Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutting Vance and Hines?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 02:31 PM
Daddy454
Road Master
Received 316 Likes on 144 Posts
Default Cutting Vance and Hines?

How hard would it be?Anybody here done it?I want to wrap these pipes,but I'd like to make them just a little shorter-not Short Shots shorter,just a couple inches past the passenger pegs.Any ideas,thoughts?Would like to keep the tips,and maybe powder those black.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:43 PM
IrIeSpringer420
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would like to know this as well. i really dont see what it would hurt but you never know

Old 03-02-2015, 02:51 PM
jcsshane
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Daddy454
How hard would it be?Anybody here done it?I want to wrap these pipes,but I'd like to make them just a little shorter-not Short Shots shorter,just a couple inches past the passenger pegs.Any ideas,thoughts?Would like to keep the tips,and maybe powder those black.

Where do they mount?

Old 03-02-2015, 03:00 PM
wideopen4life
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you plan to remove the baffles It shouldn't be that difficult to cut. If you intend to reuse heat shields the exhaust tips will no longer screw into the pipes.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:11 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Been there done that. I once shortened a set of Long Shots and ran them wrapped with thermal exhaust tape. Easy project.

Remove the pipes from the bike. Remove the Heat Shields and Exhaust Tips. Mark where you want the cut. Try to find a larger diameter pipe and slip it over the end of the exhaust to use as a cutting guide. This will aid in achieving a square cut. Use a file to clean any burs from the cut.

If you plan to reinstall the exhaust tips, you'll have to drill holes for the attachment screws. Note: Vance and Hines manufactures the end of the exhaust tips to be level with the heat shields. If you mount the tips without the shields, there will be a height difference, however if you wrap the pipes all the way to the tips this outside diameter difference will not be visible.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:14 PM
Daddy454
Road Master

Originally Posted by jcsshane
Where do they mount?
You can see the 2little bolts right below the rear footpegs,that's the mount bracket.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:16 PM
Daddy454
Road Master

Originally Posted by wideopen4life
If you plan to remove the baffles It shouldn't be that difficult to cut. If you intend to reuse heat shields the exhaust tips will no longer screw into the pipes.
Baffles are out.Could I not re-drill/tap for the tips?

Old 03-02-2015, 03:19 PM
Daddy454
Road Master

Originally Posted by olongapo1
Been there done that. I once shortened a set of Long Shots and ran them wrapped with thermal exhaust tape. Easy project.

Remove the pipes from the bike. Remove the Heat Shields and Exhaust Tips. Mark where you want the cut. Try to find a larger diameter pipe and slip it over the end of the exhaust to use as a cutting guide. This will aid in achieving a square cut. Use a file to clean any burs from the cut.

If you plan to reinstall the exhaust tips, you'll have to drill holes for the attachment screws. Note: Vance and Hines manufactures the end of the exhaust tips to be level with the heat shields. If you mount the tips without the shields, there will be a height difference, however if you wrap the pipes all the way to the tips this outside diameter difference will not be visible.
Good call on the larger pipe for a square cut.....didn't think of that.Did you cut and re-use your heat shields?I kinda wanted a fatter look to the pipes,and was gonna wrap them too.Anybody know how big the pipes are w/o the shields?

Old 03-02-2015, 05:22 PM
wideopen4life
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Daddy454
Baffles are out.Could I not re-drill/tap for the tips?
Yes you should be able to. The rear section of the exhaust is a little wider than the rest, I had mine right at 2 1/4".

Old 03-02-2015, 06:49 PM
Wrenchy
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Came into this thread thinking "WOW, what an idiot!" ..... can say I'm 1000% wrong and interested now and want to see after pics, and hear if it sounds any different.

Quick Reply: Cutting Vance and Hines?