Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Show me your 14" Carlini Flying Apes

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 12:16 AM
Scootluver
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Echo6 Sierra
Dude, your bike is sick! I love those bars; almost makes me wish I went with the flying apes instead of the gangsters...
I appreciate it brotha!! In regards to the width, it ain't bad bro. Again, I'm a smaller stature homeboy, and it ain't bad. But if your main goal is comfort over looks, u probably are better off going for the 1.25 width bars.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:48 AM
Echo6 Sierra
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I went with the 1.5" bars because I have the 52mm inverted forks on my bike and I thought they would look better than the 1.25" bars. No problems with the width on them; they're actually very comfortable. If I had the standard FX front end I would have gone with the 1.25"

Old 02-25-2015, 07:44 AM
gregeinsc
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

It's not the width of those bars that will be a problem for you at 5'11". It's going to be the 12" rise. Your fists are going to be about even with your nips. Should have went with the 14" minimum if you wanted them to be even with your shoulders; 16" if you wanted them above.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:00 AM
moefoties
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gregeinsc
It's not the width of those bars that will be a problem for you at 5'11". It's going to be the 12" rise. Your fists are going to be about even with your nips. Should have went with the 14" minimum if you wanted them to be even with your shoulders; 16" if you wanted them above.
Even though the Flying Apes run about 1-1/2" taller than advertised?

Old 02-25-2015, 07:20 PM
moefoties
Cruiser

Thanks for all the input everyone...I just ordered the 14" 1.5 Flying Apes with the chrome High Roller risers. The bars will go on March 21st. I'l be sure and come back to post pics. If anyone has input on cable lengths, that would be much appreciated.

Last edited by moefoties; 02-26-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:08 PM
Scootluver
Cruiser

Originally Posted by moefoties
Thanks for all the input everyone...I just ordered the 14" 1.5 Flying Apes with the chrome High Roller risers. They bars will go on March 21st. I'l be sure and come back to post pics. If anyone has input on cable lengths, that would be much appreciated.
Good choice bro, I wouldnt of went less. The 14's flying apes should be around your shoulders. U should be good bro.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:04 AM
Echo6 Sierra
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by moefoties
Thanks for all the input everyone...I just ordered the 14" 1.5 Flying Apes with the chrome High Roller risers. They bars will go on March 21st. I'l be sure and come back to post pics. If anyone has input on cable lengths, that would be much appreciated.

I went with +12 MS cables and I have just enough slack. Do yourself a favor and mount the bars and take your own measurements....

Old 02-26-2015, 02:49 PM
moefoties
Cruiser

I contacted Carlini about cable length...they sell cable kits, but the sales person was unable to tell me the appropriate lengths for my bike. I contacted Magnum Shielding...same result. Finally, I contacted Wild1 (even though I'm going with Carlini bars) and they were very responsive and provided cable lengths for their 14" apes on a Deluxe with 1.5" risers (Clutch+6 & Throttle, Idle & Brake+8). I did some math and came up with this for the 14" 1.5 Flying Apes: Clutch+10 & Throttle, Idle & Brake+12. I added 1.5" to the Wild1 rise height since the Carlinis are closer to 15.5". I then added 2.5" to the left and right side since the Carlinis are 5" wider overall. With the extra 1.5" height added to the extra 2.5" width on each side, +10 on the left and +12 on the right adds up perfectly.

If I'm crazy, please chime in with your input. If it makes sense, please say so. Otherwise, I'll likely order the cables with the numbers I came up with.

Here's my promise to the forum: I've seen countless "What size cables do I need" threads that never go anywhere because the OP never follows-up after installing the bars. When I get these bars on (3/21/2015), I promise to come back to this thread and post my findings so it'll be more clear for others in the future. Wish me luck...who knows, maybe this should be the beginning of a very long thread about proper cable lengths for specific bikes and bars???

Old 02-26-2015, 03:21 PM
LowRider68
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Scootluver

Here I am with 14's at 5/6 bro. Like I said, at your height, minimum 16's
Hey Dude, get off my bike! Seriously, My bike is going to look pretty much like yours when I'm done this winter. You have good taste, my friend!

Old 02-27-2015, 02:19 AM
Scootluver
Cruiser

Originally Posted by LowRider68
Hey Dude, get off my bike! Seriously, My bike is going to look pretty much like yours when I'm done this winter. You have good taste, my friend!
Thanks bro, we all know it's a money pit

Quick Reply: Show me your 14" Carlini Flying Apes