Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X- Bones VS Softail Slim?

Old 02-26-2015, 04:00 PM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default X- Bones VS Softail Slim?

Been away from my bikes for a while and not ready to buy yet but just doing some research.

Can anyone tell me, aside from the springer style front end what the difference is between the X-Bones and a Softball Slim?

Thanks
FM

Old 02-26-2015, 04:33 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

The slim has a smaller rear wheel at 140mm vs the xbones 200mm rear. The slim also has a 103 ci engine vs the xbones 96 ci. Since the slim is still in production you also get them with abs and the new better braking system.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:36 PM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior

Thanks for the info. When the time comes will be a tough decision as I like both bikes, and the X-Bones seem to be selling for within a grand or two of what the slims cost new..........

Sorry for the new questions, but I'm more versed in the baggers than the other lines of the HD bikes.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:31 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Fire-Medic
I like both bikes, and the X-Bones seem to be selling for within a grand or two of what the slims cost new..........
That's because Springers tend to retain quite a bit of their value and the Crossbones being the latest iteration is going to have the most updated platform. That said, you should get the one you like because you like it and not worry about whether or not it has a better resale value than than something else.

Slims are beautiful bikes but Springers are rather unique. Springers do require a bit more love in the area of maintenance but honestly it's a lot more negligible than most people who don't own them assume it to be. Similarly, a lot of folks (most of whom have never owned a springer) say they wouldn't get one because they hear that Springers ride poorly. I believe nothing is further from the truth. Mine is a daily rider of over 160 miles a day and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I've even had two different motorcycle cops tell me that in their opinion, Springers are their favorite models for comfort and NOT the Road Kings that they have to operate on.

You can't get a stock Crossbones with anything bigger than a 96ci twin cam. However, about two years after I got my Bones, a buddy of mine got a Harley with a 103 and insisted that I test ride it one afternoon when I had to run out on an errand. I am sure that if I went back and forth between the two bikes numerous times I might be able to discern some difference. However, I can't say that I felt like I was missing anything by not having the 103. On these heavy sleds, the advantages of the bigger motor felt rather negligible. The two differences that I did detect between his scoot and mine is that his felt like it put out WAY more heat and he had to stop for gas a lot sooner than I did whenever we were out and about.

Honestly, I think they share enough in terms of aesthetics that I can't image you could go wrong either way.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:36 PM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
That's because Springers tend to retain quite a bit of their value and the Crossbones being the latest iteration is going to have the most updated platform. That said, you should get the one you like because you like it and not worry about whether or not it has a better resale value than than something else.

Slims are beautiful bikes but Springers are rather unique. Springers do require a bit more love in the area of maintenance but honestly it's a lot more negligible than most people who don't own them assume it to be. Similarly, a lot of folks (most of whom have never owned a springer) say they wouldn't get one because they hear that Springers ride poorly. I believe nothing is further from the truth. Mine is a daily rider of over 160 miles a day and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I've even had two different motorcycle cops tell me that in their opinion, Springers are their favorite models for comfort and NOT the Road Kings that they have to operate on.

You can't get a stock Crossbones with anything bigger than a 96ci twin cam. However, about two years after I got my Bones, a buddy of mine got a Harley with a 103 and insisted that I test ride it one afternoon when I had to run out on an errand. I am sure that if I went back and forth between the two bikes numerous times I might be able to discern some difference. However, I can't say that I felt like I was missing anything by not having the 103. On these heavy sleds, the advantages of the bigger motor felt rather negligible. The two differences that I did detect between his scoot and mine is that his felt like it put out WAY more heat and he had to stop for gas a lot sooner than I did whenever we were out and about.

Honestly, I think they share enough in terms of aesthetics that I can't image you could go wrong either way.
Thanks brother, I appreciate the input. I have owned my share of HD bikes in the last six years or so: 883 Sporty, 1200 Sporty, RK Classic, Ultra Limited, Road Glide Ultra, and CVO Road Glide Custom.

The best fit for me was honestly my 1200 Classic sporty, I liked the "in the bike feel" more than the rest of the Touring bikes where you're more on top of the bike like a scooter. For handling I loved the RK too, and the RG was nicer to me than the batwing bikes because with the frame mounted fairing it handled like a heavier road king. That sporty with the forward controls was just right for me, and the only reason I didn't keep that bike was because the cross winds would throw me all over the road here in flat FL. Many windy days where I had to stay off the freeway on full day rides and that sucked. Figured a softball with forward controls would be like this but not get blown all over and I like the bobber look of both bikes.

Finances ain't what they use to be, and whatever I get (maybe end of this year beginning of next) will be it for some time. It will mainly be a solo bike so not worried about passenger comfort. I have always wanted a bike with a springer front so that and the 200 rear appeal to me on the X-Bones, but I do like the green Slim.

I will agree with you on the motor, I went from a 96 KC to bikes with a 103 and not much of a difference, but on the 110 of my CVO RGC the torque was just awesome. I put the miles on that CVO got over 10K in less than a year, but it's been a while for me. I like the ability to have a removable windshield on these soft tails like the RKC I had.

Appreciate the input, we will see what happens when the time comes. I appreciate anyones input on the comparison between these two bikes.

What all is involved on the maintenance of the springer front ends? I wrench on my own bikes so this is of interest to me.......

Thanks
FM

Last edited by Fire-Medic; 02-26-2015 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:17 AM
brockND
Cruiser

[QUOTE=Fire-Medic;13750326
What all is involved on the maintenance of the springer front ends? I wrench on my own bikes so this is of interest to me.......
FM[/QUOTE]

I have never owned a springer but i have always admired them. Just from me living on this forum i have read that you are suppose to check torque on everything every 2500 miles. Have also read that if you dont keep up on it it can get spendy to fix($1000+). from what i understand if you keep up with grease and checking torque there shouldnt be much to replace until high mileage.

Disclaimer* I have never owned one nor worked on one. haha. i just like them and read about them quite frequently.

I do love my slim but i am not impressed with the 103. Hoping the exhaust, ac, and tuner i have laying here do something noticable to it or next winter is going to be expensive for upgrades.

Last edited by brockND; 02-27-2015 at 12:22 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:00 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Fire-Medic
There are two specific maintenance requirements to the springer than there are unique from other Softails. Both pertain to the front end (forks).

The first...and probably the one the scares most people because of the frequency of it...is having to check the fall away on the forks and possibly adjust the neck bearing. Every Softail requires this maintenance but Springers require it twice as often at every 2500 miles. If you are someone who doesn't wrench and has to take your scoot into the shop for everything I can imagine why they'd be put off by this. However, since you say that you do your own wrenching (as I do) then this is a non-issue. Once you understand the procedure it can be done within 45 minutes at most and the only specialty tools you need is a special socket that has three prongs which you use with any ratcheting wrench to tighten or loosen the neck bearing adjuster. Make sure the neck bearings are properly greased and you're good to go.

The second item is the need to check and possibly adjust the tension on the rocker bearings down by the wheels. This item only has to be checked every 10k miles and it is easy to roll into any standard maintenance schedule or you can even have it done when getting a new tire or what not. In other words, the likelihood that your Springer is going to be hurt (or that the bearing tension is out of spec for that matter) is not very high and as long as you check it within a certain time hovering around the 10k mark you should be fine. The same is true for the neck bearings as described above. Plenty of techs have reassured me that as long as I do the checks within a reasonable time frame of the mileage that they are due then I should be okay.

That's it. Everything else about the Springer front end is rather maintenance free. At least from an operational stand point. I do find that keeping the front springs nice and shiny can be a bit of work, especially if like me you ride often and regardless of the weather. It's very easy for surface rust to start creeping in and if left untreated it can start to work away at the chrome. I find that I have to give those springs a little more love than I do the rest of the bike. I make sure that I clean them regularly all the way around and I keep them treated with S100 corrosion prevention which is an amazing product and one I'd highly recommend to anyone for use on their motorcycle.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:31 AM
Jaburg1
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

To me, nothing says Harley Davidson more than a Springer. The Crossbones could very well be the last Springer made by HD, and it's the most updated and modern version of this classic design. I have always loved the looks of a Springer. The fact that mine is a 2011, the last year they were made, makes it all the more appealing. I'll stick my neck out and recommend the Crossbones over the Slim. The Springer is one of those bikes that will always have a loyal following, and one of those styles that you may always regret never having owned. That's how it would've played out for me, and I'm glad I saw mine on the showroom floor. The worst that could happen is you decide years later you don't want a Springer, then you would simply have a Heritage or Fat Boy front end installed.....although, I doubt you'd actually do that . It's such a cool bike, and is a head-turner in every crowd and setting.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:01 AM
Steve635
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with you Firemedic, these are my favorite models as well. I went with the Slim as it was readily available (and I couldn't pull myself off of it at the dealer), but what would be amazing would be a Slim Springer special edition.
I'd buy one!

Old 02-27-2015, 09:28 AM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

. . . and some 'bones has the primo tombstone taillight.

edit: then again I might be having a senior moment and thinking of another springer model?

Last edited by mmcbeat; 02-27-2015 at 09:37 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: X- Bones VS Softail Slim?