Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

softail slim vs. dyna Street bob????

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 07:55 PM
FLSlim
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was gunho for the Softy Deluxe for months till I went and sat on a new one. It didnt fit me. Tried the Dyna, It didnt fit me. Tried the Fatboy Lo, didnt fit me. He showed me the Slim and I been happy happy happy. It fits me and the Slim is midget certified

Old 04-25-2015, 07:56 PM
rowan
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Thumbs up

sold my dyna Lowrider (05 88ci) for a slim, my Lowrider was lowered, and had mids, with mini apes installed, similar set up to a street bob, the slim fit me perfectly and has floorboards, test ride a slim you will not be sorry! SLIM

Last edited by rowan; 04-25-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:36 PM
waverly
Advanced

I went from a 2009 nightster to a '12 street bob and am now on a '14 softail slim.

Either bike will be way more comfortable and capable on a long trip than the sporty. Either will be better at hauling a passenger as well. I had my 'Bob for a couple of years and have only had my Slim since sept, but I can give you my impressions thus far..

No contest the slim is a more comfortable bike, and def feels more stable on the highway. My 'Bob had the 96" engine, Slim has the 103 which, seat of pants feels like it has a little for low end grunt, or torque if you will. The "Bob had a marginally better lean angle, but the Slim turns in easier and feels more stable.

Everyone's body size and ideas on comfort are different, and you can easily modify either bike to fit you. I hated the mids on the 'Bob and put forwards on it, but I did like the apes. I love the floor boards on the slim but I may put pullback risers on. To each their own, but like I said each bike can be modified to fit nearly anyone.

My .02 would be if you plan on some long trips and having a passenger, the Slim might be the way to go.

Bottom line is both are great bikes, you may want to think which "look" you like better, as buying that bike will likely leave you more riding time and enjoyment, and less chasing making into whatever image is in your head.....although we all have fun doing that anyway

Old 04-25-2015, 11:30 PM
dutchslim
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slim vs. Street Bob

I had the same dilemma. Ended up renting/riding both. Suggest you do the same. In the end it's your own personal preference. I ended up with a Slim and am very pleased with it.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:27 AM
FLSlim
Cruiser

only little complaint I have about the Slim is the rear end lighting. Its sparse and your invisible already if you've chose black or charcoal satin. Needs a big red 6" STOP light on the fender about 4 inches up in the air. Could use a big hand that comes out and slaps em when they get too close.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:48 AM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by FLSlim
only little complaint I have about the Slim is the rear end lighting. Its sparse and your invisible already if you've chose black or charcoal satin. Needs a big red 6" STOP light on the fender about 4 inches up in the air. Could use a big hand that comes out and slaps em when they get too close.
It's no worse than many other models.
If you want to increase your visibility, change out your turn lamps for LED's and add an LED run/brake light.
These are all from Custom Dynamics:

Old 04-27-2015, 08:11 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts

Someone said to me, when I was facing the same dilemna, you will spend 90% of your riding time at less than 40 mph, and about 1/4 of that sitting at a light. He was right.

I dreamed of long rides... and he knew I liked a bike that handled well. That pointed to a Dyna, no ifs ands or buts.

I listed to his advice and when I sit on my nightrain at a light next to one of my buddies on a dyna, I am glad I made the decision that I made... until I go on a long ride in the twisties.

Mid-controls out handle anything... except a full race setup with rearsets. Touring bikes actually outhandle my nightrain becausemine has both forward controls and a fat rear tire and at least they have footboards so that they can move their feet back some.

In my case the only answer that would have made me perfectly happy was to get two bikes... one for commuting and one for touring. You just need to decide on what your real purpose for riding is and make the choice. Some dealers will deduct your rental cost from the purchase... which might be a good idea.

You can also go here and read about motorcycle ergonomics:

http://csharpharley.blogspot.com/

Good luck.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:01 AM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts
Default two up

From what you said you better ask your passenger not us!!!
Just saying! If you are looking for a bike for two!look together or you are asking for trouble!

Last edited by 5150northrider; 04-27-2015 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:21 AM
HDMoparBoy
Advanced

Go ride them both. If the dealer wants to sell you a bike they'll let you ride every bike in the store. I was torn between the bob and a slim as well. The slim rides real smooth but I had an 04 super glide a few years ago and regret ever selling it. so here I am on my bob. good luck with your decision. Whatever you choose they're both great bikes.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:00 AM
CM22
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You say that you are looking for:

1. Power (pretty much even)
2. Comfort (Softail)
3. Looks (The softail frame is much better looking imo - they can both be good looking bikes though)

The softail has a lower seat height, holds a little more gas and is about 30 lbs heavier.

Sounds like the softail is what you are looking for.

Quick Reply: softail slim vs. dyna Street bob????