Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Siren on alarm not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 09:49 PM
cgmartine
Road Master
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Siren on alarm not working

I have a 2006 Softail Heritage. The HD factory security system has never fully worked properly. When using the key fob, the alarm system successfully arms itself. The icon on the dash flashes intermittently to indicate the system is armed, and the ignition switch is disabled. I have it programmed to the highest sensitivity level, however, when I move the bike, the siren fails to go off, even though the turn signals flash on and off, indicating an activation. I have now installed two different new 9 volt batteries, to no avail. Any ideas why the siren does not go off?

Old 04-12-2015, 10:20 PM
cgmartine
Road Master

Just want to add that the first 9 volt battery had a whole year to charge up. The second 9 volt battery was fully charged at time of installation, so that charging of both batteries is not the issue. Thx.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:30 PM
cgmartine
Road Master

One other thing: No chirping sound at any time. Does this mean something? Alarm does arm itself, but no sound from siren. Can someone give this a shot?

Old 04-13-2015, 10:26 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

If you have no sound what so ever, I would look at the siren itself. Not plugged in all the way, bad connection, battery - good quality - Rechargable? (you already tried that), bad siren.

I had one on my 07 Street Bob. I never changed the battery in 7 years, Never had any issues.
My 2014 Fat Boy Lo has one on it. It has worked properly, but the other day I noticed it was not completely seated all of the way in, but still worked.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:23 PM
cgmartine
Road Master

Connection has been checked, double checked, and then checked again. 9 volt batteries are brand new, fresh out of package, full charge. Batteries and connection not the issue. Siren is Smart Siren II, purchased from Harley-Davidson for a Heritage Softail. It is mounted behind the bottom of the rear fender. Is there a way to test the siren? I removed the seat and checked all wire bundles, and there are no loose wires. Has anyone with a Heritage experience this problem?

Old 04-14-2015, 01:16 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by cgmartine
I have a 2006 Softail Heritage. The HD factory security system has never fully worked properly. When using the key fob, the alarm system successfully arms itself. The icon on the dash flashes intermittently to indicate the system is armed, and the ignition switch is disabled. I have it programmed to the highest sensitivity level, however, when I move the bike, the siren fails to go off, even though the turn signals flash on and off, indicating an activation. I have now installed two different new 9 volt batteries, to no avail. Any ideas why the siren does not go off?
I take it you mean the siren has never fully worked properly, not the entire security system.

One other thing: No chirping sound at any time. Does this mean something? Alarm does arm itself, but no sound from siren. Can someone give this a shot?
Possibly. I was reading many of the "similar threads" at the bottom of the page in your thread. I recall reading some where the siren was not functioning at all when in chirpless mode. So, your siren may be in chirpless mode. I would try switching your siren to chirp mode. Apparently, there were changes between '06 and '07 model years on how to switch between chirp mode and chirpless mode.

If your owners manual or instructions explain how to do switch modes on your '06 model, follow them. If not, try this (copied from an old thread):

Cycle quickly through arming and disarming twice, this will switch the system from either chirp less or the chirp mode to it's opposite mode.

1. With the fob present, the ignition key ON and the system disarmed, turn the ignition OFF.

2. When the system arms (2 flashes of the turn signals) immediately turn the ignition switch back ON.

3. When the system disarms, (1 flash of the turn signals) immediately turn the ignition switch OFF.

4. When the system arms (2 flashes of the turn signals) immediately turn the ignition switch ON and wait for the system to arm.

5. To change it back, just repeat the steps above again.

Good luck. Hope you get it working properly.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:16 PM
cgmartine
Road Master

The service manual does not address the alarm. The instructions for the siren does not address chirping. I tried numerous times following the instructions for chirping provided above, to no avail. I still do not get the chirping, and no siren activation, although the alarm part does arm itself. i.e. turn signals flash and icon on dash flashes intermittently.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:58 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

The service manual does not address the alarm. The instructions for the siren does not address chirping. I tried numerous times following the instructions for chirping provided above, to no avail. I still do not get the chirping, and no siren activation, although the alarm part does arm itself. i.e. turn signals flash and icon on dash flashes intermittently.
The service manual doesn't address the alarm, the OWNERS manual does. Check what yours says. This is what mine states (2012 Softail OWNERS manual) to switch from chirpless to chirp mode. It is slightly different than my previous post.

1. With the fob present, the ignition switch to IGN.

2. When the system lamp turns off, turn the ignition switch to OFF.

3. When the system lamp turns off but before the turn signals flash twice, immediately turn the ignition switch to IGN.

4. When the system lamp turns off, immediately turn the ignition switch to OFF.

5. When the system lamp turns off but before the turn signals flash twice, immediately turn the ignition switch to IGN.

6. When the system lamp turns off, immediately turn the ignition switch to OFF.

7.When the system lamp turns off but before the turn signals flash twice, immediately turn the ignition switch to IGN.

Below is a link to the instructions I have for the Smart Siren II.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/app-c...ts/-J03842.PDF

Siren diagnostics are at the bottom of page 13.

Again, good luck.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:29 PM
cgmartine
Road Master

I appreciate all you help. After several tries attempting to change the chirping mode, based on your latest instructions, I am still not getting a single chirp, or any sound to come out of the siren. I am now beginning to think the siren itself is not working.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:47 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

I appreciate all you help. After several tries attempting to change the chirping mode, based on your latest instructions, I am still not getting a single chirp, or any sound to come out of the siren. I am now beginning to think the siren itself is not working.
I would tend to agree. Keep us posted on your efforts and results. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Siren on alarm not working