Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about a Deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 11:38 AM
RandyL
Road Captain
Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Questions about a Deluxe

I ordered a 2015 Deluxe. Until it comes in I will still be riding my super glide. super glide i hated from day 1, worst handling bike i ever rode.

questions are, how does a deluxe handle?

besides exhaust, air cleaner and a tuner, anything else i should be looking for?

thanks

Old 03-02-2015, 11:59 AM
kizzletruck
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyL
I ordered a 2015 Deluxe. Until it comes in I will still be riding my super glide. super glide i hated from day 1, worst handling bike i ever rode.

besides exhaust, air cleaner and a tuner, anything else i should be looking for?

thanks
I'll be honest - I have only ridden my Deluxe about 75 feet since I bought it. From the trailer to the garage... But I love the bike. I rented a Heritage last year for a weekend and loved that ride.

"Is there anything else I should be looking for?" Boy, oh boy... You better not snoop around too much on this forum unless you want to open your wallet!

Lot's of good guys here that love suggesting how others should spend their money. Lol! Welcome to the softer side.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:35 PM
RandyL
Road Captain

Yea, I know about the open wallet. This will be my 4th Harley. The only mods I ever did was bags and windshield on the super glide. The Deluxe is the first bike that I feel I am going to keep long term so doing mods on this bike I wont mind investing some $$$ . A little at a time, refill the wallet then another mod.

Last edited by RandyL; 03-02-2015 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:37 PM
RandyL
Road Captain

Yea, I know about the open wallet. This will be my 4th Harley. The only mods I ever did was bags and windshield on the super glide. The Deluxe is the first bike that I feel I am going to keep long term so doing mods on this bike I wont mind investing some $$$ . A little at a time, refill the wallet then another mod.

Duplicate post..sorry

Last edited by RandyL; 03-02-2015 at 12:39 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 03-02-2015, 12:38 PM
ramblin5
Road Master

Received 217 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyL

thanks
You bought it without knowing how it handles?

Old 03-02-2015, 12:41 PM
RandyL
Road Captain

Not under all conditions. Had a short test ride on a 2014 during the summer.Seemed fine.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:52 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Depends on your definition of "handling". If you define handling by the amount of lean angle a motorcycle has than the deluxe is one of the worst. If you define handling by how easy it is to maneuver at any speed then softails in general are some of the best handling for their weight period. I simply don't understand why anyone would spend close to 20 grand for motorcycles that they are not sure about. If you liked the handling when you test rode it why would you not like it now but I digress. Hope this helps.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:04 PM
RandyL
Road Captain

I am assuming that I will still like the way it handles now.
But, my ride on was was short.

By handling, I mean ease of keeping it in a straight line and maneuverability.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:59 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

I haven't ridden a SG, so I couldn't compare that to a Softtail. I can compare it to my Sportster and my Triumph Bonneville. Compared to those, the softtail is a wallowing pig in town and in tight twisties, especially riding two up. It can't just be pitched into a turn. But in broad curves and on the open road, it's awesome!

To Summarize, if I'm riding solo up in the mountains on roads with tight turns, I'm on the Bonneville or Sportster. If I'm doing a road trip with a passenger that doesn't involve tight hairpin turns, the softtail is the one! Thing rides like a Cadillac

Old 03-02-2015, 04:22 PM
RandyL
Road Captain

Mike, thank you for that info, thats what I was looking for.

Quick Reply: Questions about a Deluxe