Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X- Bones VS Softail Slim?

Old 02-27-2015, 10:06 AM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brockND
I have never owned a springer but i have always admired them. Just from me living on this forum i have read that you are suppose to check torque on everything every 2500 miles. Have also read that if you dont keep up on it it can get spendy to fix($1000+). from what i understand if you keep up with grease and checking torque there shouldnt be much to replace until high mileage.

Disclaimer* I have never owned one nor worked on one. haha. i just like them and read about them quite frequently.

I do love my slim but i am not impressed with the 103. Hoping the exhaust, ac, and tuner i have laying here do something noticable to it or next winter is going to be expensive for upgrades.
The Stage 1 does help, but I can't stress this enough, and this goes for any HD bike, it's all in the tune. I'm not gonna turn this into a tuning argument, so I will leave it at that. A bad tune will make any bike run hot and shitty, a good tune can wake up any bike.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:07 AM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
That's because Springers tend to retain quite a bit of their value and the Crossbones being the latest iteration is going to have the most updated platform. That said, you should get the one you like because you like it and not worry about whether or not it has a better resale value than than something else.

Slims are beautiful bikes but Springers are rather unique. Springers do require a bit more love in the area of maintenance but honestly it's a lot more negligible than most people who don't own them assume it to be. Similarly, a lot of folks (most of whom have never owned a springer) say they wouldn't get one because they hear that Springers ride poorly. I believe nothing is further from the truth. Mine is a daily rider of over 160 miles a day and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I've even had two different motorcycle cops tell me that in their opinion, Springers are their favorite models for comfort and NOT the Road Kings that they have to operate on.

You can't get a stock Crossbones with anything bigger than a 96ci twin cam. However, about two years after I got my Bones, a buddy of mine got a Harley with a 103 and insisted that I test ride it one afternoon when I had to run out on an errand. I am sure that if I went back and forth between the two bikes numerous times I might be able to discern some difference. However, I can't say that I felt like I was missing anything by not having the 103. On these heavy sleds, the advantages of the bigger motor felt rather negligible. The two differences that I did detect between his scoot and mine is that his felt like it put out WAY more heat and he had to stop for gas a lot sooner than I did whenever we were out and about.

Honestly, I think they share enough in terms of aesthetics that I can't image you could go wrong either way.
Thanks for all the info, greatly appreciate it, I have adjusted fall away in the bast on my baggers so no big deal there. And like you said on the bearings by the wheel, by the time that needs to be done you need a new tire anyhow so let the indy or the dealer have at that since they will be working there anyways.

Thanks for the input.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:15 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaburg1
To me, nothing says Harley Davidson more than a Springer. The Crossbones could very well be the last Springer made by HD, and it's the most updated and modern version of this classic design. I have always loved the looks of a Springer. The fact that mine is a 2011, the last year they were made, makes it all the more appealing. I'll stick my neck out and recommend the Crossbones over the Slim. The Springer is one of those bikes that will always have a loyal following, and one of those styles that you may always regret never having owned. That's how it would've played out for me, and I'm glad I saw mine on the showroom floor. The worst that could happen is you decide years later you don't want a Springer, then you would simply have a Heritage or Fat Boy front end installed.....although, I doubt you'd actually do that . It's such a cool bike, and is a head-turner in every crowd and setting.
I'm going to second what mah man Jaburg has touched on here. I didn't want Slim owners to feel like I was downing that model. Fact is, I like the Slim quite a bit.

My Crossbones is my first and only Harley. I've ridden plenty others including an Electra Glide Ultra Limited, a Rocker C and a Sporty. Although any of those models can offer me something that my Crossbones can not, overall none ever gave me the overall feel the I get from what to me is such a timeless design as the Springers. To date, I have no intentions of getting rid of it and despite the release of such great models as the Slim and the Breakout, Harley has yet to line up something that come close to making me feel like I need another motorcycle. Maybe that just means my tastes are very narrow.

I hear you on the tuning thing and temperatures as it pertains to my initial comments comparing my experience with a 103 and my stock 96. Like you, I want to avoid making this discussion about tuning. The only thing I want to point out about this topic is that I am making comparisons between two STOCK bikes and how the feel off the showroom floor and not after all manner of time and money has been sunk into them by the end user. I realize that this point may not seem so relevant since you can't get a new Crossbones anymore. But I thought it was fair to make the comparisons based more on stock models than on examples that have been heavily modified. In the instance that I referenced when comparing my friend's 103 to my stock 96, both bikes were stock and had factory tuning.

This brings me to another point when comparing the Crossbones and the Slim in stock form. The Slim is going to sit you a lot lower due to the seat style. The stock Crossbones seat is very thickly padded and sits on 3 inch springs meaning that it can be a ways off the ground for a lot of folks. Both bikes share the same rear suspension so most people who have an issue with the stock height of the Bones tend to change out the seat. In my case (I'm 5'9"), the Bones felt a bit tall by just a smidge. I could ride it just fine in stock form but thought I could do with a bit more reach to the ground. Since I didn't want to lose the appeal of the sprung seat I and needed minimal reach, I opted to just swap out the seat for the 1925 solo saddle which has a lot less padding. It is still quite comfortable but that 1 inch or so was plenty of increased reach to the ground for me and have not felt the need to try and lower my seat height beyond that.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:20 PM
hamr56
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From my point of view after having rode both of them in stock form they each offered something different for the rider. I liked the handle bars on the Crossbones better than the Slim's hollywood style bars. However I did not like the seat height of the Crossbones versus the Slim. The Slim seating position made me feel like I was sitting in the bike, whereas the seating position on the Bones made me feel like I was sitting above the bike. Riding the two bikes back to back I was able to feel the difference in the two motors. While not rip of your face noticeable, I could tell I was on a bike with a 103.

Whichever way you go you will have a great bike. Best of luck in your search!

Old 02-27-2015, 01:09 PM
Grizzwood
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There's some good advice posted on this thread. To me, the CrossBones is the neatest and funnest bike HD has made in a long time, notwithstanding Sportsters and the niche they fill. My brother and I both have 2009 X-Bones and love them. We both installed narrow beach bars for easy riding, and he put a pillion seat on his. I mostly ride country roads and on some rather less-than smooth surfaces and the Bones handles the dips and valleys beautifully. My bike is still stock with motor, air filter, and pipes, and I've been putting off doing a Stage 1 upgrade simply because I love the exhaust sound as-is and torque is powerful enough for my riding.

I am 5'10" and the higher seat on the Bones puts me in a retro-1930s style riding position, i.e., higher than other Softtails, but I actually enjoy that setup. I knew one guy who was around 5'6" and he was on his toes with the stock seat on his Bones, which looked kind of awkward at stops, and was probably challenging at stop signs on inclines. Just an fyi.

Last edited by Grizzwood; 02-27-2015 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:27 PM
FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
NOT A MODERATOR
Received 20,398 Likes on 7,990 Posts

I'll never own any Harley but a springer....nuff said.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:50 PM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
I'm going to second what mah man Jaburg has touched on here. I didn't want Slim owners to feel like I was downing that model. Fact is, I like the Slim quite a bit.

My Crossbones is my first and only Harley. I've ridden plenty others including an Electra Glide Ultra Limited, a Rocker C and a Sporty. Although any of those models can offer me something that my Crossbones can not, overall none ever gave me the overall feel the I get from what to me is such a timeless design as the Springers. To date, I have no intentions of getting rid of it and despite the release of such great models as the Slim and the Breakout, Harley has yet to line up something that come close to making me feel like I need another motorcycle. Maybe that just means my tastes are very narrow.

I hear you on the tuning thing and temperatures as it pertains to my initial comments comparing my experience with a 103 and my stock 96. Like you, I want to avoid making this discussion about tuning. The only thing I want to point out about this topic is that I am making comparisons between two STOCK bikes and how the feel off the showroom floor and not after all manner of time and money has been sunk into them by the end user. I realize that this point may not seem so relevant since you can't get a new Crossbones anymore. But I thought it was fair to make the comparisons based more on stock models than on examples that have been heavily modified. In the instance that I referenced when comparing my friend's 103 to my stock 96, both bikes were stock and had factory tuning.

This brings me to another point when comparing the Crossbones and the Slim in stock form. The Slim is going to sit you a lot lower due to the seat style. The stock Crossbones seat is very thickly padded and sits on 3 inch springs meaning that it can be a ways off the ground for a lot of folks. Both bikes share the same rear suspension so most people who have an issue with the stock height of the Bones tend to change out the seat. In my case (I'm 5'9"), the Bones felt a bit tall by just a smidge. I could ride it just fine in stock form but thought I could do with a bit more reach to the ground. Since I didn't want to lose the appeal of the sprung seat I and needed minimal reach, I opted to just swap out the seat for the 1925 solo saddle which has a lot less padding. It is still quite comfortable but that 1 inch or so was plenty of increased reach to the ground for me and have not felt the need to try and lower my seat height beyond that.
I hear you brother, and I agree 100% on the tuning deal. I got it clear you meant stock bike vs stock bike was just throwing my $0.02 out. I think the 103 makes a little more difference on the heavier touring bikes especially if running two up. Nothing wrong with the 96, they run good with s old tune/stage 1 and a cam to match the riding style of the owner. Anyways can always get work done or get a bigger motor

Thanks for all of your input.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:18 PM
rockerz
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can't go wrong with a springer.

In my opinion after test riding a street glide one day I found my Bones was a lot smoother ride.

Can't go wrong with either choice, but I would nudge you towards the Cross Bones.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:37 PM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rockerz
Can't go wrong with a springer.

In my opinion after test riding a street glide one day I found my Bones was a lot smoother ride.

Can't go wrong with either choice, but I would nudge you towards the Cross Bones.
Glad you chimed in I can't stop looking at our bike. Never seen a raked crossbones with a 23 before, sick bike. I am leaning towards the crossbones as I have always wanted one and never owned but always wanted a springer. It will be a while before I buy but the bones is in the lead as it will be easier to get the old school look I am after as a final result.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:14 PM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts

My opinion maybe based on price of aquired looks. Softails can be changed to look like just about anything but the high dollar parts are what slow down progress. some people buy a slim but want a fatter tire. Wide tire kits are not cheap so i find it better to buy a bike with The desired tire width. Same goes for the front, spring front ends are not a cheap swap so if that is the look that you want than i would suggest the cross bones. Tins and paint are not cheap but you can get those changed out for cheaper than chaning the front end or tire width of a bike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: X- Bones VS Softail Slim?