Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: Inner Fender Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 05:10 PM
Berick
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Help: Rear Inner Fender Removal

I purchased the HD Garage Door Opener and the instructions are brutal. Everything is "refer to service manual"..... I check the bloody service manual and there's absolutely no mention of the damn thing in the index.

2014 Fatboy Lo.... How do I take that plastic inner fender out? I'm supposed to mount the transmitter behind it. I found the one screw at the bottom of the plastic inner fender but how do I take it out? Does the bloody wheel need to come off this thing?

Old 03-28-2015, 05:18 PM
crazy4ink
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you look in the index for BCM removal, you should find instructions for removing the inner liner.

Taking the wheel off will make it easier but you can wiggle things around to make some working room. I'm doing this from memory, so I may be a little off.

Once you remove the screw at the bottom, you have to get the 2 plastic clips that are part of the inner fender to release. If I'm remembering correctly, you can pull down gently and get them to release. Once you do that, the inner liner should be free. The way it's shaped, it's a real bear to get out but you can do it. Big picture, it's a whole lot easier to remove the rear wheel and then the liner because once you get the liner off, there is a small tray with your BCM in it that will be in your way.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:24 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,858 Likes on 4,112 Posts

The inner fender is sometimes referred to as a splash guard. Removing the rear wheel isn't necessary but does help.

To help with removal of the splashguard, refer to the service manual section for removing and installing security siren. It will discuss it because the siren is just forward of the splash guard.

Good luck.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:43 PM
Berick
Tourer

........ because putting it in there under inner fender removal would be way to easy! Jeesh!

Old 03-28-2015, 06:38 PM
Berick
Tourer

For anyone else who stumbles across this thread wondering the same thing I was.... the best description in the Service Manual is under "Security Siren Installation/Removal". Don't expect any specific directions cuz there are none. Basically, take out the bolt at the bottom on the inside of the guard, pull the 2 plastic tabs at the bottom (one on each side) and the bottom of the inner guard will come loose. From there you can adjust the shield to slip up on top of the tire (not down) and back. This manual is crap for almost everything I have needed it for so far. Chilton and Haynes manuals are much better with illustrations.