Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Heritage Softail?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 05:42 PM
jgraves1107
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Heritage Softail?

This is my first Harley and I am wet behind the ears. Long story short I have aggressive rheumatoid arthritis (why arthritis is in it is beyond me). Wife found me a vstar 650 last august and my dad wanted it. Yes 43 and my dad bought my Harley so he could have my vstar. I have only had it since Wednesday. I noticed that this thing is hard to shift compared to the vstar. Is that normal? Yes it probably is a stupid question, but never hurts to ask. Also noticed my bike rides true, but the top seems to be off to the right like the bars aren't straight. Looks like they greased up the bearings and didn't straight the forks right. Would that be adjusted by loosing the top bolt and nudging the bars straight? Thanks

Old 04-18-2015, 05:44 PM
katanaplanet
Banned
Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

I would take it to a good Indy in your area to get it checked.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:58 PM
jgraves1107
2nd Gear

That's the problem I bought it from one. It may just be me and I did ride it yesterday for a bit longer. Which was only the second time cuz it's raining here bad this week. Wasn't sure if the heavy feel of the shifter as I shift is normal. Plus add a flaring left ankle to it may just be me. Couldn't walk last night on it after the fun I was having running up and down the road. Wish the Harley shop wasn't an hour and a half away. Ah who am I kidding. I will probly drive it there Tuesday just to get the heal shifter if they have it. That maybe what my issue is....weak ankle.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:43 PM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 984 Posts

Clutch adjust-lube every linkage joint -do you have a heel shifter also? It does make upshifts easier for those with joint pain IMO. Heel shift worked wonders when my ankle was in a cast.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:57 PM
jgraves1107
2nd Gear

Yeah I'm gonna get the heel shifter. I think I'm just a noob harley owner. It rides so much smoother. Gonna go through this service manual and see what I can learn.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:13 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by jgraves1107
Yeah I'm gonna get the heel shifter. I think I'm just a noob harley owner. It rides so much smoother. Gonna go through this service manual and see what I can learn.
A 2007 Heritage has a heel/toe shifter if it is stock. The heel shifter is the way to learn from day 1. Once learned you will never want to toe shift again. Find someone in you area that owns an Heritage or Softail. Let them ride yours and get their opinion on what you are experiancing, and go from there.

Last edited by checkers; 04-18-2015 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:26 PM
jgraves1107
2nd Gear

Nope this one has the spacer. No heel shifter. Gonna get that fixed. Ya buy used and it's set the way the other guy liked it. But if it's gonna be mine I need to take a road trip to the Harley dealer for a shopping spree and hmmmm the wife may beat me to it if I'm not careful.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:16 AM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jgraves1107
Nope this one has the spacer. No heel shifter. Gonna get that fixed. Ya buy used and it's set the way the other guy liked it. But if it's gonna be mine I need to take a road trip to the Harley dealer for a shopping spree and hmmmm the wife may beat me to it if I'm not careful.
It wouldn't hurt while at the dealer you visit for your goodies grabbing spree to have one of the service guys take a gander at your scoot and see if they say anything...

Old 04-19-2015, 04:18 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

2007 here (check sig). Most everything about these bikes are big, heavy and clunky. Name of the game I suppose.

Never liked those heal-shifters. Just seems counter-intuitive to me, but I cut my teeth on a 69 triumph bonny, so there you are...

Have fun though. Pretty versatile bike.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:26 PM
Whtwolf14
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

I picked up an 07 Heritage last August, and I was paranoid that something was wrong with it; she rode funny compared to my Honda I had. Farting around on here I learned that I was comparing apples to oranges. See what the dealership says, but be careful some call them "stealerships" for a reason. For me, the heel/toe shifter took some getting used to, but now I love it. I took her out yesterday for the first time since the weather changed. Like said above, they are big and clunky and not the most nimble rides, but she is a good all around bike...enjoy the ride!

Quick Reply: 2007 Heritage Softail?