Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXSB Breakout Upgrade DIY: Fork Suspension / Tires / Brake -Part numbers, tools, tips

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 01:40 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
Should work fine- I would call Ricor if you can, they unfortunately don't answer emails much. The parts will fit but you'll need to know how much fork oil to put in. Be sure to use 5w fork oil and not 10w, sometimes one of the jr tech's at Ricor will say get 10w but for Rocker / Breakout it is 5w.

I don't think there is any difference in length of fork tubes between Rocker and Breakout so I'm anticipating you could use the same amount of fork oil as I outlined for Breakout. Member 'Rocker B' might know since he owns both.

Never get progressive-rate front fork springs. in any bike (JMHO). Go with the exact RaceTech single rate springs as for the Breakout.

422's are better than stock and are an ok value if you can find them on sale. I just think they are a total rip for what they are trying to sell them for full price. Still seems that ShotgunShock is the best all around ride from what I keep hearing.
Yes, the Rocker and Breakout have the same length tubes. I have Progressive springs in both bikes, and while I'm sure this mod is better, the progressive springs are a huge improvement over stock, well worth the $110 I paid for them. I have the 422s on the Rocker, again much better then stock, but if your considering air-ride, I would highly recommend Legend Air Suspension!!! They were the first ones to produce an air suspension for the Softail, been making them since 1998. I have the Legend on my BO. It's the only system using the Gates, Kevlar impregnated rubber air springs. It also has handle bar controls for on the fly adjustment and pumps up a lot faster. The rides very good, I've had zero problems with mine, and I rarely, if ever, have heard of any problems with them. I have heard about the great customer service from SS countless times.... but that's a lot of people needing service!!!

Last edited by Rocker B; 12-21-2016 at 05:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TOMMYBLAZIN (10-14-2016)
Old 01-08-2017, 08:38 PM
bodgie1307
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Im not financialy ready for complete upgrade and just want to change oil do i have to remove tubes or is there a drain ?

Old 01-08-2017, 10:48 PM
NSR
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bodgie1307
Im not financialy ready for complete upgrade and just want to change oil do i have to remove tubes or is there a drain ?

There isn't a drain.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:08 PM
bodgie1307
Cruiser

Originally Posted by NSR
There isn't a drain.

That sux ..so its tubes off,caps off and upend to drain

Old 01-08-2017, 11:59 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts

That sux ..so its tubes off,caps off and upend to drain
Yes if you want to get all of it out that is how you do it. IMHO it is not worth the time or effort to do so, the benefit of adding heavier fork oil is minimal. while the damping can be slightly improved with the heavier oil, it won't do a lick of good for those soggy dual stage springs - which is the main problem.

We're not talking a lot of $$ here for the full upgrade if you are going to DIY- maybe wait a bit or the cash then just do it?

Old 01-09-2017, 12:13 AM
bodgie1307
Cruiser

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
Yes if you want to get all of it out that is how you do it. IMHO it is not worth the time or effort to do so, the benefit of adding heavier fork oil is minimal. while the damping can be slightly improved with the heavier oil, it won't do a lick of good for those soggy dual stage springs - which is the main problem.

We're not talking a lot of $$ here for the full upgrade if you are going to DIY- maybe wait a bit or the cash then just do it?

Thanks LA-dog will wait till i recover from pulley swap then do springs ect

Old 01-09-2017, 08:41 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Good call bro !

The RaceTech video makes for a good understanding and when you really think about it, all a thicker oil can do is provide a "slower" collapse rate at the expense of efficient bump absorption.

Without somehow introducing variable aperture, direction/velocity sensitive valving, all you have is fixed aperture damper tubes through which oil will squish back and forth, with a resistance which must increase with oil velocity. This is simple physics. You want just the opposite to occur. Introducing even a modest product like the Intiminator, allows for differentiating based on oil flow direction/velocity and maintaining higher oil flow resistance against low velocity fork collapse while offering less resistance to rapid oil velocity bump absorption.

"Worth the wait".

Old 01-09-2017, 08:52 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts

I think you'll find it a fun project, and if you knew how much it is going to improve everything you'd do into debt to do it now haha.

If you get the exact parts, have basic tools / jack needed, and follow the install steps on page 1, it will take you 3hrs start to finish - and that is working at a careful leisurely pace with a few cold ones. You'll probably have to pay a bit more for shipping on the Ricor dampers and RaceTech springs but fortunately they don't weigh much

Old 01-30-2017, 06:14 PM
Lindosan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocker B
You've given me some interesting ideas, definitely need do a little more research, but your recommendations make sense! doing the forks first should give me just enough time to figure out exactly what I want to do... Thanks again
i thought you already did the forks ?

Old 01-31-2017, 01:19 AM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Lindosan
i thought you already did the forks ?
Ya, I ended up going with the Progressive spring kit, but the post you quoted was almost 15 months old.... it was after that.

Last edited by Rocker B; 01-31-2017 at 01:39 AM.

Quick Reply: FXSB Breakout Upgrade DIY: Fork Suspension / Tires / Brake -Part numbers, tools, tips