Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breakout conversion to 7" headlight

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 08:47 AM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Breakout conversion to 7" headlight

Here's a few pictures to show a conversion to a 7" chrome headlight bucket and LED headlight for the Breakout. The bucket is an eBay special at $70 shipped...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361034589737

It's pretty much a direct replacement with a few caveats...

1. The bolt for the block that mounts it to the triple tree is NC Fine, so you'll need to purchase one - I think I used a 5/16x1.75 NCFine. (The original HD bolt is course thread)

2. The bucket comes with a harness, but it's easier to use the one from the original 5" bucket. You can release the contacts in the connector, then pull the wires back out and use the same rubber seal on the new 7" bucket. I cut the rubber on mine because I have an extra wire for the garage door opener sense wire to the Hi-beam lead.

3. If, like me, you have a windshield, you'll have to re-radius the opening for the new bucket. (Always fun cutting a windshield)

Here's a few photos.

Attached Thumbnails Breakout conversion to 7" headlight-img_0964.jpg   Breakout conversion to 7" headlight-img_0965.jpg  

Last edited by FurryOne; 05-09-2015 at 08:49 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-09-2015, 09:03 AM
Pigbacon
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like that Furry. It looks good on there. May have to upgrade my size also when I change out my black bucket.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:55 AM
SGMongoose
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

do you have a pic with the whole bike?

Old 05-09-2015, 10:57 AM
FurryOne
Road Master

Originally Posted by SGMongoose
do you have a pic with the whole bike?
I didn't until you asked. I have the detachable sport windshield, but I took it off for the first two pictures.

Attached Thumbnails Breakout conversion to 7" headlight-img_0966.jpg   Breakout conversion to 7" headlight-img_0967.jpg   Breakout conversion to 7" headlight-img_0971.jpg  
Old 05-28-2015, 10:34 AM
super2kc
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude! I like the look of the BDL man, I'm considering an Xtreme Machine open primary on my beasty, how do you like it? any major caveats or changes in how the bike runs or sounds?

Old 05-29-2015, 12:43 AM
Steven725
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

It looks great, I always thought the breakout needed the 7 inch headlight on it

Old 05-30-2015, 08:19 PM
FurryOne
Road Master

Originally Posted by super2kc
Dude! I like the look of the BDL man, I'm considering an Xtreme Machine open primary on my beasty, how do you like it? any major caveats or changes in how the bike runs or sounds?
BDL? Nope! I have the Rivera-Primo Brute IV Extreme w/3" wide belt. (They only list a 2" belt now for the Breakout/Rocker.) You CAN run it without the outer guard if you want. Here's a few notes on belt drives -

1. More vibration because you have to remove the compensator.

2. More noise because your clutch basket is open now - clutch disk chatter is very noticeable, especially in neutral.

3. 3" wide is a bit too wide. Both BDL & R-P seem to have standardized on 2" wide belts unless you go to a competition setup.

4. PMI sells a BDL unit with their own covers for $1K more than BDL's or R-P's standard price. (ouch!... but it looks nice)

5. Changing to a belt will change the primary ratio. Here's the differences:

Stock HD chain: F: 34T R: 46T Ratio: 1.35:1

BDL Belt drive: F: 52T R: 69T Ratio: 1.32:1

Primo Belt drive: F: 49T R: 76T Ratio: 1.55:1

...So with BDL, you're RPMs go down a slight bit, and with Primo they go up a bit more. (I'm turning 3K at 70MPH)

6. The Primo gears are steel and heavy, but they slide onto the splines with no need for loctite on the splines (just like the original HD sprockets do). BDL tells you (and their videos show you) to smear red locket all over the splines. I had no idea why they said to do this until someone else said their gears are made of aluminum, which expands & contracts with the heat.

7. For any Belt drive primary, you have to reverse the stator oil seal.

8. The belt whines a little like a jet engine starting up when you get on it hard.

9. The change in ratios on mine caused the gear readout to become totally unreliable. There's a fix for this, but I haven't installed it yet.

10. Would I do it again? Hell yeah, but with the 2" belt.

Attached Thumbnails Breakout conversion to 7" headlight-img_0967.jpg  
Old 03-10-2016, 05:07 PM
FurryOne
Road Master

Here's a picture of the headlight connector and the 2 plastic locks that hold the contacts in. Both have to be depressed at the same time to push the contact out of the body. (It's also a good reference for when you go to put the connector back together and forget which wire goes where. ) Also attached is a crude drawing of how the connector body locks the contact in.

Attached Thumbnails Breakout conversion to 7" headlight-release.jpg   Breakout conversion to 7" headlight-img_1283.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
burnsy87 (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 05:18 PM
burnsy87
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Thanks Furry, I'll try again

Old 03-10-2016, 10:09 PM
FurryOne
Road Master

Here's the addition to the 7" LED headlight - an LED light bar for daytime visibility. It's a Kawell Slim 18W 6500K LED from Amazon for $15.

Mounted under the Triple Tree using the headlight mounting bolt and the bracket that comes with the light bar. I ran the wires into my headlight bucket and used 3M vampire taps to ground and the Low Beam lead.

This helps during the day because of the sharp cutoff of the LED pattern.

Attached Thumbnails Breakout conversion to 7" headlight-img_1244.jpg   Breakout conversion to 7" headlight-img_1243.jpg   Breakout conversion to 7" headlight-img_1242.jpg  

Quick Reply: Breakout conversion to 7" headlight