Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electra glide to a Softail, Any regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 05:54 AM
Pale Horse Rider
Tourer
Received 234 Likes on 73 Posts

My wife and I rented an EG Ultra Limited for a day because my Heritage backrest was uncomfortable for her. We did 300 miles for the test drive.

She had no issues with the back rest on the tour pack on the EG. The EG is a beautiful machine, just not for me.

I put a quick release tour pack on my Heritage and now my wife has the back rest from an EG and I can take it off when I ride solo.

The EG is more nimble than the Heritage, corners better, and is smoother at 70+ MPH. The interesting thing about the EG is that while the ride feels smoother at higher highway speeds there is a tremendous amount of vibration in the engine that you can feel in the shifter. You don't have engine vibration with the Heritage, on highway or at idle. Not to say the ride is vibration free at higher speeds, just less vibration from the engine.

I thought I would like the vibration that is part of the character of a tour bike. While it looks impressive, and always will, it's not for me.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:58 AM
HardRider1
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

I loved the Heritage, great around town and you could pack it up and go for the long haul if you wanted to.

The bike handles very well, although its low slung stature which appeals to so many for it's looks and low CG also comes at a price, dragging boards around just about every corner, which can be a tad unnerving when done at speed in the twisties.

For around town it handles easily given its low CG and you will find many looking at it while rolling down the road or parked, many times I came out to a conversation about how good looking the Heritage is.

There is only one negative I would mention and that would of the beautifully chromed oil tank, not an issue when rolling down the road, but around town, stop and go traffic, its hot......real hot. You will find your self intentionally moving your inner legs away from the tank after idling in traffic and it doesn't take long.

I won't say that this issue was the sole cause for me to trade to an Ultra, but it certainly helped the decision along. I love long rides and the Ultra fits that well, I figured while I was still young and strong enough to handle the Ultra I would put some mile in the saddle of one.

If I could I would have both, but that's just not possible for me.

Test drive one, but I would think for an investment of the size needed for a new Heritage, you would get a better feel for it by renting one for a couple of days to experience more of what the Heritage has to offer.

Good luck and ride safe

Old 04-19-2015, 09:09 AM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I have both a '14 Limited and an '01 Heritage Springer. The newer touring bikes handle a little different than the older ones do, and by different IMO better - but that being said - I agree with what a lot are saying here - if you are mostly an around town kinda rider - Heritage no doubt is your best bet and you will not have any regrets. The Softails ride very nice, they handle well, and they are comfy for those day rides while touring your watering' hole stops.

I do a lot of long trips. I have tried to take the Springer on long destination rides - it just doesn't do it for me - too spoiled with the comfort and e-goodies my Limited has. I took a few long full day rides last year after I got my HS, only stopping for gas and dragon draining, and by the end of the day my back, legs, arms, and shoulders let me know that we should not do this very often. ;-)

Old 04-19-2015, 11:02 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Absolutely NO regrets. Last bike was a 97 Heritage and before that a 70 Electra glide. I have this bike modded out to handle anything I can throw at it, well, except that Dear! There is so much more you can do with a Softail, IMHO. Whatever you choose have fun and ride safe.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:21 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I have both bikes. I absolutely love my Heritage. It is smooth and easy in town and low speeds and stop and go traffic, that balance makes the bike effortless. At higher speeds, 70+, there is a vibration that will wear on you on long trips. The suspension is also noticeably rougher at highway speeds than the touring bikes. Lastly if you go long distances, that cruise control is really a help. I ride over 12,000 miles annually. If I were to have only one bike, it would be a Touring model.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:38 PM
BarrettsPrivateer
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

90% of my town riding is on the softail, simply because I enjoy the softail around town more, and I think it handles better in town.....but 100% of my highway riding when going more than 100km from home is on the touring bike for exactly the same reason, I simply enjoy the touring bike on the highway more than the softail, and I think it's better for that riding.