Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major customization ahead...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 10:59 PM
LACOUNTRYHICK
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I too had a Rocker C before I bought my Breakout. You need to really learn to ride your bike, this means more than a few weeks. Before you change your tire and go with a 280 tire, take a look at the tire you have on your Rocker right now. Is your tire wear line extending to the sides of your rear tire? If not then you are not leaning into your curves and do not need a wider tire. I came from riding sport bikes and was use to the large rear tires but for your first bike I would not change the tire. Learn the bike. Practice leaning in your turns and watch your wear line. When it extends to the edges of the tires then you are ready to step up to a wider tire. Good luck

Old 03-29-2015, 11:29 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Wrenchy
You think being that it's your first bike you should get used to riding before you go doing any drastic changes? The 240 rear is already going to sacrifice handling... putting a 280 on is only going to make it worse for you. Try riding it for this season and keep the stuff you bought on the shelf for a while before doing any huge changes. And if you have no riding experience at all, take a safety course and make sure to ride with people who have been riding for a while.

I totally agree with Wrenchy.

A very good buddy of mine has a 2010 Rocker C. He is a very experienced rider. He went back to the 240 for better handling.

His is all done up from crank to Turbo.

If you plan on just riding around town, go for it, but any more than that, you need to put more hours on it.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:47 AM
Optimizer
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone here who shared his experience.

.... so I bought a small scissor lift, assembled it and now checking the best location to locate it under the bike. The purpose is to remove the old rear shocks and install the new progressive ones. These look quite nice with all the finished chrome... its a shame they don't show...

Anyone for some feedback in regards to the axle and trees??

Attached Thumbnails Major customization ahead...-jack.jpg   Major customization ahead...-dsc_1050.jpg  
Old 03-31-2015, 10:40 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Optimizer
Hi,

I just bought a second hand 2008 black Rocker C as my first motorcycle

The Rocker already has a V&H exhaust with Screamin cone filter and several other goodies. I am preparing to do major modifications all at once so ordered a 3" tank lift from DK customs and progressive rear shocks to lower it by 2".

Now a 240 tire is great to start with but once i knew the possibility of a 280, i just couldn't help myself! so i am preparing to order the RR kit from heartland along with 23"x3.5" front wheel. There is a wealth of info in this forum and I know now that i will need the Wide glide trees and in order to rake them, two options came up: Beachin 7 degree or AME 9 degree. Please assist me in the following:

1. Will I need to change the front axle so things are aligned? or i should just specify that i need a rocker wheel with WG hub? Am I missing anything in here?
2. How long should the forks be increased to have proper trail knowing the 2" rear drop and the (7 or 9) degree rake?

This is going to be a major $$ spend that I am being extra cautious about and would appreciate your input.

Fred.
No one answered your questions lol.

1- you will need a new axle (longer) if you switch to a 3.5 wide front wheel. This is because you will now have to install wide glide trees in order to fit the wider than stock new front wheel. You don't need to specify that you need a rocker wheel. Just look for wheels for wide glide front ends. That's it. The spacers for the front wheel should be the same as stock. (At least mine were).

2- you don't have to worry about fork length. The raked trees take care of keeping the rake and trail correct. If you're gonna lower the rear then that is going to increase the amount of degrees you will need in your new triple trees. I kept the stock ride height in the back and I believe my trees have a 2 degree rake in them (for some reason I always forget if my trees are 2 or 4 degrees). In any case whoever you order your trees from will tell you how much rake you need based on how big of a front wheel you're putting on and if you're going to lower the rear or not.

I have no experience with either of those two companies you mention as far as your triple trees. I went with HHI trees, they were amazing to work with, great price and their trees are top notch. Not one complaint. They will even provide you with the correct new axle for the rocker. Don't get a breakout axle, it won't work with the rocker's lower fork legs.

Here is a picture of what my rocker looks like right now.

If you like a certain look than go for it man. Like others have said though, just make sure you think your moves through before you spend the money. I've been guilty of buying **** spurt of the moment and then not liking it two months later. You can always sale the stuff you don't end up using but who wants to deal with that.

I wouldn't worry about having a fat tire in the back, I have a 260 on my rocker and I get it to lean pretty far Lolol!!!! All you gotta do is move your *** off the center of the seat in the direction you're turning while you're leaning and the bike WILL lean. That type of riding is not for everyone but I like it.

Good luck dude.

Attached Thumbnails Major customization ahead...-image.jpg  
Old 03-31-2015, 05:53 PM
rockerz
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Valdemar
You can install 260 tire in the stock rear wheel. Spent a lot of money in a new rear kit to install only a 280 tire, is mucho money to win only 20mm.
I agree. Go with the Dunlop elite 3 250, it's wider than the metzler 260 & just fits the stock set up. That will save you some $$$ for other mods.

I have the Bitchin trees, very good quality but more $ than the HHI, but everything you need is included in the kit. With a 23 go with the 7 degree trees, the rake & trail is good with that set up.

Last edited by rockerz; 03-31-2015 at 05:57 PM.