Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Half moon boards on a deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 05:58 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

Highguy those look good. I take it you had to purchase the pans separate from the inserts? I wonder if the half moon boards will absorb the buzz as much as yours. My stock boards buzz pretty good under acceleration. Only in the boards. I tried to find the cause to no avail, so logic says to dampen the boards. Another issue is I already have the crested pegs and brake pad, so what ever I get will need to closely resemble those but have better dampen ability than stock ones.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:50 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Stock boards here, no issues. I am thinking of going to half moons because I can get those in white. I know, I know, they will get dirty, blah, blah, blah. 1 thing though, nothing on my bike ever gets dirty. I have white walls, no problem. I have a white seat, no problems. I have chrome and white hand grips, no problems.

The only draw back is that I dont know if I can get the rear boards to match the white up front if I use them. If I ever had a "buzzing" in my floor boards I would be looking into the very closely. It's not the type of floor boards that is buzzing.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:28 PM
tagalongtrouble
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
Stock boards here, no issues. I am thinking of going to half moons because I can get those in white. I know, I know, they will get dirty, blah, blah, blah. 1 thing though, nothing on my bike ever gets dirty. I have white walls, no problem. I have a white seat, no problems. I have chrome and white hand grips, no problems.

The only draw back is that I dont know if I can get the rear boards to match the white up front if I use them. If I ever had a "buzzing" in my floor boards I would be looking into the very closely. It's not the type of floor boards that is buzzing.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...tboard-inserts

Old 05-17-2015, 10:04 PM
highguy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cocky
Highguy those look good. I take it you had to purchase the pans separate from the inserts? I wonder if the half moon boards will absorb the buzz as much as yours. My stock boards buzz pretty good under acceleration. Only in the boards. I tried to find the cause to no avail, so logic says to dampen the boards. Another issue is I already have the crested pegs and brake pad, so what ever I get will need to closely resemble those but have better dampen ability than stock ones.
Thanks.
And you're correct. I couldn't find the chrome pans from Harley so I got them from either Ebay or Dennis Kirk. I can't remember, but they were not very expensive.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:02 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member

Thx highguy, hadn't thought of a non OEM pan. I ordered the half moon ones last week. They seem to have the same amount of rubber cushion as the ones you have. I compared the two from bikes sitting on the dealers floor. My only concern is that the half moon non-black is actually polished stainless. No chrome in the half moon OEM boards. They look ok being polished and close to chrome looking. I hope this takes care of my problem. They do make chrome inserts for the half moon. How to they really attach to the pan? They seem to press in the holes? I will report back with pics when I get em on.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:06 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

I went to white half moon boards right after I bought my DeLuxe, No vibration issues at all. As for the white issue, Wesley's Bleach White cleans those WWW and rubber parts like magic.

Attached Thumbnails Half moon boards on a deluxe-flstn-051815a.jpg   Half moon boards on a deluxe-flstn-051815b.jpg  
Old 05-18-2015, 04:51 PM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member

Hey gunny, the white trim looks really nice. I bet magic eraser would work well on the boards also. It does a number on my whitewalls.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:22 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Never tried the eraser, been usin Bleach White for years. Nice thing about Wesleys' is that you just spray in on and wash it off, VERY little elbow grease needed. It keeps those white floor boards clean easily.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:02 AM
highguy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The inserts have rubber **** that go into the holes on the pan. I used dish soap to get them in and it was very simple. Took no more than 2 minutes.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:38 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by highguy
The inserts have rubber **** that go into the holes on the pan. I used dish soap to get them in and it was very simple. Took no more than 2 minutes.
I just used water for lube and pliers to pull them through. No problems and no vibrations.

I notice the half moons are a little smaller, but it's never been a problem. They do still scrape about the same as the other boards if you're driving aggressively.

As noted, they aren't chrome but they look close and I like the nostalgic look.

Quick Reply: Half moon boards on a deluxe