Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropped tins off for paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 06:15 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hold yer horses men!!

Rear fender still looked like ****. The clear keeps pooling at the very edge of the fender so it looks like there is a lip on the edge of the fender where I chopped it.

I was so annoyed when I showed up today and saw that they still didn't get it right.

I bit my tongue this time and managed to stay calm. I got the owner involved in the process so hopefully that'll get it done. I'm gonna check in with then at the end of this weekend and see what the progress is.

Better news, they did manage to fix the front fender so that's mounted on the bike.

Let's hope third time is the charm with these bozos.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:50 PM
Pigbacon
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alain
Hold yer horses men!!

Rear fender still looked like ****. The clear keeps pooling at the very edge of the fender so it looks like there is a lip on the edge of the fender where I chopped it.

I was so annoyed when I showed up today and saw that they still didn't get it right.

I bit my tongue this time and managed to stay calm. I got the owner involved in the process so hopefully that'll get it done. I'm gonna check in with then at the end of this weekend and see what the progress is.

Better news, they did manage to fix the front fender so that's mounted on the bike.

Let's hope third time is the charm with these bozos.

Where's the pic of the front? That silver looks amazing. My favorite color for autos is silver with chrome. Can't wait to see yours finished.

Picked Pearl White for my Breakout..... have no idea why. It gets sprayed this week.

Last edited by Pigbacon; 03-30-2015 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:22 PM
Jim Davis
Intermediate
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

This "pooling" is called roping and does happen on edges, if it's excessive it's because they are applying too much paint/clearcoat.

Are they applying several coats of clearcoat after basecoat? If there is enough clearcoat at the edge it can be sanded flush and polish with the rest of the fender.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:37 PM
jtaliani
Cruiser

That sucks you're still dealing with this. I guess you're at least one piece closer and it's looking great in pics so far.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:02 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pigbacon
Where's the pic of the front? That silver looks amazing. My favorite color for autos is silver with chrome. Can't wait to see yours finished.

Picked Pearl White for my Breakout..... have no idea why. It gets sprayed this week.
I have the tank off the bike right now. I'm gonna be putting it back on tomorrow. I'll hit you guys up with a teaser pic tomorrow. I don't wanna give too much of it away before it's fully assembled.

Originally Posted by Jim Davis
This "pooling" is called roping and does happen on edges, if it's excessive it's because they are applying too much paint/clearcoat.

Are they applying several coats of clearcoat after basecoat? If there is enough clearcoat at the edge it can be sanded flush and polish with the rest of the fender.
Yes they are applying several coats of clear coat. According to the owner that is so that they can wet sand it (or something like that). The owner was trying to explain to me but I wasn't really listening. I was too distracted trying not to split the dude's wig for making me come down there when the fender still looked like that.

They're only charging me $700 for the entire job, including them providing the paint. I think they kind of threw me a bone cause my buddy is friends with the owner. But although I'm paying only $700 they should still put the effort into making it look right.

I know right now I'm suffering from the "you get what you pay for syndrome". But I'm not taking that fender home till they get it right.

Originally Posted by jtaliani
That sucks you're still dealing with this. I guess you're at least one piece closer and it's looking great in pics so far.
That's the attitude I'm trying to keep man. At least I got the front fender. It looks amazing mounted on the bike. It brings out the front spoiler really well.

My anticipation to see it finished is overriding the anger I felt when they screwed up the fender a second time lolol. Helped me keep my cool.

Stick with me fellers. Almost there.

EDIT: I don't think I posted this pic here on this thread for you guys that have stuck with me through this project. I'll give you guys this one and no more till its done. Hahaha.

Don't wanna give it away till she is ready.
As you can see here I went with the DK air cleaner and breather set up (no more dirty air back into my heads). I got the RSD cam cover, DK's footpegs (passenger legs as well). You can't see it in this picture but on the other side I have the speedo relocated to the gas tank mount, the dash is smooth and the PM transmission cover under the oil tank is on too.

The bar end mirrors and the dual Fatbob headlight are two of my favorite aspects of the entire bike.

Enjoy !

Attached Thumbnails Dropped tins off for paint-image.jpg  

Last edited by Alain; 03-30-2015 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:53 AM
jtaliani
Cruiser

That is coming together really well! Looks clean and mean!

Old 03-31-2015, 01:29 PM
Hawaii-Five-Jo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Lookin' good bro!

Old 03-31-2015, 04:20 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jtaliani
That is coming together really well! Looks clean and mean!
Thanks man. Mean is a good way to put it.
Originally Posted by Hawaii-Five-Jo
Lookin' good bro!
Thanks Jojo. Hope you made out good with the part numbers is sent you.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:24 PM
professorzoogy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good combination of mods ..... looks aces !

Old 03-31-2015, 05:49 PM
rockerz
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks good.

Here's hoping your fender is good after the 3rd attempt.

Quick Reply: Dropped tins off for paint