Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

softail slim vs. dyna Street bob????

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 12:23 PM
dhayesaz
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Default softail slim vs. dyna Street bob????

Ok, I'm sure this has been asked numerous times, but I'm having a really hard time making an educated and expensive decision.

I'm trading in my 2011 sportster 48. I am having a hard time deciding between the dyna street bob and softail slim. What I'm looking for is power, comfort (for long rides with a passenger) and of course looks!

I've spent DAYS googling and reading and youtubing but haven't found anything that leans me in one direction or the other. I guess I'm looking for someone who has owned/ridden both of these bikes and can offer their opinion. I have ridden the street bob (stock) and it's not a bad ride, definately more comfy than my sporty and faster, but every time I see a slim, I can't help but to stare at it. I've sat on on plenty and they seem really comfy as well. Love the floor boards. I know the dyna is a bike for more aggressive riding, which I love to do, but I didn't buy a harley to do wheelies or street race. I can't stand mid controls either.

With price not being an issue, I'm wondering which bike may be a better overall purchase. I plan on dumping a lot of money into it and I want to be happy with the bike I choose.

I don't want to make a rash uninformed purchase like it did with my sporty. Although, I turned that bike into a pretty cool ride, I always regretted not spending more time comparing and reseaeching.

Thank you

Old 04-25-2015, 12:36 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Based on what you are looking for, it seems like the Slim is the right choice. I was in your shoes about two years ago when I traded in my Sportster.

The CB engine along with floorboards give the Slim a leg up in comfort. The low center of gravity of the Softail's help a lot when carrying a passenger.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:50 PM
CouchMaster
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got an 07 Springer Classic and a 13 Street Bob. For long hauls the soft tail is the way to go - smooth, heavy and rock steady on I10; not to mention the balanced engine. For anything else I'll ride the Bob. It's lighter, more fun but shakes like crazy and there is no where to tie stuff down. The Bob is like a Sportster with a big azz engine in it so you should know how it goes if you got a 48. You will love the Slim but if you are a Sportster guy then get the Bob.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:57 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by dhayesaz
"...but every time I see a slim, I can't help but to stare at it..."
Go with the one that speaks to you.
Sounds to me like the Slim is calling you.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:03 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Just curious but is it possible that you are over thinking this. If it was me, I'd sit on both, look at both and if possible test ride them both and then pic the one that feels the best to me. Since you plan on dumping a lot of money into mods, you can make either bike look just the way you want it to. There will always be people that love their Dynas and likewise with the Softails but you need to pick the bike that feels best for you not how it feels to somebody else, no offense.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:06 PM
dhayesaz
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Yup! I always drool over the slim! I think the street bob is bad *** in its own right, but I like big chubby apes and the whole LA gangster style bike. I think the slim has more potential in that reguard. BUT I do love hauling some major *** even around twists and turns.....

Old 04-25-2015, 01:55 PM
KYfishtail
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just like previously mentioned. You are going to have to test ride them and then decide. Everybody is different. For one person, the dyna will be better, and another the Slim. The Dyna was my second choice when I bought my Slim a year ago.

Pros for the Dyna -
Handles better. Lower initial cost. More suspension options.
Cons - Shakes at idle, even at low speeds.

Pros for Slim -
Smoother ride for the long haul. Bigger front tire (which I think rides better). Bigger tank (I think).
Cons: You will scrape the floorboards around every tight corner. There is no way around it.

Other differences - Dyna has mid controls, the Slim's are forward. You sit IN the Softail. You sit ON the Dyna. The ergos are pretty different between the bikes. Only you can coose the apes over the Hollywood bars, or the foot controls.

I hope this helps

Old 04-25-2015, 01:55 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by dhayesaz
Ok, I'm sure this has been asked numerous times, but I'm having a really hard time making an educated and expensive decision.

I'm trading in my 2011 sportster 48. I am having a hard time deciding between the dyna street bob and softail slim. What I'm looking for is power, comfort (for long rides with a passenger) and of course looks!
Dude if you are going to make a logical and educated decision you have to at first identify what you want (which you have done) and next identify what brand of motorcycle does what you want the best (which you have not done). You said you want power, comfort, and looks. Well neither bike is the most comfortable or the most powerful. The best combination of power, looks, and comfort are the tourers (though I do not care for the looks of most Harley tourers).

Each model line Harley makes is designed for a particular purpose. The Dynas are designed to be a sportier styled cruiser. The tourers for those who want super comfortable plush ride for the long road trips. The softails are designed to be modern classics which are designed to look like the 40's/50's hardtail panheads. The softails are also the only model line with counterbalanced air cooled engines and the softail frame. Softails are not at all designed to be fast but to cruise and take in the breeze.

I came to the conclusion I wanted a heritage because my favorite two bikes prior to me owning a softail were a 2009 RKC and a 2008 Suzuki c50t. The Heritage has the original look, fit and finish that Harley is known for but a modern counterbalanced engine and extremely easy to handle at any speed.

Old 04-25-2015, 02:51 PM
swifty
Tourer
Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Can you rent each one for a day?? it will probably cost you about 300 total.. a drop in the bucket since you about to spent 15000. just my 2cts.....swifty

Old 04-25-2015, 03:08 PM
xzatx
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same here.. i sold my sportster... i was planning to get a street bob and save couple bux.
luckily the harley dealer next to me did a demo-weekend event, and i was able to test ride both street bob and softail and i fell in love with the softail

i did not see any comfort difference or much difference in ride quality between dyna streetbob and sportster.. it felt similar, just more power.

softail was awesome, super comfortable, rides amazing and feels amazing.

go softail, u wont regret it.

Quick Reply: softail slim vs. dyna Street bob????