Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I deserve ridcule

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 11:31 AM
professorzoogy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

.....underneath the voltage reg ( finned thingy on the front of the lower portion of the frame ) there is a plastic cover .....pop it open .....in there contains the front o2 sensor plug as well as some other conectors . the second o2 sensor is tucked away under the oil tank .....you can access the connector via the battery box......pull out the battery and it will be easy to get to the connector .

Old 03-01-2015, 11:47 AM
Gibler77
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by professorzoogy
.....underneath the voltage reg ( finned thingy on the front of the lower portion of the frame ) there is a plastic cover .....pop it open .....in there contains the front o2 sensor plug as well as some other conectors . the second o2 sensor is tucked away under the oil tank .....you can access the connector via the battery box......pull out the battery and it will be easy to get to the connector .
Thanks for the road map. Found and disconnected in under a minute.

Now onto removing the old exhaust gaskets and then draining the trans. I may take a lunch break afterwards and give my mind a breather.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:06 PM
Daddy454
Road Master
Received 316 Likes on 144 Posts

You may be past this already,but when I did mine,I didn't even pull the pipes.Just undo the head end nuts,and pull them out far enough to get the clutch cable cover off.Just take your time and be diligent.All the stuff you mentioned is a days worth of work at most.Just tackle one piece at a time,and keep moving.......and don't drink too much til your done.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:10 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibler77
How many times do I have to venture into a project, only to find that I have absolutely NO technical aptitude?

The plan was to install new bars before Daytona, but what I'm left with just a week away is a shell of a bike with no earthly idea how I'm going to put it back together. The new bars are on, wired, and all controls are mounted. The tank is off, the air intake is removed, and the brake, idle, and throttle cables are off, but I'm still working to get the exhaust off so I can remove the clutch cable. I'm held up now finding the connectors to the O2 sensors.

I've been searching for someone local who can assist me, or at least supervise and point out when I'm about to do something catastrophic, though, I haven't found any takers. Taking it somewhere is no longer an option, as I don't have access to a trailer. Anybody in the Augusta, GA area?

I'm ready for the shaming...
The first thing that came to mind when reading your post was "he doesn't have an HD service manual".

I think with an HD service manual you'd mange on your own.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:27 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,537 Likes on 3,054 Posts

Originally Posted by 1004ron
The first thing that came to mind when reading your post was "he doesn't have an HD service manual".

I think with an HD service manual you'd mange on your own.
That was mandatory a few years back. Now you can use that or study some of the excellent tutorials you can find online too. (before you tear it apart! )

Old 03-01-2015, 12:55 PM
Piloto
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 18,460 Likes on 5,663 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibler77
I deserve ridcule
I thought this was going to be another... Look at the 21"+ front wheel I just out on...

JK. Sorry for your mess. Most of us have been there at one point. It's all part of the learning curve. Have a cold one, re-group, and get 'er done. Worst case, trailer it to a local Indy. I'm sure he will give you a few good laughs for an extra $20.

I'm with the guy that mentioned eight hours of work for what a trained mechanic could do in an hour... That's me, but I still have fun with it.

Good luck!!! Sh*t happens...

Old 03-01-2015, 01:07 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,549 Posts

Take your time, do it right, and more than likely it will all fall in place and you'll feel great about it. I'm probably a sic puppy, but I enjoy the working on the bikes as much as the riding. I have actually finished projects/bikes and just sat back and looked at them for an hour. It's not a fake TV show, so no Deadlines. Pretty sure Daytona will be there next year or whenever you are ready, and the way I see it there's always a reason. Chill and Enjoy the journey.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:32 PM
Gibler77
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Again, thanks to everyone who shared wisdom with me today. It was a slow moving morning/afternoon, but it was one with little frustration. Exhaust completely removed, gaskets out, and transmission fluid drained.

Was planning to remove the clutch cable, but I'm gonna quit while I'm ahead and calm. I've got 6+ days to get the new cables on and get her put back together, so I think I'm in okay shape. Of course, I'm hoping to finish up mid week so I can have time to troubleshoot and even take it by a shop for a quick look before heading out to Daytona.