Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does these exhaust flange bolts look right?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 07:53 PM
sincitychoppa
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does these exhaust flange bolts look right?

They do not look to be torqued properly and evenly. Is this common or does it need to be undone and re-torqued???

Old 04-26-2015, 07:59 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Look like nuts to me!
yes, they look good. how tight are they?

Old 04-26-2015, 08:05 PM
jtaliani
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does not look right. If you look from the opposite side of the bike, you'll almost certainly see that the flange is not flush and the head pipe lip is visible. I ran into this issue following the service manual install procedure of torquing the top bolt to a certain level, then torquing the bottom, then final torquing. This resulted in a improperly seated pipe like you appear to have. Bought another new set of gaskets and started over. Best advice is to remove, put in fresh gaskets, and then align the pipe and just so a few small turns on each bolt going back and forth until flange and bolts are ready for final torque to spec. This method is much easier to get a proper even seat. Following this method, all flange gap was removed and the exposed threads are almost identical.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:29 PM
sincitychoppa
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jtaliani
Does not look right. If you look from the opposite side of the bike, you'll almost certainly see that the flange is not flush and the head pipe lip is visible. I ran into this issue following the service manual install procedure of torquing the top bolt to a certain level, then torquing the bottom, then final torquing. This resulted in a improperly seated pipe like you appear to have. Bought another new set of gaskets and started over. Best advice is to remove, put in fresh gaskets, and then align the pipe and just so a few small turns on each bolt going back and forth until flange and bolts are ready for final torque to spec. This method is much easier to get a proper even seat. Following this method, all flange gap was removed and the exposed threads are almost identical.
That, I hope the idiot HD dealer didn't mess the heads up. I will do as you say.