Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Siren on Softail

Old 04-24-2007, 06:31 AM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Siren on Softail

I need to install a siren on my 07 Night Train when the rain stops. How hard is it to access that under-fender area to install the alarm siren? Instructions say rear end may need to be raised??

I want to add that I think its **** poor that I ordered the bike with the security system but the siren is an extra $80! It should come installed with the rest of the system.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:48 AM
overthehill
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Siren on Softail

I agree. The H.D. security system should be just that, which would include the siren. I'm going on a 2000 mile trip on my Deluxe in May and I'm thinking of getting a cheap alarm that will go off if my bike is jostled.Maybe even two or more alarms in case the thief finds one. My main worry is not someone riding my bike off or rolling it off, but picking the whole thing up and tossing itin the back of a van or truck. I have read quite a few stories of Harley owners staying at motels and hotels for the night and find their bikes gone the next morning.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:14 AM
deadeye
Road Warrior

I just want something that will make some noise, even if just for a few seconds, so I can get outside before it gets shoved into a van. I live in Japan, so I can't have a gun. But, I do have a shovel!

Old 04-24-2007, 08:55 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

It's pretty easy. Easiest if you have the bike on a lift.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:50 AM
tail11
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I put my bike up on a lift. You remove the 2 screws at the bottom of the plastic inner fender. The smart siren snaps in and plugs in. Then you run the wire up to the electric box and velcro it in. (You have to remove your seat). Make sure you alarm the system with your original key fob, then program the pager if you bought it.

It only takes a few minutes to install.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13603/6099E60355B049E9B793C9C3A39615A7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-24-2007, 12:13 PM
deadeye
Road Warrior

Thanks for the info, but I don't have a lift or access to a lift without getting a shop involved. I hope its possible to do it without a lift.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:13 PM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey deadeye...you're right, the siren should be part of the factory system but what can you do?

Installation is a breeze...and a jack will help. Takes more time to remove the inner fender cover than it does to install the alarm!

Note...the siren contains a backup battery that sounds if power is cut! Meaning when you go to work on your bike you must disarm the alarm, not just disconnect the battery! The alarm cycle is sounding for 30 seconds, silence for 5 seconds, sounding again...for 10 cycles! Don't ask me how I know this! When you need to disable the alarm...turn the ignition on for several seconds then remove the Maxi-Fuse. This will keep the sirn off and your neighbors happy!

Good luck!

Steve

Old 04-24-2007, 12:25 PM
clueless
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the siren plus in areas where I want to be alerted (ie motel). I use this: http://www.xenasecurity.com/product/motorbikes/page1/

the XH-15 hardenend disc lock with built in siren...

I don't stay at hotels where I cant see or hear my bike when traveling... unless its a secure parking area of the Hotel.

Old 04-24-2007, 05:48 PM
tail11
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

You can do it without a lift, but it sure makes it easier instead of laying on the garage floor.

You should check out the lifts at Sears - they usually run less than a hundred bucks.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13603/62B70FED8C5B4AEF856BF1E8B7F4057D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-24-2007, 05:55 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it my imagination or did they change the terminology of what a security system is. When we bought my bike (2002), we installed a "security system" (disabler and audio alarm), when hubby purchased his Deuce (2003), it came from the factory with a "security system" (disabler and audio alarm); When we bought his street glide this year (2007), we asked to have a "security system" installed (didn't come with it from factory) and they only installed the disabler.

Boyhowdy! I can tell he was a little hot under the collar when we had to pay more for the audio alarm. I just can't understand why the audio alarm isn't part of the "security system" now. It certainly used to be. What the heck good is just a disabler? If you can't hear an alarm, how the heck would you know someone is messin with your scoot?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Siren on Softail