Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Follow-up on Breakout tire pressure experiment & Pirelli Diablo threads

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 12:00 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
I'm on the hunt for a trailer as well- although it will be open / flatbed type. Dirt bikes, street bikes, home depot crap, etc. ;p

For a small generator, you cannot get anything better than one of the Honda or Yamaha units. Period. Yeh they are spendy but worth every penny. Plus there are conversion kits avail so you can run them off a BBQ propane tank instead of gas (see www.uscarb.com for kits). I have a Yamaha EF2800i, it will run for 24hrs at half load on a typical BBQ tank, the genny is lighter to carry without gasoline in it, and of course, no stinky gasoline smell or extra gas cans to haul. Plus you can use the propane tank for both cooking AND genny.

When selecting a generator, the smallest one that will handle peak loads is the best bet. Most folks over buy on the generator thinking more power is better- but smaller means more fuel efficient and less noise. So gather all of your electrical needs first (AC unit etc), calculate your estimated wattage draw and then pick the generator. I use the Yamaha for everything from camping to emergency power backup at home (the propane kit will also let you run it from natural gas). If I was doing a camping only generator I'd get a smaller 1200w to 1500w unit, probably a Honda.

I will reiterate, only get a Honda or Yamaha if you want reliable, quiet and efficient, and lighter weight. End of story. There is a valid reason they cost more and it does pay off.
Yes, I totally agree! To be more specific, you have to specify, for either the Honda or Yamaha, that it be the "inverter" type, and that it have the "quiet" features.

The Yamaha 2400 seems to be a particularly good unit, as it is able to handle much higher "startup" loads than the Honda EU2000i and almost as much as the Honda 3000. But, I have been finding on the RV forums that apparently a Honda EU2000i will successfully power a Coleman Mach 1 PS (Mach 1 specifies 11000 BUT and PS specifies "power saving"). The Mach 1 only draws about 10 or 11 amps under "desert conditions" and has a starting surge of "only" about 45 amps, which the Honda EU2000i can apparently handle.

The Hond EU2000i is less powerful than the Yamaha 2400 on both running and starting capacity, BUT it is readily purchasable for $999 versus $1335 for the Yamaha. It also weighs 46 lb versus about 72 lb. It is also possible to parallel two identical EU2000i generators with a special power cable connector, and that is actually a pretty slick setup, as the 2 gens weigh only 92 lb total and cost only $2000 total, while providing 4000 running watts and a very high starting load capacity.

The biggest weakness on these small portable generators is that you have to change the oil every 100 hours, which could come pretty frequently on an extended road trip. But, they are very quiet (53 to 59 db) and pretty decent on fuel usage.

Jim G

Jim thought you might like this as well: http://www.avonmoto.com/download/Tir...lines_2012.pdf
Yes, I like that a lot too! Thank-you. The front tire psi recommendations match my findings with the stock Dunlop front tire pretty well: I have found that 38 psi cold gives the ideal temp/psi rise when hot.

Jim G

Jim- did you take a look at the Pirelli Night Dragon front, 120/70-21? weight seems to be about 8lbs vs Avon AV71 10lbs, and might match up better with the Diablo rear. Thoughts?

Amazon.com: Pirelli Night Dragon Tire 120/70-21 F: Automotive
That looks VERY interesting. I am suspicious though that the 8 lb is an error, as that seems very light. If true though, it would make the front end particularly quick in its handling. I'd like that! I will do some more Googling to see if I can get the weight verified. And like you say, it might be a better "match" for the Pirelli rear.

Jim G

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 03-29-2015 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:25 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
Yes, I totally agree! To be more specific, you have to specify, for either the Honda or Yamaha, that it be the "inverter" type, and that it have the "quiet" features.

The Yamaha 2400 seems to be a particularly good unit, as it is able to handle much higher "startup" loads than the Honda EU2000i and almost as much as the Honda 3000. But, I have been finding on the RV forums that apparently a Honda EU2000i will successfully power a Coleman Mach 1 PS (Mach 1 specifies 11000 BUT and PS specifies "power saving"). The Mach 1 only draws about 10 or 11 amps under "desert conditions" and has a starting surge of "only" about 45 amps, which the Honda EU2000i can apparently handle.

The Hond EU2000i is less powerful than the Yamaha 2400 on both running and starting capacity, BUT it is readily purchasable for $999 versus $1335 for the Yamaha. It also weighs 46 lb versus about 72 lb. It is also possible to parallel two identical EU2000i generators with a special power cable connector, and that is actually a pretty slick setup, as the 2 gens weigh only 92 lb total and cost only $2000 total, while providing 4000 running watts and a very high starting load capacity.

The biggest weakness on these small portable generators is that you have to change the oil every 100 hours, which could come pretty frequently on an extended road trip. But, they are very quiet (53 to 59 db) and pretty decent on fuel usage.

Jim G
You would be good to go with the EU2000 - a 2400 would be overkill and more if a PITA to move around. Consider looking into the propane conversion, you won't have to change the oil nearly as often and I think you'll be very pleased. plus- you can still run it on gasoline if needed -the kit does not eliminate gasoline, it simply adds option to use propane or NG. there is no downside and all upside.

That looks VERY interesting. I am suspicious though that the 8 lb is an error, as that seems very light. If true though, it would make the front end particularly quick in its handling. I'd like that! I will do some more Googling to see if I can get the weight verified. And like you say, it might be a better "match" for the Pirelli rear.

Jim G
LMK what you find- considering the weight of the Diablo 240, it doesn't seem too off base that the front would come in about half that. I watched a vid on the Diablo / Rosso tires and the front treads are designed to clear water away for the rear tread design- they are both similar in tread whereas the Avon is obviously different. Plus, with the Avon you have a snakeskin sidewall and that's going to look pretty different than the Pirelli Diablo sidewall.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 03-29-2015 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:30 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

You would be good to go with the EU2000 - a 2400 would be overkill and more if a PITA to move around. Consider looking into the propane conversion, you won't have to change the oil nearly as often and I think you'll be very pleased. plus- you can still run it on gasoline if needed -the kit does not eliminate gasoline, it simply adds option to use propane or NG. there is no downside and all upside.
I'll look into that too then! I'll need to get some idea of what size and type of propane tank to use, as my plan is to deploy the generator each evening on a road trip by placing it behind the left side of the rear axle on my F150 pickup, so that (a) it is away from the trailer for noise and fume reasons, and (b) it can be locked via 1" flex security cable to the left rear spring of the truck, and (c) it is sheltered from rain. Running the 10-3 RV power cord to that location is a cinch, but I need to explore what kind of propane supply tank and cable I could use.

Jim G

Old 03-24-2015, 12:31 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

..and go easy on the Googling, you can go blind.

I'll look into that too then! I'll need to get some idea of what size and type of propane tank to use, as my plan is to deploy the generator each evening on a road trip by placing it behind the left side of the rear axle on my F150 pickup, so that (a) it is away from the trailer for noise and fume reasons, and (b) it can be locked via 1" flex security cable to the left rear spring of the truck, and (c) it is sheltered from rain. Running the 10-3 RV power cord to that location is a cinch, but I need to explore what kind of propane supply tank and cable I could use.

Jim G

Just use the standard BBQ type of "blue Rhino" tank from home depot / lowes - that way you can do a quick exchange when needed. rack one or two of them on the trailer, run a typical BBQ regulator hose with length extension from tank to the genny. you may run into pressure issues if you go over 8 or 10ft of propane hose, both propane and natural gas require volume as well as pressure for operation. too long of a narrow hose restricts gas volume. I keep my propane hoses at 6ft.

the fumes from operating the genny on propane are minimal- it's just like a bbq or fire pit. that's five freaking stars right there!

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 03-29-2015 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:42 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

LMK what you find- considering the weight of the Diablo 240, it doesn't seem too off base that the front would come in about half that. I watched a vid on the Diablo / Rosso tires and the front treads are designed to clear water away for the rear tread design- they are both similar in tread whereas the Avon is obviously different. Plus, with the Avon you have a snakeskin sidewall and that's going to look pretty different than the Pirelli Diablo sidewall.
Turns out that per the Pirelli website, the Night Dragon is the tire recommended by Pirelli for the Breakout! And, the recommended tire psi = 2.5 atm = about 37.5 psi!

However, the Pirelli site, nor any other site, does not provide the weight! My usual source of detailed tire data, Dennis Kirk, does not show the tire, so it appears the only way to find out is to buy one and weight it on my Postal scale.

Given the Pirelli recommendation, this is the way to go. Should be even better than the Avon.

Jim G

Old 03-24-2015, 01:00 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Jim- I ran across some weight references on the Night Dragon 240 rear, it seems to be about 17-18 lbs

For wheel balancing I'd suggest Dyna Beads, 3oz in the rear and 2oz in the front. I've never gone back to wheel weights since using the beads.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:20 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

By the way, the Pirelli Night Dragon front tire has a HIGHER load rating than the stock Dunlop, DESPITE its 5 lb lighter weight! THAT says something about the quality of materials used.

Jim G

Old 03-24-2015, 01:31 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

OK so I just called and talked to Pirelli USA tire techs for about a half hour. Really nice folks. These are the facts as I received them:

240 rear Night Dragon tire weight = 17.82
120 front Night Dragon tire weight 11.62

These are sticky tires and not high mileage tires, and have a good domed apex profile (like the Diablo) for better turning (vs say the OE dunlop's with more of a flat apex profile). These are also reinforced tires and fully load rated for heavy, high-TQ bikes.

For the Diablo 240- While it is ok as far as weight rating, all techs clearly warned against using the Night Dragon 120 front with this tire because the tread patterns do not match up. The front tread pattern is important for clearing water away from the rear to prevent hydroplaning, and the Night Dragon rear works in conjunction with the front. The tread patterns are just too different between Diablo and Night Dragon. Similar issue with running a Diablo rear and Avon front. In short, there is no front tire that will work well with the Diablo rear for the BO.

We also talked about Metzler 888's, since Pirelli owns Metzler- they are not as sticky and are designed for higher mileage, so I'd rule them out for the BO.

That said, the two sane options seem to be:

#1 - Night Dragon front and rear, take the slight hit on rear weight but still less than Dunlop weight. Found them both for $327 shipped at https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com

#2 - Avon Cobra front and rear, definite weight penalty but far stickier and better handling (by far) than the OE dunlops. I love these tires on the Big Dog, but my rear is a 160/16. Cost is about $20-$30 less for the pair vs Pirelli - Best prices found on Amazon

Jim - concur or further thoughts?

Pirelli customer service and tech support - 800-747-3554 option #2, option #2

BTW, for tire balance beads, get the CERAMIC beads and NOT plastic or steel beads. This place on ebay has the good ones cheap, and they will throw in free filtered valve stem cores and red caps. http://www.ebay.com/itm/190820298294

You'll need:
2 oz or a front 120 or 130 21" tire
3 oz for a rear 240 18" tire

About $10 total.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 03-29-2015 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:18 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

OK so I just called and talked to Pirelli USA tire techs for about a half hour. Really nice folks. These are the facts as I received them:

240 rear Night Dragon tire weight = 17.82
120 front Night Dragon tire weight 11.62

These are sticky tires and not high mileage tires, and have a good domed apex profile (like the Diablo) for better turning (vs say the OE dunlop's with more of a flat apex profile). These are also reinforced tires and fully load rated for heavy, high-TQ bikes.

For the Diablo 240- While it is ok as far as weight rating, all techs clearly warned against using the Night Dragon 120 front with this tire because the tread patterns do not match up. The front tread pattern is important for clearing water away from the rear to prevent hydroplaning, and the Night Dragon rear works in conjunction with the front. The tread patterns are just too different between Diablo and Night Dragon. Similar issue with running a Diablo rear and Avon front. In short, there is no front tire that will work well with the Diablo rear for the BO.

We also talked about Metzler 888's, since Pirelli owns Metzler- they are not as sticky and are designed for higher mileage, so I'd rule them out for the BO.

That said, the two sane options seem to be:

#1 - Night Dragon front and rear, take the slight hit on rear weight but still less than Dunlop weight. Found them both for $327 shipped at https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com

#2 - Avon Cobra front and rear, definite weight penalty but far stickier and better handling (by far) than the OE dunlops. I love these tires on the Big Dog, but my rear is a 160/16. Cost is about $20-$30 less for the pair vs Pirelli - Best prices found on Amazon

Jim - concur or further thoughts?

Pirelli customer service and tech support - 800-747-3554 option #2, option #2
Given what Pirelli apparently told you, I guess I will go Night Dragons front and rear, as I want to minimize the weight penalty. I will likely need a front tire too by the time the rear Diablo needs replacing, so I'll do the pair at the same time to respect the Pirelli comments on rain channeling. That said, in its 5467 miles os far, my breakout has never yet seen rain, and now that I have the enclosed trailer coming, my touring / road trip model will be to use the trailer as the means of going BETWEEN scenic roads and areas, and getting the bike out to do the fun riding at each such area, in GOOD weather . . . but that could change I suppose.

After trial runs within Texas to test the concept, my first long road trip is likely to be to Tucson and Phoenix, and then up the Pacific Coast Highway to Sequim in Washington State, and back via the Rocky Mountains, savoring the best roads along the route! When I was working, I had more money but no time, and now in semi-retirement I have way more time but a lot less money, but the use of the trailer as a simplified RV takes the hotel costs out of the trip, and that was the biggest individual cost item in the whole idea. At today's gas price, I can do the whole 5500 mile dream trip for about $1200 even if the trailer drops my fuel mileage down to 12 mpg (6' wide x 6.5' high trailer with V-nose, and an F150 that gets 23 mpg at 60 without a trailer).

Jim G

BTW, for tire balance beads, get the CERAMIC beads and NOT plastic or steel beads. This place on ebay has the good ones cheap, and they will throw in free filtered valve stem cores and red caps. http://www.ebay.com/itm/190820298294

You'll need:
2 oz or a front 120 or 130 21" tire
3 oz for a rear 240 18" tire

About $10 total.
About the bead thing:

- Won't the beads over time "wear" either or both themselves and/or the inside of the wheel, since the wheel is turning at 400 to 900 rpm and bumping over road imperfections?

- Won't that eventually affect the ability of the beads to balance the wheel?

I mention this because a lot of ammunition reloaders are using steel beads to clean their cartridge cases in a power tumbler, but that is taking material off the brass cartridge cases and thus weakening them with time.

Jim G

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 03-29-2015 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:35 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

your road trip sounds like a blast- The ceramic dyna beads are the way to go if you don't want the ugly wheel weights. i have never seen any issue at all from using them- unless of course you do a "bone head" and fill tire with fix-a-flat.. lol

BTW don't know if you saw if but I posted the Pirelli tech support phone number in case you want to call and do more research (last page of this thread). I am going to order a set of Night Dragons, everything I've found seems to indicate two thumbs up over the OE dunlops.

Quick Reply: Follow-up on Breakout tire pressure experiment & Pirelli Diablo threads