Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you think? $1,000 for SE Pro Super Tuner and complete dyno

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 09:11 PM
Jaburg1
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I will never let anyone Dyno my bike. Of course, all I have is a performance exhaust, XiED, and a SE air intake. Still.....

Old 05-06-2015, 07:35 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I had the pro tuner and it went out on me. My ECM took a dump too. I got a new ECM, Dynojet 5 tuner and then dynoed all for 800 bucks. Find a good tuner and an INDY. I will NEVER take my bike to s dealership, ever!

Old 05-06-2015, 08:56 AM
sleepyone
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a question for those of you more knowledgeable on dynos and tuning. Do you have to have a tuner to get a dyno? Can a dyno communicate directly to the ECM or does there have to be a device in between to communicate?

My friend swears his dyno guy yanked his PCV out and dynoed his 2009 SG with no tuner. He took four hours to dyno it and when he had the perfect tune he saved it to a USB flash drive and my friend carries that around on his key chain in case he ever has to go to a HD dealer in a pinch when he is away from home.

That is where I'm confused. If you don't need a tuner to get a dyno performed, why spend the extra money and have another piece of equipment on your bike that can fail?

Old 05-12-2015, 06:16 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepyone
Here is a question for those of you more knowledgeable on dynos and tuning. Do you have to have a tuner to get a dyno? Can a dyno communicate directly to the ECM or does there have to be a device in between to communicate?

My friend swears his dyno guy yanked his PCV out and dynoed his 2009 SG with no tuner. He took four hours to dyno it and when he had the perfect tune he saved it to a USB flash drive and my friend carries that around on his key chain in case he ever has to go to a HD dealer in a pinch when he is away from home.

That is where I'm confused. If you don't need a tuner to get a dyno performed, why spend the extra money and have another piece of equipment on your bike that can fail?
You have to tune the engine somehow, but there are two ways of doing it: Either you reprogram the ECM with the new tune, using a flash tuner (which need not stay on the bike), or you put a device in that fiddles with the instructions coming out of the ECM and fiddles again with the responses that it receives back from the sensors (a piggyback tuner, which must stay on the bike). The latter are inferior and can't tune to the same level of complexity or reliability as as a flash tuner. The PCV is a piggyback tuner, and if the ECM can be reflashed, there is no advantage in using a PCV. It sounds like the dyno guy had a universal flash tuner that he could use to flash the ECM on any bike. Provided you don't need to change the equipment again, that sounds like a great deal to me.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:39 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

Actually it sounds like the OP has a 103" twin cam with a Stage 1 heavy breather and VH Big radius pipes.

He should buy the Race Tuner (or TTS tuner) and go to the Fuel Injection section of the forum and ask if someone has a map.

This is exactly what I did and some very generous forum members sent me maps from their stage 1 dyno tune. Their setups were practically identical to mine. I then used the tuning feature of the SESPT to dial in the map even further. Bike runs awesome!

Old 05-14-2015, 01:26 PM
sleepyone
Cruiser

Peg20, you are right about the dyno guy having a flash tuner. I spoke with him the other day. He uses Direct Link by TechnoResearch. He charges $250 for the tuner and $300 for the dyno, which takes about 4 hours. This is half of what the stealership wants for the HD flash tuner and dyno.

End result for $550 is you get a perfectly tuned bike and your map sent to you electronically and on a USB drive that you can carry on your key chain.

My friend who uses this guy did not realize he was using a flash tuner. He just knew the dyno guy pulled his PCV and said he could do a better job without it.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:27 PM
sleepyone
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BigMike
Actually it sounds like the OP has a 103" twin cam with a Stage 1 heavy breather and VH Big radius pipes.

He should buy the Race Tuner (or TTS tuner) and go to the Fuel Injection section of the forum and ask if someone has a map.

This is exactly what I did and some very generous forum members sent me maps from their stage 1 dyno tune. Their setups were practically identical to mine. I then used the tuning feature of the SESPT to dial in the map even further. Bike runs awesome!
yep, that is my config. I'm saving my pennies now for the DirectLink flashtuner and dyno.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:16 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

SS tuner 400+, another 280 for the dyno...labor? Imagination

Old 05-26-2015, 10:34 PM
Revmaster T
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, I just had my bike (2015 RK) done at the dealer. The SE Pro Super Tuner was $459 and the dyno time was $280. There were no other charges. Bike made 85.6 hp and 101.55 torque not bad for stock engine with V&H exhaust and different intake.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:42 AM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

The price is high.
I've had two SEPST on the last two Dynas I owned. I downloaded a base map and tuned both bikes myself and a friend's as well. There is a good thread in the forum about the SEPST and tuning with them. Go to "Harley Davidson Tech & Mechanical" section and then "Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection." There are a lot of good tuning devises out there. For my 06 Softail I will probably try a Thundermax. Fuel Moto, from what I have read using the advanced search engine in the forums, seems to have a good support system and are very helpful.

Quick Reply: What do you think? $1,000 for SE Pro Super Tuner and complete dyno