Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issue shifting through the gears on my 103

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 06:07 PM
cbaywolf
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Issue shifting through the gears on my 103

I've got a standard '14 Breakout. About 400 miles before my 5,000 service I started noticing that I was getting caught when shifting between 3rd/4th, and 4th/5th on occasion.

It feels like the shift lever is "floating" as opposed being ready to shift to the next higher hear- It feels like there is a lot of play on the shift peg, and it needs to be coaxed or "worked" to get it ready to upshift. And about 50% of the time in these gears, I have to hit it twice to get it to shift. I've found I can sort of "prime" my shift by pulling up lightly before I'm about to shift (before I depress the clutch lever) to get it ready to shift, but obviously I shouldn't have to do this.

I initially thought it might be that I needed my oil change since I was almost at 5K miles, but i've ridden it about 180 mile since my 5K service, and it is still persisting.

Any thoughts on what might cause this, and what I can do to fix it? It wasn't originally like this.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:41 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

They didnt notice at the service? Id just take it in and have them ride it.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:36 PM
jgos929
Road Warrior
Received 219 Likes on 87 Posts

Warranty

Old 03-15-2015, 08:54 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,857 Likes on 4,111 Posts

It's a new bike. Part of what you paid for is the warranty. Take it to the dealer and let them figure it out.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:56 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

I am assuming the primary fluid was changed at the service and issue was there before the service was performed. It is possible they your clutch basket needs a correct adjustment performed cold. I would also suggest you install Heim joints on your shift linkage, Make sure the clutch lever free play is correct at time of clutch adjustment. The self adjustment on the primary chain has gone too tight or possible compensator issue. I don't believe adjustments are covered under warranty, but I may be wrong. Are you running any grip covers or leather wrapped on clutch lever?

Last edited by checkers; 03-15-2015 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:55 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
It's a new bike. Part of what you paid for is the warranty. Take it to the dealer and let them figure it out.
yeah, that

Old 03-16-2015, 09:25 AM
cbaywolf
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by checkers
I am assuming the primary fluid was changed at the service and issue was there before the service was performed. It is possible they your clutch basket needs a correct adjustment performed cold. I would also suggest you install Heim joints on your shift linkage, Make sure the clutch lever free play is correct at time of clutch adjustment. The self adjustment on the primary chain has gone too tight or possible compensator issue. I don't believe adjustments are covered under warranty, but I may be wrong. Are you running any grip covers or leather wrapped on clutch lever?
Thanks for the feedback- as a slight back-story, I did have to have my clutch adjusted while I was at Delmarva Bike week last September- out of the blue, it just started lurching forward even with the clutch fully depressed. I had the onsite HD Dealer do the adjustment (which I did have to pay for)- and they resolved the issue, but then this cropped up shortly after that. It was happening a few hundred miles before my 5K service (and I told them to look into that)- but I didn't really emphasize it at the service time as they told me it probably just needed an oil change, and it would get worked out when they adjusted the clutch- but it still remains.

I never had anything on my clutch levers- and I just had them swap out my shift linkage at the 5K service, and it's persisted with the old and new linkage- but I don't know much about the heim joints- I'll look into it.

I guess I'm going to have to take it back in, but it's frustrating as it was just there, and I need to arrange for a ride to drop it off.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:33 AM
Clayvis
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like primary chain too loose/tight and or clutch out of adjustment. Let us know what you find out.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:56 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Definitely take it back to them and have them figure it out. Don't start messing with it yourself if you're not certain of what you're doing or looking into. You can screw something else up and they might deny any warranty work cause of it.

Good luck dude. Sucks that this is happening now when the riding season is about to start.