were changed last week). It's not the fuel line it happens full or empty.

I went for a ride tonight, it was a PITA for the first 10 miles and spluttered at idle numerous times slowing into red traffic signals and while waiting for the lights to change. I just rode home after the bike cooled down and it rode with no problem. It does seem to be worse when it's warmed up.

Turn the EITMS off.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:33 PM
tommyglide
Tourer

Is not the eitms activated only when the bike is stopped and at a predetermined high temp?

Old 01-31-2015, 07:01 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator

Originally Posted by tommyglide
Is not the eitms activated only when the bike is stopped and at a predetermined high temp?
I believe it can only be disabled by the dealer on Softails. It's not hot enough for parade mode anyway, I'm getting this problem at random times on a ride.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:35 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by uklauren
I don't know what's wrong with my 12 Heritage with 27,000 miles on it. I'm having intermittent issues with idle or when in first gear when coming to a stop as if it's about to stall. I roll the throttle a bunch of times and the revs return and so far it hasn't stalled out.
This has been happening for about 3 months but it's very occasional but is now occurring more frequently. My local dealership couldn't replicate it, my Indy heard it and tried new intake gaskets, spark plugs and a throttle position sensor replacement but it hasn't fixed it.

I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking of trading this bike. It's spent so much time in the dealership with electrical issues, this could be another one who knows. How much should I be throwing at it for diagnostics??? It sounds like bad gas but that's obviously not the problem. No problems at speed or running through the gears, only when bike is in first either when slowing down to a signal or turn or waiting at lights, and only occasionally.
Anybody with any ideas?
I'm shaking my head right now. I wish I could offer insight into this problem. Whether or not this current issue is related to (all of your) previous problems with this bike, the additive headaches just don't seem worth it. It has been at the shop so often the dealer will start leasing a service bay to you.

The thought of trading in the bike is not always a pleasant one, especially if you have money and mods in it. At least you have that beautiful Heritage Springer to ride. Still, that doesn't help things because you like your Heritage Classic as well.

Good luck. If you decide to keep it, I hope this is an easy fix. Keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Idle/running issues