Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Slim vs Breakout
Softail Slim
50.29%
Breakout
49.71%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Slim vs Breakout?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 01:06 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,165 Likes on 6,216 Posts

I say neither. Both are cool bikes, but given what your requirements are, in particular of riding two up, the Fat Boy is a better choice than either of those bikes.

Amber Whiskey Fat Boys look great. I think 2014 is the only year for that color on a Fat Boy.

The fat boy is a solid platform to build off of because the parts and accessories don't have to be Fat Boy specific. Many Heritage and Deluxe parts will fit, which gives you even more options.

Besides, an Evo Fat Boy was featured prominently in Terminator 2.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:09 PM
07 Nightrain
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have rode both and bought the Breakout and the only thing I loved on the slim was the tank console cover so I put that on my breakout. LOL

Old 05-21-2015, 01:13 PM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 635 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
I say neither. Both are cool bikes, but given what your requirements are, in particular of riding two up, the Fat Boy is a better choice than either of those bikes.

Amber Whiskey Fat Boys look great. I think 2014 is the only year for that color on a Fat Boy.

The fat boy is a solid platform to build off of because the parts and accessories don't have to be Fat Boy specific. Many Heritage and Deluxe parts will fit, which gives you even more options.

I agree with you. The Fatboy is an amazing bike.. I had a Fatboy Lo and it was the best over all handling bike i ever owned. But!!! I always felt like the styling was a bit confused.. Like it wanted to look old school but modern at the same time.. And it was sort of hard to customize .. Like for example i think bikes with the FL front ends look the best with ape handers but the Fatboy didnt to me because of the solid wheels.. The Slim is the same exact bike as the Fatboy just with the skinnier rear which actually would make it handle better,.. But to me the Slim has way more style and alot more potential to customize and alot more Old school looking..

Old 05-21-2015, 01:18 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Always a Breakout. I've wanted one, ever since I saw it.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:31 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Breakout, but you have to lower the rear!

Old 05-21-2015, 01:36 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Meh...
Captain America rides a Slim.

Last edited by jam436; 05-21-2015 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:38 PM
snappyfish
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Voted Breakout, cant stop looking at it.. dam stunning!

Old 05-21-2015, 01:59 PM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

I can understand the dilemma... both are great looking bikes. A few months back I entertained the idea of replacing my 48 with one of them... At the time, I just could not decide. That and the lousy trade-in they would have given me just kept me with what I currently have.

Out of the dealer, the Breakout, imho, has the better packaged deal... I too wished it had floorboards. I started looking at anything that could be installed and just got tired of looking... could not find something quickly. I like that it has tubeless tires/wheels, the rear wide tire, and so many details already as part of the bike in stock form. There is really very little that I would do to it...

The Slim just feels/look closer to the Sportster. Something that I like very much. The ride is sweet and comfortable. It looks like a great canvas to start modifying... It was a perfect fit for me...

I voted Slim only based on ride comfort as I am too stretched on the Breakout. But if I could do floorboards and pullbacks on the Breakout, it would be Breakout all the way ... but really... I could have gone either way... best of luck trying to decide

Old 05-21-2015, 02:08 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,165 Likes on 6,216 Posts

I'm all honesty, it's like asking what kind of underwear to buy. You gave to go with what fits.

You have to take a good test ride, not just around the corner on about three to five bikes before buying, if you intend on having a bike as garage decoration or a museum piece, then get what is the most visually appealing,

Breakouts look very cool, except for the stupid speedometer dash setup, but at the same time, my back hurts just imagining riding it for any length of time. It's more or less a Rocker without the rocker fender/swing arm.

The Slims are very cool, but fit a smaller person better than a larger person.

Don't buy any bike with the designation of "Lo". By definition, they have less suspension travel and therefore won't ride as well, especially on crappy roads. The Lo bikes also have reduced lean angles.

You might be asking what do I ride. It's a 1995 Heritage Softail Classic. Yep, carbureted Evo that feels right. It's not ideal for everyone, but is perfect for me.

That's the kind of thinking and feeling you need if it is something you are going to really ride.

It's also advisable to bring the wife along for the test ride.

Test ride these:

Breakout, Slim, Fat Boy, Heritage, Street Bob, Road King, and Wide Glide

The Street Bob is the best bang for the buck. The Heritage is the best do everything bike in my opinion. The Fat Boy is a Heritage with more bad *** attitude. Breakout wins as garage decoration if you are not young, skinny, and limber.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:34 PM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 635 Likes on 326 Posts

I'm all honesty, it's like asking what kind of underwear to buy. You gave to go with what fits.

You have to take a good test ride, not just around the corner on about three to five bikes before buying, if you intend on having a bike as garage decoration or a museum piece, then get what is the most visually appealing,

Breakouts look very cool, except for the stupid speedometer dash setup, but at the same time, my back hurts just imagining riding it for any length of time. It's more or less a Rocker without the rocker fender/swing arm.

The Slims are very cool, but fit a smaller person better than a larger person.

Don't buy any bike with the designation of "Lo". By definition, they have less suspension travel and therefore won't ride as well, especially on crappy roads. The Lo bikes also have reduced lean angles.

You might be asking what do I ride. It's a 1995 Heritage Softail Classic. Yep, carbureted Evo that feels right. It's not ideal for everyone, but is perfect for me.

That's the kind of thinking and feeling you need if it is something you are going to really ride.

It's also advisable to bring the wife along for the test ride.

Test ride these:

Breakout, Slim, Fat Boy, Heritage, Street Bob, Road King, and Wide Glide

The Street Bob is the best bang for the buck. The Heritage is the best do everything bike in my opinion. The Fat Boy is a Heritage with more bad *** attitude. Breakout wins as garage decoration if you are not young, skinny, and limber.
To me i pretty much rode every bike dyna ,softail and even touring over the years owning and testing.. The main thing is even if you test them at the dealership its still not enough.. Takes weeks to learn a bike and decide if you like it or not.. It will give you the basic idea tho.. But the other thing is you actually when buying in the same family of bikes can choose buy looks.. All softails are really the same bike with just different mods. You can change the seat and set up for more comfort and ridability on any of them. Just like the Slim i sat on one at the dealer 2 years ago didnt know if i really liked it then mainly because i thought the stock seat suck a$$.. So right off the bat i know for a fact thats the first mod i do if i get it.. Same with the Breakout those drag bars will kill being bent over for a peroid of time so you change them out for pull back ones and transform the ride.. Its so hard to decide on a bike in stock form at a dealer.. Even then 80% of your decision most times is what look you like the best at that time.. And then when you get it home you make the bike fit...

Quick Reply: Slim vs Breakout?