Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird marker light issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 10:09 PM
fatfatboy
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Weird marker light issue

On my '14 Slim I relocated my marker lights from the bars to down to the sides of the bottom triple tree. This left a lot of excess wire so I cut the wires to shorten them and spliced them back together.
The left light works fine but the right one has an issue.
It will not come on when I turn on the ignition and it wont light up when I turn on the turn signal.
When I turn the ignition off the run light (dimmer portion) of the light will blink to show the security is set.

When I touch the three wires (one ground, one run, run turn) one at a time with a test light the test light will light up on each wire (even ground) but the turn light still does not light.

I removed the bulb and and stuck my test light into the socket and it lights up on run and blinks off and on when the turn signal switch is pushed.

Thinking the bulb was the issue I tried a different bulb and got the same results.
I tried another marker lamp and still the same results.
Am at a loss.

Can anybody help me figure this one out. I really would hate to have to make left turns all the time.

Thank you.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:06 AM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe you have a bad ground connection for the right side. when checking the voltage at the connector with everything connected and you have voltage on the ground circuit, that means the ground is not a completed circuit. Voltage is flowing through the bulb and has no where to go to complete the circuit so it lights your test light. this is called a voltage drop test. if you have batt voltage on the grd wire with the connector disconnected, then you most likely have a wire crossed in your splices.

to confirm bad ground, connect your test light backwards. grd clip to batt voltage and probe grd wire. if grd is good, light will light, if not, well its bad. possibly in your splice.

double check your splice. its very easy to not strip enough insulation and actually crimp the insulation and not the actual wire strands. just probe on both sides of the splice with the test light connected to batt volt.

good luck..

Old 04-07-2015, 10:56 PM
fatfatboy
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the advice Mr. Froggy.
The issue ended up being the plug was defective and had a bad ground.
I bought another plug and new pin connectors and replaced the old and everything is all good again.
Thanks.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:22 AM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You're welcome. glad ya got it figured out.