Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Follow-up on Breakout tire pressure experiment & Pirelli Diablo threads

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 03:03 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Follow-up on Breakout tire pressure experiment & Pirelli Diablo threads

A few months ago, I published a couple of threads in which I tried a Pirelli Diablo rear tire, in stock 240 width, versus the stock Dunlop rear tire on my 2014 Breakout. I also changed the cold tire psi to 39 psi, based on the information and experimentation described in my earlier threads.

The objectives were to (a) improve the turn-in willingness and nimbleness of the bike, (b) hopefully also improve tire tread life, and (c) hopefully improve the tread wear pattern.

At 1900 miles since the tire change, the results so far seem to indicate fantastic improvement in turn-in willingness and nimbleness, but probably no meaningful difference in tread life. However, treat wear is far more even now when measured across the tire. With the Dunlop, and at the stock 41 psi, the centerline of the tread was wearing much faster than either side of the tread.

With 1900 miles on the bike since the change, I have continued to marvel at the improved handling and feel. It really transformed the bike, and there has been no deterioration on that improvement as the miles have built up on the tire. Sharp right hand turns from a dead stop are dramatically easier, and at speed, the nimbleness is on a different planet than the stock Dunlop.

Tread wear does not seem to have improved in any verifiable way. After 1900 miles, I have consumed about .08" of tread. Given the .2165" tread depth when new, and a .0625" absolute minimum depth before replacement is needed, I have consumed (.2165-.14)/(.2165-.0625) = 53% of the USABLE tread, so I can project that the tread will hit minimum at 1900/.53 = approximately 3600 miles.

However, the tread wear is MUCH more even now with the Pirelli Diablo at 39 psi, than with the Dunlop at 41 psi. The centerline is NOT wearing faster.

The Pirelli also has NEVER lost traction.

I am posting this so that other Breakout owners can consider the data and make their own conclusions.

I'm pretty happy about the tire swap.

Jim G

Old 03-10-2015, 05:58 PM
Stone Cliff
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Jim! I went to 35psi on my new Dunlop (250).. only a few hundred miles so far so can't really comment on the tire wear yet. The initial wear patterns is a lot wider though.... probably 3.5" versus 1.5" at 41psi

Old 03-11-2015, 04:00 AM
Todd1113
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I run 36 psi in the stock tire on my BO. Got almost 3k on it now and it doesn't really show any wear. Probably 500 miles of that 2 up.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:06 AM
gauravkachru
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The load rating for the Pirelli Diablo's are significantly lower than stock, are they not? Any thoughts on if that can be a problem basis your experience? Especially if you do ride two up at times.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:18 AM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by gauravkachru
The load rating for the Pirelli Diablo's are significantly lower than stock, are they not? Any thoughts on if that can be a problem basis your experience? Especially if you do ride two up at times.
NO! There are multiple variants of Pirelli tires that use "Diablo" in their name. I checked the load rating on the model I bought and it is identical to the Dunlop. ALWAYS check the load rating when considering a different tire.

Jim G

Old 03-11-2015, 09:40 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

I've been looking at the Diablos for my Triumph. As far as I can tell, the tread compound is softer, and reduced life is pretty much a given. Knowing that they have a shorter life in exchange for much improved handling....It's a trade-off. You just have to know that going in, I reckon.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:57 AM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Ive given in to the fact that these wide tires wear quickly. Sad but true.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:21 PM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 96 Posts

AFAIK and according to the info you get from Pirelli (website) the only 240/40 tire certified/cleared for the Breakout is the Night Dragon - btw a very good tire indeed. The Diablo tires, though being available at the same size, are certified/cleared for super bikes only and not for 'heavy' cruisers. Their weight, compound, tread pattern, shape etc. contribute to the characteristic use with these bikes. But of course I am not immune to fallacy...

Old 03-11-2015, 04:21 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by EagleRay
AFAIK and according to the info you get from Pirelli (website) the only 240/40 tire certified/cleared for the Breakout is the Night Dragon - btw a very good tire indeed. The Diablo tires, though being available at the same size, are certified/cleared for super bikes only and not for 'heavy' cruisers. Their weight, compound, tread pattern, shape etc. contribute to the characteristic use with these bikes. But of course I am not immune to fallacy...
If you look around, you will find the Diablo, and in the right load rating, etc. Pirelli emphasizes performance tires, which makes it harder, but it is worth it, as the tire is giving me great service.

Jim G

Old 03-23-2015, 08:52 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts

Hey Jim- Thanks for putting up the info I read both your threads.

So are you "sold" on the traction of this tire particularly under hard / sudden braking? The stock Dunlop breaks traction and locks up way too easy, and that is on dry warm pavement. So I'm looking for a stickier lighter tire- e.g. This Diablo, or the Shinko 005 - I'd rather get less miles and change tire more often, but have a safe ride, vs get more "scary" miles out of the tire. I have Avon Venom's on the Big Dog chopper and they do very well (160 rear / 120 front)- but their 240 seems heavy.

Only reason I'm hesitant on Pirelli is their sport auto tires SUCK. Bad. No traction. They are OE on 911's and that's the first thing to get swapped out for Michelins.

Originally Posted by EagleRay
I think Jim is covering the Diablo "Custom Wide" tire - which seems ok due to the heavy belt construction - it's designed for the custom builder market. Not the Rosso II which is purely a sport bike tire.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 03-29-2015 at 10:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Follow-up on Breakout tire pressure experiment & Pirelli Diablo threads